Slow drive

nutsucow

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Why does it take ages to engage drive or reverse when you first sit in? Or is there a fault with my particular MG4?

Thanks

Do you mean it's taking a long time after you've let the driver's screen and the infotainment screen finish booting up before pressing the brake pedal and engaging D?

Well yes kind of, i’m just not used to it taking ages to engage drive or reverse compared to my Tesla.

Is this the general norm?

The D or R selection on mine is instant every time, although I do wait for everything else to boot up before I press the brake pedal.
Ditto. I find that once I've sat in the seat, made myself comfortable, and put on my seat belt, the screens have booted up. I then put my phone on the shelf (magnetic connection to the USB cable), press brake and select D/R as needed ... no delays observed. :)

(Very occasionally one of the screens will do a yawn and a stretch before coming alive, but not often).

You can always put the car in drive and move off immediately no matter what the central screen is or isn't doing. The problem is that you can't switch off LKA if the screen hasn't booted.

You can always put the car in drive and move off immediately no matter what the central screen is or isn't doing. The problem is that you can't switch off LKA if the screen hasn't booted.
That's one of the reasons it needs to be programmed to remember all your settings.

I think it is pretty fast. I unlock the car (button on door handle) then I sit down WITHOUT touching the brake pedal.
Then I close the door, and after the door is closed I press the brake pedal to put the car in READY.

The crucial part is only touch the brake pedal after the door is closed. If you push it down with the (drivers) door open it enters ACC mode (or something similar) first.

You can drive off almost instantly, but changing setting on the infotainment may take some time no matter what you do.

That's one of the reasons it needs to be programmed to remember all your settings.
But even if that were in place, user settings wouldn't be effective until the screen boots anyway. ;)

(And NCAP rules would mean that a Default user would have to apply on start up, and then selectable users would be available).

I've just had another example of getting in the car, touching nothing, and autohold fault immediately being flagged up. I don't know what triggers this, I get it very seldom, but it ain't pressing the brake before the screen has booted up.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back