Slow charge rate: Clarification from InstaVolt

D

Deleted member 2439

Hi all,

I thought that you might be interested in seeing this quite informative reply from InstaVolt, who I contacted yesterday regarding slow charging at two of their rapid chargers. The rates were 21 & 29kW, which were undertaken yesterday with a battery which was approx 25% full - however at an ambient temp of roughly 3 degrees C. Quite a useful reply I thought & I hope you find it useful. For context, the car had done a run of roughly 25 miles before the first charge, followed by a similar distance directly onto the second charge which was a bit faster. I’d add that both charges were fairly short, perhaps 15 mins or so.

thanks - Rob

==========================================================

I have been passed your details by my colleague in relation to charging speeds you have received at our stations.

The majority of our stations are rated to a max output of 50Kw which we regularly see, including on the MG. However the charging speed is, in the main, determined by the car and there can be lots of factors involved in this. During cold weather the charging rate will be reduced as a cold battery doesn’t charge as fast as a warm one, however excessive heat can also cause the charging speed to be reduced. So if the weather was cold when you arrived at the charger and the battery hadn’t been sufficiently warmed during a long journey the car will reduce the charging speed.

In essence the car controls the charge, not the charger unless there is an issue, and it does this to protect the battery. The recommendation for DC rapid charging is to arrive with approx. 20% and charge to approx. 80% and complete the additional 20% using a home charger. This is due to the car considerably slowing the DC charge after 80% and the last 20% will take an excessive amount of time.

A good way of thinking about rapid charging is filling a water bottle, the main part of the bottle can take a lot water very fast but when it narrows to the neck of the bottle, unless you turn the pressure down, the water will squirt out of the top. This is the same analogy as rapid charging, hence why the speed is reduced to protect the battery and not input too much energy towards the end of the charge.

The car does everything to protect the battery and this is why we see a fluctuation in charging speeds. We don’t often see full output if the battery and environmental conditions aren’t exactly right and unfortunately a lot of manufacturers don’t tell you this when purchasing an EV. I have a Nissan Leaf and the charging speed varies significantly depending on weather, temperature etc and also slows down if it has been rapid charged more than twice in the same day, so every vehicle has different quirks to how it charges

Another good reason why instavolt is number one DC charging company - they employ people who know their stuff.
And another good reason - contactless credit card as default (but they do have app and rfid if need be). If they add octopus electric juice rfid support, it would be perfect.

Interesting he says they regularly see MG charging at the maximum rate. I have never (yet) been able to achieve a higher charge rate than 36kWh on Polar even at an Ultra charger when I had got just beyond the first Low Battery warning after a 50+mile drive at 40-60mph and ambient temperature of 10+ degrees. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the MG ZS EV will under the right conditions charge initially at 70kWh+ if low enough dropping to 35kWh from about 50% to 80% then tailing off beyond. I was quite disappointed when I reached the 150kWh Ultra charger thinking the conditions were right for a maximum initial charge rate. Maybe I'll have to wait for the warmer months? Has anybody achieved the maximum rate?

That’s interesting, your rate of 36kW was achieved at a rate of 10 degrees, I wonder what others have noted.

I think I might plot a graph - initial charge rate against ambient temp? Sad ain’t I? 🤪

I’ve managed to get 70kWh when I ran the car down from 100% to 6% on Fastned chargers in September (outside temp 18C that day). To get the battery warm enough you need to have run down a lot of the battery (at decent speeds to have high demand from the battery) and have warmer ambient temperatures. There probably is something in plotting what the optimum discharge amount x outside temp x SoC to give an estimate of what kind of charge speed you’ll ramp up to.

On Monday I managed 36kWh at 18% state of charge on an Inoity charger (thankfully on free vend, but I only needed a splash and dash to get home, so was happy to pay the IONITY highwayman to get a decent speed). Having looked at a lot of user feedback from last winter I was expecting this discrepancy in colder months before I bought the car (my previous e-Golf would max out at 40kWh and would also cold-gate) and handily I’ve only had to rapid 5 times since getting the car in September.

The slow charging is why I'm trying to get the battery heater update. Dealer wanted nearly £200 for it though (2 hours work at their normal rate). I really want it done, and I don't mind paying. But I feel that's a bit steep!
I did a string of rapids a couple of weeks ago, first one of the day always slow and next ones are quick - it's all got to be down to the battery being too cold as I usually arrive with 10% ish.

Damn. I used an Instavolt charger for the first time last Sunday (20th) at Huntly (A96).

I didn't take note up of the actual charging speed, but my impression was that it was pretty fast and as @Fishettibean says, easy to use with contactless credit card.
Even the slower of the two (21kW) is three times faster than my 7kW home fast charger 👍

The slow charging is why I'm trying to get the battery heater update. Dealer wanted nearly £200 for it though (2 hours work at their normal rate). I really want it done, and I don't mind paying. But I feel that's a bit steep!
I did a string of rapids a couple of weeks ago, first one of the day always slow and next ones are quick - it's all got to be down to the battery being too cold as I usually arrive with 10% ish.
Dont get update I am about to post something on this.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom