Slow gearbox shifting

Joehabib

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I have a brand new MG hs phev and I noticed that the gearbox is very slow. They claim that it should make 0-100km/h in 7 seconds but it’s more like the 9.5 seconds because of that slow shifting and hanging.. does anyone else have the same problem? How does they say it’s 6.9 seconds from 0-100km/h when it’s not close to that ??

I’ve got an Automatic petrol HS and there are times when I have put it in drive or reverse and it doesn’t engage for a few seconds! I’m just sat there like a dummy 🤨🧐

I have a brand new MG hs phev and I noticed that the gearbox is very slow. They claim that it should make 0-100km/h in 7 seconds but it’s more like the 9.5 seconds because of that slow shifting and hanging.. does anyone else have the same problem? How does they say it’s 6.9 seconds from 0-100km/h when it’s not close to that ??
You will see previous threads regarding this. At around 50mph in EV mode there is a flat spot in the gear change for about 1 - 1.5 seconds. Maybe because EV mode only has a some of the gears to choose from. In self charging mode it should not happen.

You will see previous threads regarding this. At around 50mph in EV mode there is a flat spot in the gear change for about 1 - 1.5 seconds. Maybe because EV mode only has a some of the gears to choose from. In self charging mode it should not happen.
it happens even when the ev mode is off. the gearbox shifting is terribly slow which make it impossible to reach 100km/h in 6.9 sec

The great shifting is indeed terrible. At around 44mph there is a gear shift that takes forever
I drove a SW upgraded version a few weeks ago, and it seemed to have better integration of the 2 power sources, however it wasn't gone but it was less intrusive. Also the ICE seemed more relaxed and controlled when it kicked in.

I owned a VW PHEV for four years, before going full electric with the ZS EV in 2020.
The DSG gearbox in the VW is very slick and almost seamless in it's operation.
However, there are times when you can fool the gearbox, like while it shuffles around trying to match the RPM of the engine to the transmission.
This can be witnessed when you suddenly require full power to overtake a slow moving vehicle like a tractor for example.
You approach in low gear, then you urgently require full power.
The electric power side is instant ( as long as you have enough EV power remaining ).
Then the ICE suddenly bursts into life and the engine RPM's rise very quickly.
As this happens, the DSG is now scrambling around looking for the correct gear to select.
In this very short time, their appears to be a lot of noise, but not a lot of power getting laid down.
Then, it finally sorts out its act and you are propelled down the road.
Not a big deal, but this complicated system is not as slick and the power on demand of a full EV.
This is not a criticism of the way it works, its just a fact.
Aligning all this tech to work in complete 100% harmony, is extremely difficult.
Split second delays are sometimes witnessed and can be felt as well.
A brilliant piece of work combining ICE and electric motor power in the same package.
But as slick as it is, you CAN feel the connection / disconnection sometimes.
Pure EV's don't have this problem of course.

I got my phev last week and also noticed this Joehabib. Acceleration is quick to a point but then the gear shift lag is painful somewhere around the 45-50mph mark (reminiscent of the long gear throw 'pause' felt when traveling on an old manual school bus!). I hadn't done a 0-60 trial when initially test driving as I was in an urban area. However I had seen so many good reviews online by critics testing this acceleration that didn't mention this? I didn't buy this car to drag race it but this lag is a bit disappointing. Otherwise I find it flawless to drive in EV mode and quite responsive overall.

I have seen a reference to different driving modes available in some of the cars released on the Asian market i.e. a Super Sports mode you can select which I'm guessing might help with pedal response and gear ratios.
See YouTube clip below. I don't think this exists in the UK? Anyone else know if this is something we can get as an upgrade?

There is another great shift that is wrong at times - when downshifting. I’ve noticed a few times when decelerating using regen from 40-50s that around 24 mph Mark there is no regen and car seems to be freewheeling.
I have a feeling it’s the same gear taking time to shift down

Last edited:
I’ve noticed considerable drop off on acceleration when battery is low, but meets factory spec all other times. As you might expect I guess if electric boost is suppressed.
And regards the gear slow shift I’ve only noticed when running on battery and engine kicking in at that 45 ish mph. Could this be a confusion on 4 speed motor box and 6 speed engine box gear optimisation? There must be times when the ratios clash just like a bicycle when front cog choice and rear sprocket have near identical travel ratios

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the EHS myself,.. and i have noticed this too,.. but what i find weird is,.. when u watch the video.... that small white line in the power meter,.. whenever it gets close to the blue power indicator line, power gets lost and the white line moves up to 100 % ,..

so i was thinking,..

maybe this is the car enabling more power from the battery,.. OR increasing the voltage to the battery,.. and this is what causes the lag.

Everywhere it has been said the car has 6 gears in ICE and 4 in electric,.. maybe these "lags" are the "gears" but like i said,.. i think its just the software of the car enabling more power from the battery.

can someone followup on this ?

I have the EHS myself,.. and i have noticed this too,.. but what i find weird is,.. when u watch the video.... that small white line in the power meter,.. whenever it gets close to the blue power indicator line, power gets lost and the white line moves up to 100 % ,..

so i was thinking,..

maybe this is the car enabling more power from the battery,.. OR increasing the voltage to the battery,.. and this is what causes the lag.

Everywhere it has been said the car has 6 gears in ICE and 4 in electric,.. maybe these "lags" are the "gears" but like i said,.. i think its just the software of the car enabling more power from the battery.

can someone followup on this ?
The white line you mentioned on the power gauge is related to the gears in EV mode. The white line only appears when it is close to a gear change. First it will appears at around 80% which I think is the maximum power it gives in that gear, then at around 45-50mph when the lag comes in is the gear change and the white line moves to 100% giving you a maximum 100% power in that gear.

This is in EV mode only.. the power is only being sourced from battery so this is nothing but time taking to shift between gears.

I’m glad this thread has been added to because I’ve yet to hear any admission to what is a recognised flaw by just about every driver. Is there any admitted official recognition from anyone in the channel about this please?

This was back in July last year and nothing has happened since

Attachments

• 07C9F320-3530-4AFB-8EDB-4A725743CEDF.png
    07C9F320-3530-4AFB-8EDB-4A725743CEDF.png
    935.7 KB · Views: 207
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom