Snow foam mark on MG4 plastic panel

firstMG

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
just washed the car with some snow foam, the snow foam left some nasty marks on the side plastic panel.

Anyone has suggestion to clean it off?

IMG_20240501_141336.jpg

Snow foams don't usually leave residue like that unless they've been left too long, almost drying on the panel, before being rinsed off. Was that side of the car facing the sun or anything. Check if your foam is a high alkaline one, I try to go pH balanced if possible or mild alkaline and have tremendous results with bilt hamber touchless as a pre wash

Snow foams don't usually leave residue like that unless they've been left too long, almost drying on the panel, before being rinsed off. Was that side of the car facing the sun or anything. Check if your foam is a high alkaline one, I try to go pH balanced if possible or mild alkaline and have tremendous results with bilt hamber touchless as a pre wash
The snow foam is pH neutral, I think I left it too long (starts to dry). Any suggestion to remove the stain?

thank you. do you know if it is safe to use on matte paint?
I’ve never had a matte finish paint but it’s fine on all other surfaces gloss paint, plastic, tyres, chrome and glass except for the windscreen.
There are matte specific cleaners which might be safer to find.

thank you. do you know if it is safe to use on matte paint?

Don't get it on the paintwork.

Spray it on the cloth first, then try it on the panel you have pictured.

If it doesn't work by hand, you might need a small orbital polisher to assist.

I've not used snow foam yet, but wouldn't re-applying it remove the marks ?

I had some swirl marks on the same panel. I used Supagard's Paintseal cream on it, and it removed the marks easily. Apply a small amount evenly over the panel with a small sponge, allow it to go hazy, and buff off with a microfibre cloth.

I had some swirl marks on the same panel. I used Supagard's Paintseal cream on it, and it removed the marks easily. Apply a small amount evenly over the panel with a small sponge, allow it to go hazy, and buff off with a microfibre cloth.
I find waterless car cleaner shifts anything, marks, bugs, tar etc and leaves a fine polish finish.
sorry to report, just tried waterless car cleaner, it didn't work.

this morning I tried:
1) snow foam again. some people snow foam itself may clean it. but, no luck
2) tried waterless car cleaner, it didn't work either.

some people suggest to waterspot remover, any thoughts?

Try white vinegar and water at a 50%/50% mix. That is known to be a good water spot remover. As per a previous thread then soak a kitchen paper towel in the vinegar and leave it on the panel for around 10 minutes to soak in fully into the stain.

Then work in some Autoglym Super Resin Polish with a damp MF Mitt/Cloth and gently buff off with a clean dry MF cloth (turning regularly).

Failing that try and borrow a machine polisher and use a medium compound polish (after masking off the surrounding areas).

Lesson learnt 😁 ... never let anything dry out on your cars paintwork - keep spraying water over the whole car in warmer weather and dry off asap before anything dries. Wash in the shade if possible 👍. These new ceramic snow foams/shampoos and stuff like Gyeon WetCoat are buggers for leaving streaks otherwise !!

Good luck 👍

before and after 50/50 shot using machine polisher :-

Attachments

• B Pillars.jpg
    B Pillars.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Try white vinegar and water at a 50%/50% mix. That is known to be a good water spot remover. As per a previous thread then soak a kitchen paper towel in the vinegar and leave it on the panel for around 10 minutes to soak in fully into the stain.

Then work in some Autoglym Super Resin Polish with a damp MF Mitt/Cloth and gently buff off with a clean dry MF cloth (turning regularly).

Failing that try and borrow a machine polisher and use a medium compound polish (after masking off the surrounding areas).

Lesson learnt 😁 ... never let anything dry out on your cars paintwork - keep spraying water over the whole car in warmer weather and dry off asap before anything dries. Wash in the shade if possible 👍. These new ceramic snow foams/shampoos and stuff like Gyeon WetCoat are buggers for leaving streaks otherwise !!

Good luck 👍

Always wash in shade or overcast skies, never let any product dry on the car. As the saying goes ‘always read the instructions of the product’ 🫣

I have tried searching for a previous post of yours regarding the mini machine polisher, but cant find.
Would you mind posting the link to product or post please? Thank you

If you have any or know anyone that has some I’d try some Autoglym Fast Glass.

It’s not just good for polishing glass but good on plastics. In the past I’ve waxed the car & you get a little on the rubber, black plastics & it’s leaves those white milky patches, Fast Glass is excellent at removing these stains so I wouldn’t mind betting it would help here

As someone else mentioned, Autoglym Super Resin Polish would also be worth trying.

But anything you try I’d advise just using on a tiny part first

Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_2998.jpeg
    IMG_2998.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3001.png
    IMG_3001.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 21
I have tried searching for a previous post of yours regarding the mini machine polisher, but cant find.
Would you mind posting the link to product or post please? Thank you
You can get small polishing pads and discs that you can use with a cordless drill. Might be a more cost effective option.

You can get small polishing pads and discs that you can use with a cordless drill. Might be a more cost effective option.
Thank you. I actually had a DA polisher with small pad attachment. However I sold it a couple of years ago due to lack of use!

Good luck 👍

tried vinegar and water mix this morning, it didn't do anything.

will look at getting the panel wrapped.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel