Shell to close 1000 petrol stations.

Cheaper cars ? Easier available charging ( at home and elsewhere )? . Resoration of of grants for EV purchase ( especially when we have to pay VED ) ?
Think Merkans and oil/petrol. We, as an island nation could've invested sufficiently to make renewables electricity virtually free - imagine 🤔

Going forward, DC charging is going to become something for long trips only. The chargers will be needed on motorways and trunk roads, not in city centres.
But what about holiday areas? We're off to Conwy for a week in May. If we can't charge at the accommodation I don't want to be spending several hours at an AC charger, I want a fast charge by a café. The other option is banks of AC chargers at holiday spots, such as NT properties or near beaches.

Think Merkans and oil/petrol. We, as an island nation could've invested sufficiently to make renewables electricity virtually free - imagine 🤔
Virtually free! Now that would have been a major incentive for more people to jump on board. Call me cynical though but I suspect once there’s more people even using home charging the prices will go up, they will get their money somehow.

I do believe things are moving in the right direction but I don’t think it’s going to happen as quickly as some would like. Again recently there were 5 EU members ( Italy & Portugal being 2 ) that are asking for the 2035 ban on new ICE cars to be pushed back to 2040.

& god knows what the U.K. will end up doing, most of the time they are about as useful as a fart in a thunderstorm & I don’t see that changing anytime in the near future.

Right now I’m having to rely on public charging until we move home early next year. Now I do save a little ( not much ) compared to my last car ( diesel ) but depending on what ICE car you have, they say it’s cheaper to run a petrol car than to charge an EV. So if the price of public charging could come down I’m sure that would help people jump over, especially those who can’t have a home charger.

I agree. But even then, in a city, how many miles is anyone going to do in a single day, realistically? More than the range of their vehicle? Again, I think if people can charge overnight they will, and ubiquitous type 2 charging would probably keep most business reps and commercial vehicles going in a city.

In rural areas, obviously not, but again these people would be looking at DC chargers on motorways and trunk roads rather than town centres. I'm not exactly against DC chargers, but I think that in the longer term banks of the things in cities and towns might be a bit underutilised.
I was thinkiing more of cars.trucks and vans which travel up and down the country from one place to another. When they get to their first destination a hundred miles away, they would have to charge before moving on to the next destination which may be another hundred miles.

Can't help feeling there's a clue there as to how this whole EV thing could've been handled slightly better to encourage the masses. Not sure how as it's waaaay above my paygrade but...
I think it was because the government let the networks do what they liked without any official guidlines or regulation. Eventually, they had to step in and insist on all chargers be able to accept contactless payments. It's the video recorder wars all over again. :)

As most of the other oil companies are signed up to net-zero I wonder which ones will be next to follow suit.

Norway is a great example of the way to go. They converted their grid to renewables years ago and have really embraced electric vehicles - quite something when you consider the shape of the country and the small population. They have a state company for fossil fuels so that the country gets the benefit of North Sea Oil and Gas (see $1.6 trillion (yes trillion) sovereign wealth fund generating a profit of $213 billion in 2023). When Russia invaded Ukraine the Norwegians just watched the extra revenue flooding in. We could have done that....

Be interesting to see how the antis react, 1000 petrol stations is around 12% of the total of UK petrol stations. Certainly around here Shell are amongst the most expensive for dino juice so maybe it will those that get less use. Shell seem to be doing a 'Toyota' at the moment I'm sure they announced last year they were going to sell of their EV charging business to concentrate on petroleum??????.

I noticed a few days back part of the ground floor of our local Sainsbury car park is closed off, a lot of work being done.

My wife’s friend said they are putting in some public chargers ( I believe I read recently quite a few Sainsbury’s were doing the same ) If this is true I’m hoping they will be a little cheaper than the average 👍

I noticed a few days back part of the ground floor of our local Sainsbury car park is closed off, a lot of work being done.

My wife’s friend said they are putting in some public chargers ( I believe I read recently quite a few Sainsbury’s were doing the same ) If this is true I’m hoping they will be a little cheaper than the average 👍
Funnily enough...
Just used the one in Wolves this a.m. for the first time.
Kempower chargers. Quick and easy but not much cheaper, mebbes 1-2p kwh than current local competition.

Standard price for Sainsbury's is 75p.

Be interesting to see how the antis react, 1000 petrol stations is around 12% of the total of UK petrol stations. Certainly around here Shell are amongst the most expensive for dino juice so maybe it will those that get less use. Shell seem to be doing a 'Toyota' at the moment I'm sure they announced last year they were going to sell of their EV charging business to concentrate on petroleum??????.

It's 1000 petrol stations WORLDWIDE. Most of them are in China. Don't get too excited.

Can't help feeling there's a clue there as to how this whole EV thing could've been handled slightly better to encourage the masses. Not sure how as it's waaaay above my paygrade but...
Most people i speak to are afraid of being stranded on the side of the road with a flat battery. Despite the obvious means to avoid this it's still a very prominent and irrational fear.

Most people i speak to are afraid of being stranded on the side of the road with a flat battery. Despite the obvious means to avoid this it's still a very prominent and irrational fear.

I suspect people had the same fears when petrol cars first became available.

"My horse can travel for days on grass"

How can Tesla afford to sell the same electricity @ 44p(ish) as all the rest seem to need to sell @ 75p(ish) ?
Presumably they've got a very successful business model on the go there ? 🤔

Isn't the 44p (ish) price dependant on a monthly fee?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240322-213724.png
    Screenshot_20240322-213724.png
    142 KB · Views: 19
Lots of Project Fear and whataboutery for sure. I act as an EV ambassador and take as many ICE mates out as possible, educating as I go and, to be fair, they do seem relatively open-minded about it as we go. They can see my enthusiasm and obviously hold me in high regard 😂😂.

It actually flies in the face of my instinct about it as the sooner the balance shifts, the sooner we'll have to pay ved.
Discourage, discourage, discourage 😱 terrible ideas EVs 😂😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom