Should I replace my PR-FL excite with a new MG5 (probably SE)??

CuriousIslander

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
My pre-facelift MG5 Excite SR is just coming up to 3 years old and my dealer is about to try to persuade me to change. The question is - should I?

Can anyone tell me, succinctly, what are the benefits of the latest 5 over the original? I am particularly interested to know whether it can take advantage of Tesla chargers when on the road. I would probably go for the SE rather than the Trophy as I am not very fond of the "leather" seats. Any advice is welcome.

Many thanks
Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
MG are doing themselves no favours with the Tesla issue . If you're happy with the car ,I would suggest stick with it until the Tesla issue is resolved ..if it does so :unsure:

A month ago, I was contacted by my MG dealer, if I would be interested in trading in for a new day @ year 2 - end May 24.
But though we got really good ( excellent)prices with both our ICE engines cars.
Our MG5 LR is valued at £16,000 at most, so a loss of £14,500 ( did get a free spare wheel).
Would be nice to consider in the future but can't see this ever happening, and as this might be the most reliable car in the 2 years we have had it in the last 20 years( yes honest, every car( and motorhome and motorcycle)) has had so many problems most eventually fixed in time IE 6 months to 2 years .

My pre-facelift MG5 Excite SR is just coming up to 3 years old and my dealer is about to try to persuade me to change. The question is - should I?
Hello Andrew
Out of curiosity, how much is the dealer offering you as a trade-in?
Mickey

Can anyone tell me, succinctly, what are the benefits of the latest 5 over the original? I am particularly interested to know whether it can take advantage of Tesla chargers when on the road. I would probably go for the SE rather than the Trophy as I am not very fond of the "leather" seats. Any advice is welcome.

Many thanks
Andrew
I have a FL Trophy but never owned the PFL.
My thoughts from seeing them both in the showroom.
PRO
  • The info system is nicer.
  • The car looks a little more modern.
  • The app while simple is useful specially when using public chargers (check progress).
  • The app remote prewarm is nice in winter.
  • You can charge at a Tesla open charger if you have the latest software.
  • The roof bars.
  • Headlights are better.
  • I like the look/feel of the interior.

CON
  • From what I have read (mostly on here) it looks like the PFL gets better millage. The fancy wheels on the trophy seem to nock 20 miles of the max range compared to the PFL.
  • I agree the "leather" seats are not the best but I have wool seat covers in the front so does not bother me.
  • Right hand drive the left rest is way to close to the driver and I find it hard to find a good resting position. This is also made worse by the centre console curving in towards the peddles so your left feels pushed to the right too much.

MG are doing themselves no favours with the Tesla issue . If you're happy with the car ,I would suggest stick with it until the Tesla issue is resolved ..if it does so :unsure:
Thank you all for your comments particularly about the Tesla issue. Since my 5 is the "bog standard original" SR are there any factors that I should be considering in a newer model such as bigger battery/longer range, better lights and general all-round improvements that are compelling, or should I stay with what I have got? At the moment most of my miles are done on the Isle of Wight and I charge at home. I have not found charging on longer trips away from home to be much of an issue as I only do about half a dozen or so such trips each year, although I begrudge paying Instavolt/Osprey/anyone else's prices, which is why I raised the Tesla question. I am due to visit the dealership in the next few days, so let's see what they have to say, I think.

Once again, thanks to all responders.

Hello Andrew
Out of curiosity, how much is the dealer offering you as a trade-in?
Mickey
That is an unknown at the moment. I will presumably find out when I visit the dealership in the next few days.

I suppose you don't really need the long range if most of your motoring is in the Isle Of Wight . Later models will have better integrated apps and better headlights than the the original 5 ( which I think are poor ) . I suppose it depends how much you want them . One thing I've noticed though is that most of the FL 5s seem to do less miles to Kw than my pre FL 5 . Maybe my driving style is better ?

One thing I've noticed though is that most of the FL 5s seem to do less miles to Kw than my pre FL 5 . Maybe my driving style is better ?
Driving style certainly is a big factor but don’t forget, most FL 5s run on them fancy 17” wheels

Last edited:
I had an Exclusive SR, recently changed to the Trophy. I agree with slmorgan42 about the pros and cons. The facelift is a bigger improvement from the SR, because of the larger battery and MG Pilot. Whilst the extra range feels nice, it hasn't in reality made much difference. The SR went farther on a long trip than I can, and I did over 48,000 miles in it all over the UK and France. As for efficiency, I have noticed no real difference despite the wheels. I fitted LED headlight bulbs and it passed its MOT fine, mainly because the beam pattern was well controlled. It certainly improves the lighting; oddly enough, the headlights on the Trophy seem virtually the same.
Only you can determine whether the Tesla update is worth it. I never worried about its lack on the SR. Since having it done on the the Trophy, I used it for a trip to Wales, there and back. No real difference or indeed, advantage save for the cost.

Driving style certainly is a big factor but don’t forget, most FL 5s run on them fancy 17” wheels
I get that to an extent , but I can't see the the 1" difference in wheel size making that much of a difference . The weight difference must be ,or should be , marginal

I get that to an extent , but I can't see the the 1" difference in wheel size making that much of a difference . The weight difference must be ,or should be , marginal
Weight is not the issue:

The most significant gain would be the range with an LR version.
Mind you there are some great prices on the pre FL LR version with low miles and some registered in 2023? So you could get the main benefit at minimal cost. The only other real gane with the FL version is the improved head lights.
I shall stick with my pre face lift SR as it does not have the MG pilot software (being a covid special they did not have the parts !)
See how long it lasts before it dies (It might out last me?)

Mind you there are some great prices on the pre FL LR version with low miles and some registered in 2023? So you could get the main benefit at minimal cost.
Given the oversupply of EVs and solid battery technology just around the corner, IMHO it doesn’t make much sense currently to invest in a new EV but @Fokmg is right, there are some great second hand bargains out there, but that will obviously affect your own trade-in value.

The advantages of the SE over the Excite for me are the roof bars, extra range and the app to help monitor charging. Sadly when I was invited to discuss an upgrade with my local dealer I found my SR Excite is in negative equity on the current finance and so a deal couldn’t be made, otherwise I’d have gone for the SE

I had an Exclusive SR, recently changed to the Trophy. I agree with slmorgan42 about the pros and cons. The facelift is a bigger improvement from the SR, because of the larger battery and MG Pilot. Whilst the extra range feels nice, it hasn't in reality made much difference. The SR went farther on a long trip than I can, and I did over 48,000 miles in it all over the UK and France. As for efficiency, I have noticed no real difference despite the wheels. I fitted LED headlight bulbs and it passed its MOT fine, mainly because the beam pattern was well controlled. It certainly improves the lighting; oddly enough, the headlights on the Trophy seem virtually the same.
Only you can determine whether the Tesla update is worth it. I never worried about its lack on the SR. Since having it done on the the Trophy, I used it for a trip to Wales, there and back. No real difference or indeed, advantage save for the cost.
I also like the fact that you can reliably see the status of the Tesla chargers while you are on the road. We found a number of nice Tesla chargers in hotel car parks on a recent trip to Amsterdam. It made the stops very civilised.

Thank you all for your various comments and advice, but, having previously considered just upgrading my 5 for a new one, I have actually just signed up for an MG4 Trophy, having been in the dealership today! I looked carefully at all the options, and it seems to me sensible to change to the 4 from the 5 as I don't really any longer need the extra boot space and they were offering me a good deal on one of their "stock" cars. All in all I got about £5k in discounts by the time they factored in the deal they are giving me on my 5 Excite (£10500) and various others.
It just seems sensible to go for a more modern design and go for the 4. I can't help thinking that the 5 is now fundamentally an old(er) design, and it wouldn't surprise me to see MG stop producing it soon. So I will be transferring form this forum to the MG4 forum when I pick up my new toy at the end of next week.
Happy Days!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom