Should a MG5 Long range be changed 100%

Parag Dhande

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Should a MG5 Long range be changed 100% since on some forums I see that NMC (Discover MG5 Electric) batteries unlike LFP should not be charged 100%. Mainly the issue is that MG 5 software does not have an option to stop automatically at 80% if one wishes to do so, this comparatively is a an easy fix and I was wondering if MG is planning on releasing such a fix or even if its needed or not. Does anyone know?

General advice on here (and in the manual) is that it should be charged to 100% at least once a month to allow the cells to balance.

Bear in mind that there is some headroom already and the battery management system handles that. Although your dashboard might say '100%', that doesn't necessarily mean that the cells are as full as they could possibly get. You often see the battery capacity quoted as 'total' and 'useable' to accommodate that. From memory, that's around 61kWh and 57 kWh on the pre-fl 5LR.

Think of it like a hard disk on a PC. They quote 256Gb as the total capacity, but the usable space for your data is slightly less due to file system tables etc.

Common advice on here also seems to be not to LEAVE the battery at 100% for extended periods (as in, don't fully charge it then go off on holiday for a fortnight). Consensus seems to keep it around the halfway mark (or, at least between 20 and 80) for that.

Thank you for all the responses. I also feel that the battery depletes quit fast. Any good advice on how do a measure that part? Can the dashboard indications be fully trusted?

Thank you for all the responses. I also feel that the battery depletes quit fast. Any good advice on how do a measure that part? Can the dashboard indications be fully trusted?
Yeah, the M/KwH display is your friend here. . What are you getting at the moment?

As for reducing it, the same rules apply as trying to improve your MPG in an ICE car.

Basically, slower, safer and more sensible driving. Leave enough distance to avoid unnecessary/harsh braking, Gentler acceleration and slowing at junctions, and the big one:

Keep it at 60/65 tops on motorways. There's a whole explanation around drag and the inverse square law or something, but simply put that extra 10MPH from 60 to 70 has a big impact on drag (and 70 - 80 considerably more so). Seriously, in my old diesel driving at 60 instead of 70 gave a fuel (and cost) reduction of about 20% for the same journey.

The only difference here is the motivation. In the ICE car, it was all about cost. in the EV the pence per mile is much lower (well, with home charging it is) so it becomes about range. If you're not going that far - sod it and have fun. (but not too much as you'll be replacing your front tyres before you know it!)

Also, if you think it's depleting fast now, just wait till the winter kicks in...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom