Smart meter. What to expect

D

Deleted member 2439

Hi have Octopus booked in on the 18th to install my smart meters. I have a slot between 1 and 5 pm, but am hoping that they will be quick as I don’t really want the power off for long and it will be dark well before 5. It should be an easy instal, both meters are in external boxes easily accessible and within about four feet of each other.

How do they chose which mobile network to use? We have a fair signal on a couple of networks, and poor on a couple.

What I’d like to know is what can I do with it, aside from the display which will be provided?

Will I be able to go on line somewhere and look at my readings? I’m assuming that at least I’ll be able to look at the meter(s) themselves and see readings - hopefully of usage and any export for the electric and usage for the gas.

I probably won’t even use the provided display as have seen these in other peoples installations and been somewhat underwhelmed by them. My Dad used to look at his many times a day, but it’s not been used for a couple of years now & is stuffed in a cupboard- similar to many other people I suspect.

In anticipation- Rob

Rob,

They will do the elec meter first, if it is just a straight swap should be no more that 30 minutes, same for the gas meter.

Have a search for geo home app in your app store. When all done, connect the in home display to your wifi and then connect the ihd to the app. Will give you daily readings of your usage.

Do worry about what network the meter connects to, it is a 'special one' for meters. Before they leave make sure you havd got 4 green flashing lights on the meter, about every 5 seconds. 5 if it is connected to the meter WAN. Also, the ihd is showing readings
Screenshot_20210109-115213.jpg

Rob,

They will do the elec meter first, if it is just a straight swap should be no more that 30 minutes, same for the gas meter.

Have a search for geo home app in your app store. When all done, connect the in home display to your wifi and then connect the ihd to the app. Will give you daily readings of your usage.

Do worry about what network the meter connects to, it is a 'special one' for meters. Before they leave make sure you havd got 4 green flashing lights on the meter, about every 5 seconds. 5 if it is connected to the meter WAN. Also, the ihd is showing readingsView attachment 1055
Thanks for this info. Very useful. My Octopus supplied in home display is a Chameleon IHD6 will this app work with this model?

Hi have Octopus booked in on the 18th to install my smart meters. I have a slot between 1 and 5 pm, but am hoping that they will be quick as I don’t really want the power off for long and it will be dark well before 5. It should be an easy instal, both meters are in external boxes easily accessible and within about four feet of each other.

How do they chose which mobile network to use? We have a fair signal on a couple of networks, and poor on a couple.

What I’d like to know is what can I do with it, aside from the display which will be provided?

Will I be able to go on line somewhere and look at my readings? I’m assuming that at least I’ll be able to look at the meter(s) themselves and see readings - hopefully of usage and any export for the electric and usage for the gas.

I probably won’t even use the provided display as have seen these in other peoples installations and been somewhat underwhelmed by them. My Dad used to look at his many times a day, but it’s not been used for a couple of years now & is stuffed in a cupboard- similar to many other people I suspect.

In anticipation- Rob
My install took about 90mins. Electric was off for 20mins. Gas the same. It can take 2 weeks following install to start working on your chosen tariff though.

That’s very interesting- thanks.

Im somewhat intrigued by the “special” network they use. Pray tell me more. I’m assuming that it’s a GSM/3G/4G mobile phone network and that the meter has a SIM card fitted. So, that SIM will have to be attached to one of the mobile networks - unless it’s a “roaming“ SIM provided by an overseas operation or the likes of Jersey/Manx telecom that will work on any of the national networks.

Cheers - Rob

Thanks for this info. Very useful. My Octopus supplied in home display is a Chameleon IHD6 will this app work with this model?
Try Googling it, they may have a different app

Found this

Last edited:

Im somewhat intrigued by the “special” network they use. Pray tell me more. I’m assuming that it’s a GSM/3G/4G mobile phone network and that the meter has a SIM card fitted. So, that SIM will have to be attached to one of the mobile networks - unless it’s a “roaming“ SIM provided by an overseas operation or the likes of Jersey/Manx telecom that will work on any of the national networks.

Cheers - Rob
Google it, that's what i did

Last edited:
I've been with Octopus Energy for almost 3 year no complaints, my original tariff was Go which gave my 5p KWH between 12.30 and 4.30, but when it came up for renewing after a year there were so many more different Go tariffs, I went for 1.30 to 6.30 at 5.5p KWH.

Have a look at there Go tariffs, had to phone up as you cant seem to get the different Go tariffs through the web site.

Cheers - Rob
Rob, there's a lot of information here on networks if your interested. UK Electricity and Gas Smart Metering

I've been with Octopus Energy for almost 3 year no complaints, my original tariff was Go which gave my 5p KWH between 12.30 and 4.30, but when it came up for renewing after a year there were so many more different Go tariffs, I went for 1.30 to 6.30 at 5.5p KWH.

Have a look at there Go tariffs, had to phone up as you cant seem to get the different Go tariffs through the web site.
How do you smart charge the MG to take advantage of the timed low cost tariff?

Oh ok. I’m not familiar with that charger. I have a podpoint and can’t currently smart charge the MG

I use Ohme charger which is available with a discount from Octopus Energy, this plugs into my type 2 wall charger which is not smart charging unit, it's available in 3 socket types and type plug types ( see Ohme website)
Its controled via an app ,you tell it which car you have, whats your energy supplier and what tariff, it then pulls all the charging tarriff information and then allows you to set when you want to start charging.

I’d like to get an Ohme cable but I have a tethered wall box and as far as I can tell will need some changes to accommodate the Ohme cable.

You could just get the ohme charger remove your old charger and wire it straight in the ohme, very straight forward if your happy with electrics and feel up to it, if you can wire a plug then you should be able to do this.

Mmmm. I wouldn’t feel comfortable Andrew. I might keep the existing box and have a new outlet installed though.

Radiation can be a problem with smart meters - especially if you are in a low signal or no signal area - the equipment cranks up the power of the signal while looking for a receiving tower.
Remembering that even background radiation levels (even before nuclear proliferation) would kill a certain percentage of certain areas' population, it may be wise to limit the radiation we are bathed in every day.

Radiation can be a problem with smart meters - especially if you are in a low signal or no signal area - the equipment cranks up the power of the signal while looking for a receiving tower.
Remembering that even background radiation levels (even before nuclear proliferation) would kill a certain percentage of certain areas' population, it may be wise to limit the radiation we are bathed in every day.
Do you have any more supporting information please?

LOL , I better not use a mobile phone or wifi then.

You don't by any chance wear a tin foil hat do you ? :LOL:

Think About It Reaction GIF by Big Potato Games

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom