Smart Plug

Sketchjoe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all first big thank you for accepting me on this site.
I took delivery of fantastic MG ZS EV Wednesday over the moon to be a member of the blue team.
it will be a couple of months before I can get a home charger installed due to having to upgrade my electric consumer board.
My question is would I be able to use a smart plug to schedule my charging time for during the night to take advantage of getting the really cheap tariff. 🤔🤔🤔🤔 thanks in advance
Joe

I took delivery of fantastic MG ZS EV Wednesday over the moon to be a member of the blue team.
it will be a couple of months before I can get a home charger installed due to having to upgrade my electric consumer board.
My question is would I be able to use a smart plug to schedule my charging time for during the night to take advantage of getting the really cheap tariff. 🤔🤔🤔🤔 thanks in advance
Joe

Hi Joe - warmest welcome and I'm sure you'll enjoy your new car.

A home charger is connected direct to your main circuit box as it outputs 7Kw of power so there's no 'connection' for your smart plug I'm afraid.

There's a few chargers that are available that offer scheduled charging - the latest being Pod Point, so if you want to take advantage of cheap rates, I'd go for one of these ones.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi Joe - warmest welcome and I'm sure you'll enjoy your new car.

A home charger is connected direct to your main circuit box as it outputs 7Kw of power so there's no 'connection' for your smart plug I'm afraid.

There's a few chargers that are available that offer scheduled charging - the latest being Pod Point, so if you want to take advantage of cheap rates, I'd go for one of these ones.

Cheers

Bloggsy
Thanks for that.

Joe
Hi there.

I personally would not use a Smart Plug (such as Alexa voice enabled) to attach a Granny lead for Economy 7 or Economy 10 timed charging — Prolonged charging via the Smart Plug may melt.

I have this below, ready for my new MG ZS EV delivery, until I can get my Home Charger installed...

Extension Lead with Heavy Duty Time Switch.

Last edited:
Joe
It surprises me that not a lot of mention is made regarding the apps that tell you where the public charging points are located , such as Zap Map for one
Also you may even already have a free charger , yes free , in your back yard
A lot of Aldis now have the Pod Points that are free vend
Welcome fellow Yorkshiemanto the Forum , very helpful and informative

It surprises me that not a lot of mention is made regarding the apps that tell you where the public charging points are located , such as Zap Map for one
Also you may even already have a free charger , yes free , in your back yard
A lot of Aldis now have the Pod Points that are free vend
Welcome fellow Yorkshiemanto the Forum , very helpful and informative
Thanks for that Baz. I have a number of apps for public charging points which are great. EDF supply my electric. They have a tariff for ev owners where you can charge between 12am and 5am @4.5pence. This would cover all my charging needs If I can plug in with a timer. Being a true Yorkshire man any time I am out and about and there is a free charger available I will be on it like a flash. 🤣🥳🤣🥳

Hi there.

I personally would not use a Smart Plug (such as Alexa voice enabled) to attach a Granny lead for Economy 7 or Economy 10 timed charging — Prolonged charging via the Smart Plug may melt.

I have this below, ready for my new MG ZS EV delivery, until I can get my Home Charger installed...

Extension Lead with Heavy Duty Time Switch.

Thanks for that. Do you know anyone that uses this with there MG. As I am being supplied a BP Pulse home charger through motobility (not that I am being ungratefu). The amount of horrendous reviews out there this set up using granny charger would fully cover my charging needs. Thanks again

Thanks for that Baz. I have a number of apps for public charging points which are great. EDF supply my electric. They have a tariff for ev owners where you can charge between 12am and 5am @4.5pence. This would cover all my charging needs If I can plug in with a timer. Being a true Yorkshire man any time I am out and about and there is a free charger available I will be on it like a flash. 🤣🥳🤣🥳
Joe
I am with SSE , I get it totally free between 12 midnight and 8am , that's a proper Yorkshireman lol

Joe
I am with SSE , I get it totally free between 12 midnight and 8am , that's a proper Yorkshireman lol
Hi buzzer I see from you posting you your with SSE and you get 12-8am free! On which of there tariffs are you on please say so I can take a look sounds good to me. Thank you
Les

Hi buzzer I see from you posting you your with SSE and you get 12-8am free! On which of there tariffs are you on please say so I can take a look sounds good to me. Thank you
Les
Hi Les,
you may also find this useful when looking at the best tariff (you may have seen this already)

Hi Les,
you may also find this useful when looking at the best tariff (you may have seen this already)
Hi Les
Was going to comment on your roof bars stuff , but wanted them for my MG EV not the radiator , joke
Had a problem with SSE due to covid but got there eventually ,it's their Fix and Drive tariff , it wasn't on their tariff list but as I say got their in the end

Hi Les
Was going to comment on your roof bars stuff , but wanted them for my MG EV not the radiator , joke
Had a problem with SSE due to covid but got there eventually ,it's their Fix and Drive tariff , it wasn't on their tariff list but as I say got their in the end
Thanks buzzer for the info not sure which car you have be it 5 or ZS but remember the 5 is only 35kg on the roof so that radiator might be a bit to heavy I think LOL, but would be fine on the ZS that takes 75kg again thanks for info on tariff
Les

Thanks for that. Do you know anyone that uses this with there MG. As I am being supplied a BP Pulse home charger through Motability (not that I am being ungrateful). The amount of horrendous reviews out there this set up using granny charger would fully cover my charging needs. Thanks again.
Hi there,

The Extension Lead with Heavy Duty Time Switch in my above post was recommended to me by my mate who drives a Hyundai Kona EV — After seeing it working, he pinpointed me to the Tough Leads Website.
The one he uses is the 15m length. Exactly what I ordered, waiting to be used as soon as my
MG ZS EV arrives, hopefully, end of July — Subject to delivery.
It comes with the following Specifications:
  • Digital programmable time switch.
  • Up to 16 on/off periods can be set for each day.
  • Easy to program using clearly marked buttons.
  • Battery back-up to retain settings when power is disconnected.
  • Contractor rating 230v AC-7a (resistive) 20A, AC-7b (conductive) 6.4A. Can be supplied with a 40A (AC-7a)/15A (AC-7b) contactor if required for larger inductive loads - please contact us for details.
  • Weatherproof IP66 rated exceptional quality socket.
  • Gewiss robust IP55 weatherproof DIN enclosure (5 = protected against water jets from any direction). Dimensions W105mm x H170mm x D98mm).
  • 1.5mmsq industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperate range (-25 to 55°C).
  • Find out what’s so special about this cable.
  • PAT tested.
He, and I, also preferred the 1.5mmsq industrial specification H07RN-F Rubber Cable.

Motability lease are fitting the BP Pulse Home Charger for you and your EV, as they are myself.
They will be there for the many years to come of home charging our Electric Vehicles — Therefore, we can decide from the Two set-ups, which one we wish to use !
Also, the Extension Lead with Heavy Duty Time Switch will always be in the EV boot to charge when visiting our Family and Friends, down here in Cornwall and Devon.

Last edited:
Les its the zs ev exclusive , will now be scanning Aldi everytime I am in there now, but reckon £20 or close is a pipedream

Les its the zs ev exclusive , will now be scanning Aldi everytime I am in there now, but reckon £20 or close is a pipedream
Hi maybe I think I got them around September 2019 was doing some fencing so use them to collect fence panels couple at a time on my Skoda Superb so I would say maybe £25 now but still a good buy I think lidi all so do them some times you know these offers come and go yeh as you said just need to keep your eyes open if I see any I will drop you a note
Les

Hi maybe I think I got them around September 2019 was doing some fencing so use them to collect fence panels couple at a time on my Skoda Superb so I would say maybe £25 now but still a good buy I think lidi all so do them some times you know these offers come and go yeh as you said just need to keep your eyes open if I see any I will drop you a note
Les
Thanks Les greatly appreciated

Hi there,

The Extension Lead with Heavy Duty Time Switch in my above post was recommended to me by my mate who drives a Hyundai Kona EV — After seeing it working, he pinpointed me to the Tough Leads Website.

The one he uses is the 15m length and has the RCD included within the enclosure — Exactly what I ordered, waiting to be used as soon as my MG ZS EV arrives, hopefully, end of July — Subject to delivery.

It comes with the following Specifications:
  • Digital programmable time switch.​
  • Up to 16 on / off periods can be set for each day.
  • Easy to program using clearly marked buttons.
  • Battery back-up to retain settings when power is disconnected.
  • Available with an optional RCD included within the enclosure.
  • Contractor rating 230v AC-7a (resistive) 20A, AC-7b (conductive) 6.4A.
  • Weatherproof IP66 rated exceptional quality socket.
  • Gewiss robust IP55 weatherproof DIN enclosure (5 = protected against water jets from any direction). Dimensions W105mm x H170mm x D98mm).
  • 1.5mmsq industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperate range (-25 to 55°C).
  • PAT tested.
He — and I — also preferred the 1.5mmsq industrial specification H07RN-F Rubber Cable.
You can find out what’s so special about this cable in the link.

Motability lease are fitting the BP Pulse Home Charger for you and your EV, as they are myself — To which, they will be there for the many years to come of home charging our Electric Vehicles — Therefore, we can decide from the Two set-ups, which one we wish to use !

Also, the Extension Lead with Heavy Duty Time Switch will always be in the EV boot — To charge when visiting our Family and Friends, down here in Cornwall and Devon.
Thanks for that spoke to the owner through online chat. He was very helpful so much so I have ordered one. Thanks again for your advice
Joe

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom