Silica gel bags in headlights ?

Kithmo

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Having bit the bullet and gone for some LED headlight bulbs, I came to fit them and found a quite large silica gel bag in each headlight. I know they're used to soak up damp and thought what a good idea to prevent the headlights misting up inside. But what I'm wondering is, a) has anyone else found these in there headlights and b) did you or would you leave them there or take them out, bearing in mind the new bulbs have cooling fans in them ?

Having bit the bullet and gone for some LED headlight bulbs, I came to fit them and found a quite large silica gel bag in each headlight. I know they're used to soak up damp and thought what a good idea to prevent the headlights misting up inside. But what I'm wondering is, a) has anyone else found these in there headlights and b) did you or would you leave them there or take them out, bearing in mind the new bulbs have cooling fans in them ?
These are only for items being stored in boxes and not for including when fitting.

Oh okay if they were there already...strange I would be concerned that as paper they could catch fire with the heat..

Oh okay if they were there already...strange I would be concerned that as paper they could catch fire with the heat..
Maybe when they're new but as time goes on they will be slightly damp I would imagine.

I've taken mine out purely because the LED's get super hot and don't want them catching fire. Either way we shouldn't be worried about damp being built up as the covers for the headlight access have rubber gaskets on them to protect!

These are the lights I installed and I must say they look OEM quality and not the silly blueish white light you get on cheap aftermarkets!

I've taken mine out purely because the LED's get super hot and don't want them catching fire. Either way we shouldn't be worried about damp being built up as the covers for the headlight access have rubber gaskets on them to protect!

These are the lights I installed and I must say they look OEM quality and not the silly blueish white light you get on cheap aftermarkets!

Are they the 9005 model for the MG ZS EV?

I left mine in as I think there's little chance of them catching fire, if the led bulb gets hot enough at the back to catch fire, where the silica gel bags are, surely the plastic fan would melt.

@Mark Holmes here's a picture of the LED lights during daytime. Will send another this evening when it gets dark!

Attachments

• IMG20200924181303~2.jpg
    IMG20200924181303~2.jpg
    897.1 KB · Views: 214
To be honest not entirely sure if they are "legal" however in the past I've had no problems during MOT when using similar LED lights in previous cars.

I have already bought the led headligths and eZS being picked up until mid-October!

I saw this video as a guide to buy the LEDs:

Looks amazing! are they "Legal" spec? I couldn't see anything on the listing but I definitely want to go LED at some point
There are no "legal", meaning "E" marked, LED headlights available at the moment, but as long as the beam pattern is the same as standard bulbs and they're aligned ok then there should be no problem. Alternatively just put the standard bulbs back in for the MOT then change them back.
I saw a youtube (uk) video where the guy said the whole headlamp assembly would need to be changed to make a legal LED headlight and no aftermarket ones are available yet.
I noticed the dip beam operation of the ZS headlights is a mechanical masking of a single filament bulb, rather than two separate filaments. This is exactly the same as the operation of the LED headlights on my Prius, so I'm wondering if they could be made into a legal LED headlight easily ?

@rbpasapera, the video says the bulbs have a left and right side, the ones I bought don't and my original bulbs don't, so I don't know if he means left hand drive and right hand drive vehicles as both the bulbs (original and LED) are identical on mine.

@rbpasapera, the video says the bulbs have a left and right side, the ones I bought don't and my original bulbs don't, so I don't know if he means left hand drive and right hand drive vehicles as both the bulbs (original and LED) are identical on mine.

If the bulbs you bought don't have right/left side, each bulb would fit both sides.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom