Short EV Life

Ria

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I'm new to this forum and have a HS Hybrid. I had it as a first taste of Hybrid. Only 31 miles on 100% battery so have to charge often am I doing something wrong or do other people have the same issue? Thank you

You are doing nothing wrong I use my every day to work and back on EV and have 60% to % 70% left depending on the time of year. It gets charged each night, when you purchased the car you would have known it was not self charging which by the sound of it you should have gone with but why use petrol to charge at today’s price. If I knew what I know now I should have gone full electri.

Last edited:
Yes that's correct , I get approx 38 during the summer months and then 28-30 in the winter months.read everything you can about phev driving, watch every video. Charge vehicle after each use, l aim to leave home with a full battery and return home with an empty one. Force vehicle into EV mode in urban situations and ICE mode in motorway and A road driving. Use regeneration braking as much as you can, be light footed. I actually enjoy driving the phev, instead of just sitting there and stamping on the throttle you actually have to think about it, and drive it.
I have had mine four months and in that time I have refueld petrol twice and I still have 240 miles in the tank.
I think it is a brilliant vehicle in all aspects, sure it has some foibles but you get used to them.
My next car will be a MG EV in a couple of years, there will be new battery technology.
Use it as it meant to be used and you will love it. Jeff Golding

You are doing nothing wrong I use my every day to work and back on EV and have 60% to % 70% left depending on the time of year. It gets charged each night, when you purchased the car you would have known it was not self charging which by the sound of it you should have gone with but why use petrol to charge at today’s price. If I knew what I know now I should have gone full electri.
As far as I am aware, all hybrids - mild, less mild and plug-ins are "self charging". My PHEV certainly is.

Thank you, I wasn't told there was no self charge as other makes do self charge but the plug in should have given me a clue. Quite prepared to stick with it. Thanks again 👍

There is a self charge but not like a hybrid that has only the engine to charge the car.to 100%. The charge on this car will go to 80% but cost a lot in MPG which will be some where around 25 MPG it’s cheaper to charge the car. By Charing you get a average 140 to 150 MPG if doing short journey on EV

My first EV was an Outlander PHEV with similar battery range. As other posters have said, you get used to driving more economically, letting the regen slow you down before roundabouts etc

I hated it when the ICE kicked in, you will love a full EV and wont want to go back.

It does self charge, but not to the extent full hybrids do - you can see what's going on if you keep the graphic showing the two motors and the power flow in context whilst you're driving.

It does self charge, but not to the extent full hybrids do - you can see what's going on if you keep the graphic showing the two motors and the power flow in context whilst you're driving.
My PHEV - BMW225Xe - can self charge from zero to 100% no problem. Sensible use of mode - going down hill and needing to brake use the right mode - costs nothing in mpg. Averaging around 70mpg over 5 years all weathers, all times of the year.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom