SMETS 1 and SMETS 2 installs for EV tariffs.

sbon

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
What to do My problem is that I originally was with British Gas with a smart meter a long time ago and moved to EON and lost smart functionality (smet1 meter), it seems when I speak to the likes of Octopus they say my meter will get an upgrade and won't install a SMET 2 which means i run the risk of staying on a fixed tariff and no options for EV specific tariff. Scottish Power (pop up stand in Morrison's) advised they would replace my existing smart meter.

Any one had had luck with EDF, Octopus and any other ev tariff provider with getting a smet2 meter when you have smet1 already.

Car ordered this week, and it will be arriving after the April price cap increase so I am looking around.

[ Edited moderator: Added last sentence. Looks like this was reposted; other post deleted as near-duplicate. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - this is a mess. I also have a Smet1 installed by OVO and my current (sorry) contract ends in April. I'm on EV everywhere which is no longer available and they have OVO Drive as a replacement - but according to their web site needs a compatible charging unit (which mine is not). On calling them, yes my smart meter may go dumb if I leave for another supplier, cannot be swapped for a SMET2 as it still communicates and will get an over the air upgrade - but when? I called them and was told I was ok for Drive but the operator knew nothing about compatible chargers, and when I called their website tells us that they are now working on the Drive offering. It's still like this. I have about 6 weeks to decide what to do....

@sbon Ring Octopus and speak to them on the phone. I'm sure I read on their website somewhere if you sign up for Octopus Go and your meter is not compatible they'll swap it out but I may be wrong...

Mine was an Eon Secure branded that octopus support. As OPs doesn't work on Eon, I would hazard it won't work on octopus. As it would be running as a dumb meter I'm sure Octopus would prioritise it being upgraded to a smets2. Smart data helps them too.

I am with Octopus and waiting for a smets2 install. I just get a standard email every couple of weeks saying: "Hi Nick, There are still no dates however you are on the list. As you have an EV I will keep a close eye on your account and get something booked for you as soon as I can. Kind regards, Sophie"

My understanding is that they install in one locality at a time and also had problems initialising the meters.....
I'm not holding my breath.

My meter is a Landis+gyr e470. When i log into my eon next account, it sometimes shows smart meter reading however i don't know if that is being sent every half hour. Last email from octopus states my meter type is going through an update therefore they won't install smet2 and for me to go on a standard tariff.

I assume that means there's a path for them to upgrade that smets1 unit to make it compliant with smets 2.

When my supplier went bust, I was moved to EDF. They said my B. Gas. Landis & Gyr "dumb" Smart Meters would be updated to work, and they were working within about a month! I don't know whether they are good enough for Octopus though, but they are sending readings every 30 minutes.

What to do My problem is that I originally was with British Gas with a smart meter a long time ago and moved to EON and lost smart functionality (smet1 meter), it seems when I speak to the likes of Octopus they say my meter will get an upgrade and won't install a SMET 2 which means i run the risk of staying on a fixed tariff and no options for EV specific tariff. Scottish Power (pop up stand in Morrison's) advised they would replace my existing smart meter.

Any one had had luck with EDF, Octopus and any other ev tariff provider with getting a smet2 meter when you have smet1 already.

Car ordered this week, and it will be arriving after the April price cap increase so I am looking around.

[ Edited moderator: Added last sentence. Looks like this was reposted; other post deleted as near-duplicate. ]
I had a smet1 previously installed by Scottish Power a few years back which Octopus, my subsequent and present provider eventually managed to connect to.
However, they have recently installed an smet2 for which they will credit me £25! Not bad, considering they are free. I made an online appointment which was adhered to, and the whole process went extremely smoothly. I can't fault Octopus in any way, from my initial enquiry to it's completion on the day, which was about 2 hours. I was fully informed every step of the way, the electrician even phoning me on the day to let me know when he would be arriving,10 minutes before he actually arrived ON TIME! A great many other firms could take note of how things should be done!

My meter is a Landis+gyr e470. When i log into my eon next account, it sometimes shows smart meter reading however i don't know if that is being sent every half hour. Last email from octopus states my meter type is going through an update therefore they won't install smet2 and for me to go on a standard tariff.
That's the same unit I have fitted and it is a SMETS2 meter.

Mine might be a smet one as they share model numbers. There is a good article on ovo forum about this. Anyway thanks for the responses I rang octopus and it looks like they could put a smet 2 but I can't go on the ev tariff until I actually have the ev and the quote today was 70% more than my current viarable

Mine might be a smet one as they share model numbers. There is a good article on ovo forum about this. Anyway thanks for the responses I rang octopus and it looks like they could put a smet 2 but I can't go on the ev tariff until I actually have the ev and the quote today was 70% more than my current viarable
Good news, don't forget your variable goes up next month so probably best to lock in now!

As a matter of interest, my neighbour is on Octopus Go and has a SMETS1 "Secure Liberty" meter. These work with Octopus so the half hourly readings go through without a problem.
She has just received an unsolicited offer from Octopus to have a SMETS2 meter fitted!

As a matter of interest, my neighbour is on Octopus Go and has a SMETS1 "Secure Liberty" meter. These work with Octopus so the half hourly readings go through without a problem.
She has just received an unsolicited offer from Octopus to have a SMETS2 meter fitted!
Did they offer her £25??

Not mentioned but it did give the "installers are in your area now" message so I doubt there would be a delay. This message was on her Octopus account page.

I had a message several months ago offering the upgrade even though my old meter was sending my usage to Octopus. Then I thought:£25? Yes please!

That's the same as me. I've just emailed Octopus about switching to them next month when my OVO contract runs out. I've asked about my smart meter. Waiting for a reply.

I think i will doing a move to them in May as my current viarable will be nearer to their unit rate at that time, and when the car arrives in June (Cough) switch over to Go

I would imagine the off peak price of 7.5 is going to jump in April.

I’m on Octopus Go and have a SMETS1 (Secure) meter which was installed by First Utility (now Shell Energy) quite a few years ago. The meter works fine and I get all the half hour meter readings and usage on the app. I haven’t received any news Octopus wanting to upgrade my meter yet.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom