Shell New Motion Charger At Aldi .

Lovemyev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi - There is a new Aldi store opened close by, that only opened this week.
It has four well marked, dedicated EV bays feed by two Shell New Motion units.
7 kw I would hazard a guess ?.
Not much information on how to use them ?.
I have scanned the QR code on the side and it comes up with the following info, that suggests that it is NOT for public use ?.
Maybe it is not fully commissioned yet ?.
I will try and include the photos.
Has anybody got any experience of using thee units and are they RFID / contactless units.
If they are not free, then this beat the object really because Tesco next door, has free vend Pod point units !.

Attachments

• 0916FED0-5B0D-4F7D-8084-6E72AF83B71E.png
    0916FED0-5B0D-4F7D-8084-6E72AF83B71E.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 228
  • EA7AF68B-9AD6-473A-936D-AAB322102209.jpeg
    EA7AF68B-9AD6-473A-936D-AAB322102209.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 284
  • C520C167-45D9-4743-8AB9-3292EB836F5A.jpeg
    C520C167-45D9-4743-8AB9-3292EB836F5A.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 93C898A3-60C9-4356-9357-CC41D2E51DE7.jpeg
    93C898A3-60C9-4356-9357-CC41D2E51DE7.jpeg
    849 KB · Views: 232
  • FA968B39-DDA8-4B55-B947-2623062D631E.jpeg
    FA968B39-DDA8-4B55-B947-2623062D631E.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 673
Hi - There is a new Aldi store opened close by, that only opened this week.
It has four well marked, dedicated EV bays feed by two Shell New Motion units.
7 kw I would hazard a guess ?.
Not much information on how to use them ?.
I have scanned the QR code on the side and it comes up with the following info, that suggests that it is NOT for public use ?.
Maybe it is not fully commissioned yet ?.
I will try and include the photos.
Has anybody got any experience of using thee units and are they RFID / contactless units.
If they are not free, then this beat the object really because Tesco next door, has free vend Pod point units !.
I have charged at a local Aldi with a Pod point charger a many times with no problem .a few months ago a new Aldi opened a stones throw from me with the new motion chargers .over the last few months i have tried many many times to charge ,but always unsuccesfull. at the original aldi i use an app and blue is not charging and green is charging ,easy.... With the newmotion it goes green when i plug it in then blue when i lock the car and i figured it is just not compatible . I have tried my shell rfid card which beeps ,but doesn't seem to do anything . Today i wondered if it is charging when blue so i plugged it in to see ,but the light went flashing red 'not working' .. maybe one day it will work

Good to see chargers at Aldi - noticed a Lidl in North Wales (Llandudno Junction) with some 50kWh chargers so interesting to see what Aldi are fitting.

Just noticed these aren't tethered - so not 50kW obviously :-(

Interesting. I've scanned the photo of the QR Code and I suspect that they are not in service yet since it is a newly opened store. What do the Store Customer Services say?
This could be possible because the store has only been open about three days.
I did not have time to go into the store and it was very busy !.
There is a Mc Donald’s next door and as I left, I spotted a small white van with decals on the back doors, that had something to do with EV charging both domestic and commercial.
Could have been somebody using the fast food place, because if he was attending to the charging units, you would have thought he would be parked right in front of them ?.
I could not see any lights on the front plate of the units either ?????.

Just noticed these aren't tethered - so not 50kW obviously :-(
No - I am thinking 7.0 kw units X4.
A rapid placed here would have out voted the Tesco units for speed, that’s for sure !.
How long does a Aldi shop take ?.
30 mins maybe ?.
Just enough time to grab about 10 - 12 miles ???.
Is it worth the bother - really ?.
30 mins on a rapid gives some serious mileage of course.

No - I am thinking 7.0 kw units X4.
A rapid placed here would have out voted the Tesco units for speed, that’s for sure !.
How long does a Aldi shop take ?.
30 mins maybe ?.
Just enough time to grab about 10 - 12 miles ???.
Is it worth the bother - really ?.
30 mins on a rapid gives some serious mileage of course.
The identical ones at our new local Aldi are 3 phase 22kw chargers .

Interesting. The Aldi store near me has just reopened after refurbishment and has these exact chargers as well, if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can get a look next time I'm there. Hopefully free to use as Sainsbury's across the road has free Pod Point chargers!

Maybe they are for staff or company delivery vans ?

Interesting. The Aldi store near me has just reopened after refurbishment and has these exact chargers as well, if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can get a look next time I'm there. Hopefully free to use as Sainsbury's across the road has free Pod Point chargers!
Please let us know how you get on !.

This initiative was announced a year ago:
Thanks for the information @Joe !.
It does stay in the statement, if it is plug and play ( free vend ) or what is required to activate these units ??.
Or am I missing something ?.

There's a relatively new ALDI in Ruthin that has these chargers. They also don't seem to work. I spoke to the manager and they said they don't know anything about them as they are made to have them fitted but they're not their responsibility.

There's a relatively new ALDI in Ruthin that has these chargers. They also don't seem to work. I spoke to the manager and they said they don't know anything about them as they are made to have them fitted but they're not their responsibility.
Typical “Not My Problem” type of responce really.
He drives a ICE car for sure, otherwise they would be up and running by now.
More concerned that his 3 pallet loads of beans has not arrived in time.
This defeats the whole point of having them installed in the first place, don’t you think !.
How long will it take, before people in ICE cars start to use these dedicated EV spaces, because they see that nobody is using them ?.
Once that becomes the norm, your pretty much screwed.
All that money spent on planning, running cables and all the other infrastructure, now all held up waiting for somebody in an office, just to add these units to the system, before somebody can throw a switch and power them up.
It’s not like they have not had enough time, the rebuild has taken about 9 months !.
To be far to Tesco next door, from the point when they started installing the Pod Point units, they where up and running in about 4 to 5 weeks.
This included cutting a 50 foot long trench right through the car park for the cable run, and back into the shop.
I would how many people will try to unsuccessfully connect to these units, before they actually get them working ?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom