Shell to close 1000 petrol stations.

Take what I’m saying here with the proverbial and don’t quote me as gospel… but this is what I gather from watching this space. I don’t have inside knowledge this is just speculation.

Oil supermajors literally haven’t got a clue.
They are struggling to figure out where the different markets worldwide are going.
Unless they manufacture their own chargers, the long term vision of DC chargers everywhere isn’t going to make them any money: they don’t build their own chargers and therefore once the market is saturated they have no business in maintaining the infrastructure.
On the other hand, because they are energy companies, they can operate at much larger scale by trading and shipping: so their future could be in the trading, distribution and supply of clean energy; they have huge resources.
Hence why they seem to be keeping on changing their mind: until they have a clear multi decade strategy, they are playing the market but are not yet committed to any particular strategy. And I bet they are spending tens of millions trying to figure out how to outsmart each other.
Naturally, it will be consumers who will dictate what the winning strategy is, and Tesla is playing a major role in this.

Standard price for Sainsbury's is 75p.
That surprises me. I thought they would be a little cheaper than most. In fact the Mer chargers I regularly use are 3p/kWh cheaper.

Well I’m having to rely now on public chargers until we move home next February & I can then have a home charger.

But even using public chargers, I’m still saving a few pennies to what my previous Ford diesel cost me.

Here on the Isle of Wight they say there will be an extra 25 public charging locations by the end of 2025 but to attract more people to EVs they really have to bring the prices down especially for those (& there’s MANY) who can’t have a home charge & will have to rely 100% on public charging.

Slowly it’s moving in the right direction but I don’t think it’s going to happen in the time frame the powers that be are telling us now.

Last edited by a moderator:
That surprises me. I thought they would be a little cheaper than most. In fact the Mer chargers I regularly use are 3p/kwh cheaper.
I think when more of the different supermarkets have chargers, there will be a price battle like there is with the petrol and diesel. After all, they will have potential customers waiting 20 to 30 minutes whilst they charge. What are those EV drivers going to do? Sh*t, shop, and sit (in the cafe). :)

I think when more of the different supermarkets have chargers, there will be a price battle like there is with the petrol and diesel. After all, they will have potential customers waiting 20 to 30 minutes whilst they charge. What are those EV drivers going to do? Sh*t, shop, and sit (in the cafe). :)
When the local Sainsbury's installed their new chargers they took out the free Podpoints they had, saved me a fortune as I don't not stop by for a 'free' charge anymore, so it has saved all the coffees and all day breakfasts that I used to buy in order to stay a little longer on the 'free' charger!

Most people i speak to are afraid of being stranded on the side of the road with a flat battery. Despite the obvious means to avoid this it's still a very prominent and irrational fear.
500 quid will buy you a 2 kWh storage unit to keep in the boot!. Enough to get you 5 or 6 miles to the nearest other place you could charge more from. You might wait for an hour for it to charge though. Not saying I would but its there for those who are irrationally afraid of being stranded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m just hoping there will be a time limit on your charging.

That way the wife have to get a move on & not visiting the same shopping aisles multiple times 😝😂

Last edited:
I noticed a few days back part of the ground floor of our local Sainsbury car park is closed off, a lot of work being done.

My wife’s friend said they are putting in some public chargers ( I believe I read recently quite a few Sainsbury’s were doing the same ) If this is true I’m hoping they will be a little cheaper than the average 👍
SH*T my local Sainsbury, currently FREE charging, suppose this`ll be the end of that! too good to last!. Time to look out for them cheap night rates l keep hearing about??? :unsure:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom