Should I take the plunge to MG EV?

iando1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi Everyone. I'm new to the group. I'm hoping you guys can give me a steer (pardon the pun) to whether I should change to electric just now?
I currently have a 5 year old Ford Kuga diesel 4x4 that has been fine, but before too many things start going wrong with it, I thought 'd get a new car with a nice warranty. The Kuga is currently in having its faulty alarm repaired, which will cost over £300! I have been swithering about getting the new PHEV Kuga - but it's pretty pricey, has has has battery issues and there's a long build time on them. A friend of mine, who works for Audi said to avoid PHEV cars as essentially I'm paying for two engines.

My commute is only a few miles down the road, and other than that it's daily trips to the park with the dogs and a drive to the gym - occasionally trips north to the in-laws , who live about 200 miles away. On average I drive only about 6000-7000 miles.

I'm finding it hard to justify a big spend on a new car, when I do relatively few miles. However I'm keen to go from my dirty diesel to a cleaner car - especially as they are introducing a low emission zone in Edinburgh City Centre in the next couple of years.

MG caught my eye as the cars seem more sensibly priced for that initial step to electric. I'm test driving the MG5 and MG ZS on Friday. I prefer the look of the ZS as I'm used to a higher SUV ride - but would be grateful for your thoughts. I'm also looking to test drive the Skoda Enyaq - but I think it will be too pricey. The only things currently putting me off MG at the moment are...

Why don't see many of them on the road??
Lack of heated windscreens
Range of the ZS (is there another better range model due??)
Lack of privacy glass
Whether they keep their value
No app for charging and pre-heating the car..

Many thanks,
Ian

I’ve had an exclusive since September last year done over 19000 miles. I had a New Kadjar before but Covid hit and car sharing stopped so I got the MG ZS EV. It has once not started and was away for 5 days being checked over. The car is really good and is just a bit different from ICE cars but I haven’t looked back.
I commute from East Lothian to Glasgow daily 110 mile round trip. I trickle charge the car at work so only cost around £2.50 to £3.00 a day.
It has the odd quirk but I’m quite impressed.
Servicing is cheap and it’s been reliable.
Town driving I say Edinburgh during warm weather you’ll probably get 160 miles plus but if you drive much above 65/70 on motorways only get around 120 ish.
High winds reduce range and cold weather but overall it covers my needs.
I’ve never driven MG5 EV. So I can’t comment but it’s range is a bit better.

We went from a Ford with heated windscreen to the ZS EV, it defrosts reasonably well in the winter despite not having one. Condensation inside is a big problem though - so get some desiccant sacks and leave them on the dash in the winter 👍

We went from a Ford with heated windscreen to the ZS EV, it defrosts reasonably well in the winter despite not having one. Condensation inside is a big problem though - so get some desiccant sacks and leave them on the dash in the winter 👍
Hi. I've heard about the condensation issue - that's very off putting. Is it just the ZS that has this problem?

The condensation issue is poor in winter / cold/ heavy rain if you don’t have the fan on high speed with a bit of heat or a/c running.
Having the blower fan running reduces range by around 12-15 miles from full range.
I have never really had any issues if I have the fan running.
In dry weather I just crack sunroof open and the natural airflow keeps screen clear.

The condensation issue is poor in winter / cold/ heavy rain if you don’t have the fan on high speed with a bit of heat or a/c running.
Having the blower fan running reduces range by around 12-15 miles from full range.
I have never really had any issues if I have the fan running.
In dry weather I just crack sunroof open and the natural airflow keeps screen clear.
I'm very taken by the sunroof...even living in Scotland!

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the group. I'm hoping you guys can give me a steer (pardon the pun) to whether I should change to electric just now?
I currently have a 5 year old Ford Kuga diesel 4x4 that has been fine, but before too many things start going wrong with it, I thought 'd get a new car with a nice warranty. The Kuga is currently in having its faulty alarm repaired, which will cost over £300! I have been swithering about getting the new PHEV Kuga - but it's pretty pricey, has has has battery issues and there's a long build time on them. A friend of mine, who works for Audi said to avoid PHEV cars as essentially I'm paying for two engines.

My commute is only a few miles down the road, and other than that it's daily trips to the park with the dogs and a drive to the gym - occasionally trips north to the in-laws , who live about 200 miles away. On average I drive only about 6000-7000 miles.

I'm finding it hard to justify a big spend on a new car, when I do relatively few miles. However I'm keen to go from my dirty diesel to a cleaner car - especially as they are introducing a low emission zone in Edinburgh City Centre in the next couple of years.

MG caught my eye as the cars seem more sensibly priced for that initial step to electric. I'm test driving the MG5 and MG ZS on Friday. I prefer the look of the ZS as I'm used to a higher SUV ride - but would be grateful for your thoughts. I'm also looking to test drive the Skoda Enyaq - but I think it will be too pricey. The only things currently putting me off MG at the moment are...

Lack of privacy glass

Many thanks,
Ian
Hi like yourself I just recently made the switch to all electric choosing the ZS ev I have had it for just about a month and so impressed with it. I changed from a 2016 Jaguar F Pace 2.0 diesel AWD with just 22000 miles from new, it had a full warranty and no issues. That said it was due 4 new tyres £1200 and a service £500 so that is why I looked at possibly changing. Went and had a test drive in the ZS ev just to see what they were like with no real intention of changing however the wife and myself were so impressed with the quality performance and running costs including servicing that we signed up there and then. I have not regretted the change I have only done 155 miles total so far as I am retired one charge at home from the granny charger about £3 and 2 charges at the local Tesco £6 for two coffees in the coffee shop. I think there may be be an updated model due out either latter this year or early next year with greater range but no idea what the price will be or if it is actually coming. But if it is and you do not need the greater range then now would probably be a good time to get one, mine was only £25000 all in a saving of about £7500 on list which might be down to the expected updated model and them trying to clear existing stock. I cannot recommend the ZS highly enough but would say go for the exclusive it's worth every penny.

Hi. I've heard about the condensation issue - that's very off putting. Is it just the ZS that has this problem?
My old Toyota CHr and previous Golfs have all had condensation issues.

Echoing what others have said, this is my first EV after decades of petrol and diesel cars in the past.

As said, the ZS is rumoured to be having a newer model in the next 6 months or so, with greater range. Given the mileages you're looking at, I'd be tempted to consider either holding off for a wee while, then snapping up a decent current model (dealer stock) when the new one releases ( which will cover pretty much all your regular driving, but will maybe require a wee bit of planning when you visit the in laws), OR, hang on and see exactly what the next gen versions will be like, and springing for one of those. There's always the 2nd hand option too. May well be some excellent bargains on the market when the Gen 2 arrives.

One of the reasons I picked the ZS over the 5 was all the extra toys in the Exclusive. The sunroof alone is worth a decent chunk more than its actual cost 🤣 And all the bells and whistles cost a fortune to spec in the Enyaq when I looked at it.

Windows don't cost a huge amount to tint (average quotes are around £200, which isn't bad. And the difference it makes to the insurance isn't a huge amount).

Never had a real issue with misting, and if you're only doing a few miles a day, you'll not worry too much about smacking the heating or air con on.

Pre heating is a non issue. It heats up so quickly, even in the dead of winter (bought mine in January, was perfectly comfortable in the snow) that it's really not necessary.

Only tricky choice is which colour to go for 😉 Which, of course, should be black 🤟🤟🤟

Echoing what others have said, this is my first EV after decades of petrol and diesel cars in the past.

As said, the ZS is rumoured to be having a newer model in the next 6 months or so, with greater range. Given the mileages you're looking at, I'd be tempted to consider either holding off for a wee while, then snapping up a decent current model (dealer stock) when the new one releases ( which will cover pretty much all your regular driving, but will maybe require a wee bit of planning when you visit the in laws), OR, hang on and see exactly what the next gen versions will be like, and springing for one of those. There's always the 2nd hand option too. May well be some excellent bargains on the market when the Gen 2 arrives.

One of the reasons I picked the ZS over the 5 was all the extra toys in the Exclusive. The sunroof alone is worth a decent chunk more than its actual cost 🤣 And all the bells and whistles cost a fortune to spec in the Enyaq when I looked at it.

Windows don't cost a huge amount to tint (average quotes are around £200, which isn't bad. And the difference it makes to the insurance isn't a huge amount).

Never had a real issue with misting, and if you're only doing a few miles a day, you'll not worry too much about smacking the heating or air con on.

Pre heating is a non issue. It heats up so quickly, even in the dead of winter (bought mine in January, was perfectly comfortable in the snow) that it's really not necessary.

Only tricky choice is which colour to go for 😉 Which, of course, should be black 🤟🤟🤟
I have to say Red is best lol

Lack of privacy glass

Many thanks,
Ian
Hi. I totally agree with your friend regarding PHEV. I changed from a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV after an over £400 annual service bill. Have had my ZS for about 9 months and love it. I would never go back to an ICE car. Good luck and I hope you get a car to suit your needs. Regards Iain

Hi lando1, and welcome to the forum I agree with a lot of what as been said already on this thread I got the EV bug a couple of years back when my son took me to the fully charged show at Silverstone first one they ever did I think, never been in an a full EV until then my son had just bought a new Outland PHEV at that time which so called had around 30-40 miles range on electric, now he lives in SE London so got about 30 miles in fair weather but in the winter not a chance more like 15/18 miles he was getting being in a lot of traffic everyday with heater on to keep the windows clear seats on to stop him freezings and a very cold petrol engine kicking in and out and giving around 20mpg not good in anyway at all, so after less than 2yrs Outland was sold and he took out a lease on a Tesla model X which he still has he has said several times his lease is not costing him much more than running the outlander did as he does a lot of miles and even on a journey home to the north west the PHEV would only just do 30ish so hybrid no way forget them plug in or not I say.
As for full electric well I will just say there are lots to chose from now and not just MGs which are talked about on this forum there is also a forum entitled General Electric car chat, which has lots of info on all makes and models, me I have the MG5 I must say I’m very please with what it can do before that I had a Skoda superb estate I love estate cars my last 5/6 cars have been estates and when my son told me MG had got an estate out I was there like a shot got a very good deal and place my order for one.
I took delivery in late March and have never looked back since, now nothing is perfect and that also applies to the 5 but for the money it cost to buy and run I can’t believe the value.
My Superbs average mileage a 2.0tdi DSG was around 50mpg could read 58-60 on a long run 200 miles plus, the miles I now have on the MG5 is 4000 thereabouts, the Superb would have had at 50 mpg around 80 gallons of diesel in it to do them 4000 miles that Equates to around £440 at around £5.50 per gallon the MG5 for them 4000 miles as cost me around £30-35 that’s right £30-35

How can that be I hear you and maybe others ask, well on top of the price of the car I bought a Zappi charger around £875 because I have solar panels at home but you know what I haven’t use it much at all really, maybe I’ve been lucky but in the north west there’s plenty of charging for free in lots of super markets and car parks near by, and when I’m at home the car will charge for free on the solar via the zappi as I said maybe I’m lucky to have all this free charging but several times I have had free charges while away on trips lots of places are doing charging for free but even without all this free stuff and solar I bet it would not have cost more than £75-100 pounds to do them 4000 miles with some cheap rate Electricity so a real big saving to be had and don’t forget about the road tax that another couple of hundred pounds I’ve saved, my last service on my Superb was £289 the one before that over £1000 cam belt and DSG gearbox service, MG According to reports on here is less than £100 not had one yet

I too have been looking at the ENYAQ lovely car indeed it is but a lot more money should you wait good question, new models are coming thick and fast and I don’t know, people are saying there could be some good deals to be had on currant MG models due to the long range model 5 just about to go on sale and maybe even a new ZS coming later plus other cars as well but who knows just think how much you could be saving now over the ford in fuel alone.

MG5 not the best car I have ever owned but one of the nicest cars I have ever driven and there as been many over my 75 yrs about 58yrs of driving them, but by far the cheapest mode of transport I have ever known and on top of that I’m pleased I took the plunge into EV motoring that’s for certain it’s a different way of life yes you need to do a bit of planing for long trips but it’s not difficult with apps like Zap-maps I now find myself just going for a drive to enjoy the car that’s something I used to do when petrol was 2 shillings and 6 pence per gallon love my Ev motoring really do
Word of advice if what ever car you decide on if like the MG5 which rated as 214miles of range ignore that, I don’t push it pass about 160-170 miles just in case you get to a charge point its not working still got some good amount of battery left to find another one if need be.

You will find lots of thumbs down points on this forum and others of all makes and models but believe me there’s lot of thumbs up points to EV motoring cost just being one
Les

I am rejecting mine after 6K miles due to an unfixable creaking roof (amongst other faults) It's been off the road 10 weeks since I got it new in December.
I get a new Hyundai Kona Electric in December and it's in a completely different league to the ZS.

I am rejecting mine after 6K miles due to an unfixable creaking roof (amongst other faults) It's been off the road 10 weeks since I got it new in December.
I get a new Hyundai Kona Electric in December and it's in a completely different league to the ZS.

Kona is a much smaller car though. The ZS EV is generally excellent, someone is always unlucky enough to get the Lemon and poor dealer combination. :( I hope you have better luck with the Hyundai.

I Agree!!
if you want to save some dosh, buy a secondhand, low mileage ZS EV for about 17-20k,...with 5+ years of warranty remaining!

With your mileages you may be perfectly able to manage with a granny charger, and save the expense of having one wired in.

I have a Mitsubishi PHEV sat in the corner of my garage gathering dust. They are OK for short trips ....but not for long ones.

I love our MG..its quick, frugal, comfy and reliable......and its always got a full tank of electricity every time I get in it. :)

Last edited:
I Agree!!
if you want to save some dosh, buy a secondhand, low mileage ZS EV for about 17-20k,...with 5+ years of warranty remaining!

With your mileages you may be perfectly able to manage with a granny charger, and save the expense of having one wired in.

I have a Mitsubishi PHEV sat in the corner of my garage gather dust. They are OK for short trips ....but not for long ones.

I love our MG..its quick, frugal, comfy and reliable......and its always got a full tank of electricity even time I get in it. :)
Hi Chris your bang on with that and I total agree yes he would most likely get away with the granny I know I could being retired and not needing a full charge for a set time that’s one of the mistakes I made having my zappi fitted before the car came along as I said in my other post it’s not been used much in fact bet I’ve use the granny as much while away from home as to the warranty all most all the car is out of that by it’s 3rd year bit of a con that and not just on MG cars when your read through the warranty on most EVs in fact all cars warranty is a con but your dead right Chris in what you have said
Les

Strange isn't it as I found the Kona too small and a real rattle box.

Hi lando1, and welcome to the forum I agree with a lot of what as been said already on this thread I got the EV bug a couple of years back when my son took me to the fully charged show at Silverstone first one they ever did I think, never been in an a full EV until then my son had just bought a new Outland PHEV at that time which so called had around 30-40 miles range on electric, now he lives in SE London so got about 30 miles in fair weather but in the winter not a chance more like 15/18 miles he was getting being in a lot of traffic everyday with heater on to keep the windows clear seats on to stop him freezings and a very cold petrol engine kicking in and out and giving around 20mpg not good in anyway at all, so after less than 2yrs Outland was sold and he took out a lease on a Tesla model X which he still has he has said several times his lease is not costing him much more than running the outlander did as he does a lot of miles and even on a journey home to the north west the PHEV would only just do 30ish so hybrid no way forget them plug in or not I say.
As for full electric well I will just say there are lots to chose from now and not just MGs which are talked about on this forum there is also a forum entitled General Electric car chat, which has lots of info on all makes and models, me I have the MG5 I must say I’m very please with what it can do before that I had a Skoda superb estate I love estate cars my last 5/6 cars have been estates and when my son told me MG had got an estate out I was there like a shot got a very good deal and place my order for one.
I took delivery in late March and have never looked back since, now nothing is perfect and that also applies to the 5 but for the money it cost to buy and run I can’t believe the value.
My Superbs average mileage a 2.0tdi DSG was around 50mpg could read 58-60 on a long run 200 miles plus, the miles I now have on the MG5 is 4000 thereabouts, the Superb would have had at 50 mpg around 80 gallons of diesel in it to do them 4000 miles that Equates to around £440 at around £5.50 per gallon the MG5 for them 4000 miles as cost me around £30-35 that’s right £30-35

How can that be I hear you and maybe others ask, well on top of the price of the car I bought a Zappi charger around £875 because I have solar panels at home but you know what I haven’t use it much at all really, maybe I’ve been lucky but in the north west there’s plenty of charging for free in lots of super markets and car parks near by, and when I’m at home the car will charge for free on the solar via the zappi as I said maybe I’m lucky to have all this free charging but several times I have had free charges while away on trips lots of places are doing charging for free but even without all this free stuff and solar I bet it would not have cost more than £75-100 pounds to do them 4000 miles with some cheap rate Electricity so a real big saving to be had and don’t forget about the road tax that another couple of hundred pounds I’ve saved, my last service on my Superb was £289 the one before that over £1000 cam belt and DSG gearbox service, MG According to reports on here is less than £100 not had one yet

I too have been looking at the ENYAQ lovely car indeed it is but a lot more money should you wait good question, new models are coming thick and fast and I don’t know, people are saying there could be some good deals to be had on currant MG models due to the long range model 5 just about to go on sale and maybe even a new ZS coming later plus other cars as well but who knows just think how much you could be saving now over the ford in fuel alone.

MG5 not the best car I have ever owned but one of the nicest cars I have ever driven and there as been many over my 75 yrs about 58yrs of driving them, but by far the cheapest mode of transport I have ever known and on top of that I’m pleased I took the plunge into EV motoring that’s for certain it’s a different way of life yes you need to do a bit of planing for long trips but it’s not difficult with apps like Zap-maps I now find myself just going for a drive to enjoy the car that’s something I used to do when petrol was 2 shillings and 6 pence per gallon love my Ev motoring really do
Word of advice if what ever car you decide on if like the MG5 which rated as 214miles of range ignore that, I don’t push it pass about 160-170 miles just in case you get to a charge point its not working still got some good amount of battery left to find another one if need be.

You will find lots of thumbs down points on this forum and others of all makes and models but believe me there’s lot of thumbs up points to EV motoring cost just being one
Les
Thanks Les for such an informative reply - much appreciated. Ian

Not loving the comments I'm seeing about condensation :(

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom