Smart features and sensors

CanyonReveller

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I'm in the market for an MG5. I've noticed a lot of people don't seem to know whether their car includes various 'smart' features, such as MG pilot.

Some 2021 models only have a small elongated sensor immediately below the rear licence plate. Some 2022 models have that sensor and a visible, almost square sensor below the front number plate. The 2023 models seem to have both.

What smart functions do you get from each of the sensors?

I'm in the market for an MG5. I've noticed a lot of people don't seem to know whether their car includes various 'smart' features, such as MG pilot.

Some 2021 models only have a small elongated sensor immediately below the rear licence plate. Some 2022 models have that sensor and a visible, almost square sensor below the front number plate. The 2023 models seem to have both.

2022 long range models have smart functions and have a radar sensor in the front lower grille, earlier short range MG5 have no such features. The 'sensor' you refer to on the tailgate is simply a number plate mounting plate for Chinese market cars, nothing more. It can be removed and an oversize uk number plate fitted to cover the screw holes.

I think you'll find the "elongated piece" below the rear reg plate is not a sensor, but a piece of black plastic that covers up two screw holes. The Chinese plate has different fixing holes to the UK, so the dealers get supplied with the black cover up strip.
I have a 21 plate SR Excite, which does not include MG pilot. I don't think any 21 plate will include it. I may be wrong, but I think it may be 22 plate models onwards that had MG pilot fitted. I'm sure others will confirm or deny.
However, whichever model of MG5 you end up with, I'm sure you will be delighted with it, as I am. It's a really solid car, never had any faults in nearly 3 years. Absolutely amazing car.

Ah, that makes more sense. The rear strip being replaceable with a standard UK plate explains why some cars don't have them too! Much appreciated.

Do you think MG Pilot is worth spending the extra on?
Has anyone seen an MG5 with particularly high milage? Most I've seen so far is about 80k.

The front facing camera on my Exclusive Long Range can't read the 20mph overlays on speed limit signs in Wales. It is blind to the repeaters and either ignores the larger "gateway" signs, or reads them as 60mph, presumably because it can also see the 30 underneath.

By far the most useful "smart" features would be settings that stay set when the car is switched off (not really "smart" but hey-ho) and maybe a reminder that you've left the charging port door open. Especially when you've rushed to disconnect in the pouring rain. Unfortunately neither are provided.

But the "smart" tech does give you repeated bonging noises reminding you that when you open a door, you've opened a door.

Ah, that makes more sense. The rear strip being replaceable with a standard UK plate explains why some cars don't have them too! Much appreciated.

Do you think MG Pilot is worth spending the extra on?
Has anyone seen an MG5 with particularly high milage? Most I've seen so far is about 80k.
MG pilot is whole suite of smart features and you will get them on all but the earlier SR MG5s.

How high a mileage are you looking for, they've only been in this country a few years?

@PDC what sized number plate is the oversized one you refer to please, do they do one for the front and where can I buy them please.Is it just a case of doing an internet search TIA

Have a look at this thread:

MG pilot is whole suite of smart features and you will get them on all but the earlier SR MG5s.

How high a mileage are you looking for, they've only been in this country a few years?

I'm more curious as to what an MG is capable of. Tesla's seem to do 333k miles on one battery and even more on a motor. I wonder if it will change the general fear around 100k miles cars.

I'm more curious as to what an MG is capable of. Tesla's seem to do 333k miles on one battery and even more on a motor. I wonder if it will change the general fear around 100k miles cars.
No reason to think the MGs won't do similar.
The Mk1 pre-facelift 5 has been used as a taxi in Shanghai for many many years, known by it's Chinese name the Roewe Ei5.

They even developed a battery swapping version in 2021 which of course never reached here.

A quick back of a fag packet calculation suggests an LR battery is good for over a million miles, at 6000 cycles, 4m/kWh and with 30% degradation. How many ICE engines make it that far, without a major rebuild?

A quick back of a fag packet calculation suggests an LR battery is good for over a million miles, at 6000 cycles, 4m/kWh and with 30% degradation. How many ICE engines make it that far, without a major rebuild?
I agree with the sentiment but the ICE equivalent of a traction battery would be it’s fuel tank…

I agree with the sentiment but the ICE equivalent of a traction battery would be it’s fuel tank…
Good point. Although I did see a clip of a 100+ year old EV, on Fully Charged, the other day that was running on its original motor, although had modern golf-buggy lead-acid batteries.

I'm sure if there had been any significant EV motor failures (a single one?) it would have been all over the front pages of the gutter press.

Good point. Although I did see a clip of a 100+ year old EV, on Fully Charged, the other day that was running on its original motor, although had modern golf-buggy lead-acid batteries.

I'm sure if there had been any significant EV motor failures (a single one?) it would have been all over the front pages of the gutter press.
There have been some battery/motor swaps needed on some of the early telsa model S cars I believe, but its due to a design/production defect.

I think the battery one was due to water ingress issues, not sure what the problem with the motors was.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom