Smell of burning and warm type 2 plug handle

Tom McConnell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi there

1) I have noticed that every few weeks I get a waft of burning smell through the dash air vents after about 1/4 or 1/2 mile from setting off from cold first thing in the morning and then the small goes away. Anymone found this ?

2) I have also noticed today that after charging using the 7kw home charger that the Type 2 plug handle plugged into the car is warm to the touch, the socket area behind then plug is also warm and opening the bonnet the plastic area around the bonnet catch is also warm. I checked this out as I smelt slight burning smell as I walked across the front of the car when checking if it had finished charging. Anyone found the warm plastic parts and smell of burning from the front ?

Thanks!

Tom

A little bit if warmth might be expected but if you are smelling burning it will worth be checking with the dealer.

Smell of burning and warm type 2 plug handle

H'mmm. I knew a girl like that once.
ooh matron.jpg

Hmm.. I thought I'd noticed the "brown smell" (hot insulation) a couple of times when driving off first thing, but convinced myself it was something outside... Might keep an eye (nose?) on this...

..Never noticed the charging plug handle being warm, tho'....

Hi there

1) I have noticed that every few weeks I get a waft of burning smell through the dash air vents after about 1/4 or 1/2 mile from setting off from cold first thing in the morning and then the small goes away. Anymone found this ?

2) I have also noticed today that after charging using the 7kw home charger that the Type 2 plug handle plugged into the car is warm to the touch, the socket area behind then plug is also warm and opening the bonnet the plastic area around the bonnet catch is also warm. I checked this out as I smelt slight burning smell as I walked across the front of the car when checking if it had finished charging. Anyone found the warm plastic parts and smell of burning from the front ?

Thanks!

Tom
Some heat on the charging gun is to be expected whilst charging. Not if it has finished charging a while ago though. Smell of burning is never normal.
I did get a burning smell in my seat when I turned the hearing on. A combination of leaves and other detritus had made its way into the system causing this. But then it was 12 years old so had 12 years of stuff ingressing. Should not happen to a new/newish car though. Worth asking a dealer to look into that as well when you ask them about the other burning smell.

Couple of things, firstly if the car heating kicks in when you start the car and the heating hasn't been used for a time you will get the smell that is reminiscent of using an electric heater that's been stood a while. This is because the heating is just that an element that heats up and so the dust burns off. Then on the warm type 2 plug, that is not unusual just after it finishes or during a long charge but not a burning smell

Modern electrics in houses are sensitive to faults and for many defects will trip, which yours hasn't. Have a good look at the connectors in the plug and socket. There should not be any sign of heating or (in the worst) case arcing. Assuming your home charging cable itself isn't damaged (is it a tethered one?) it is unlikely (but not impossible) that any of the car's permanent wiring or the inverter is at fault. What happens if you use the granny charger at home or the Type 2 cable supplied with the car on an untethered charger??

Hi ALANB and Deep Purple,

The circuit feeding the EV etc. is 100% fine.

The smell has only started very recently, occasionally occurring when setting off with or without charge, symptom :light electrical, plasticky burning smell clears up after a couple of minutes.

I’ve done just under 40,000 miles in the MG5 over 18 months, this behaviour is new to me. Serviced at an MG garage at 15k and 30k.

I will test the heater hypothesis and see if there’s a correlation and report back as the temperature has dropped recently after the AC has been king for a while.

If I use the heater I get the smell for a few minutes but otherwise not. Havent used the heater for about 4 months so probably when I do turn it on it will be bad until it has burnt all the crud off the elements.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom