So do you like your MG ZS EV?

DrJohnny Fever

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So I’ve had my ZS EV LR since November, can’t really say that I like it, I don’t know why, I just don’t, I like that it does what it says on the tin about mileage, I’ve got around 268 on a run, if I sit around 60mph…would I buy another MG…probably not, unless they brought something out of this world and even then, I wouldn’t buy it from the MG up the road…i did go off and look at BYD cars, which I think I‘ll look at buying the next time around..as I said, unless something better turns up…so am I the only one that doesn’t like the car?

I've got to ask why you bought it if you don't like it.

I love mine.
Good question, I liked it back in December last year and then I had almost a year of being pissed about..like most on here I was told I would get the car in March and this is what I’d get as a trade in price..all a load of shit and I’d say it’s taken the shine off the car..

Good question, I liked it back in December last year and then I had almost a year of being pissed about..like most on here I was told I would get the car in March and this is what I’d get as a trade in price..all a load of sh*t and I’d say it’s taken the shine off the car..
I think all of the above factors had a big impact on why you likely fell out of love with the car, even before you received it really, I am willing to bet ???.
All a bit of an anti climax in the end I guess 🤷‍♂️.
Which IS a shame really.
Is the car perfect ........... No - But show me one that is ?.
We have owned our ZS EV Trophy LR since mid March 2022 and after covering 12500 miles I am still happy enough with the car.
No hurry in returning to a ICE model anytime soon, that's for sure.
99% of the time we are charging from home and therefore the running costs are very affordable.

Nice to hear from you again @DrJohnny Fever - I also have a silver ZS, and I love it. It’s relaxing to drive, I like the ride height, the boot size, the pan roof, the 360 camera, and not having to visit a petrol station. The infotainment is a bit pants at times, but generally okay.

I am not a fan of the vinyl - oops vegan leather seats, but I think lots of car manufacturers are using similar now, believing it to be more eco friendly. I am not convinced. I would have happily paid extra for proper leather.

All in all, I think it’s a great car for the money.

All in all I am very happy with the car, the way it drives, running costs and the quality is better than the plastic I was expecting.
I Do have a couple of gripes with the cheap seat material and the user interface of the infotainment system is a bit slow but so far that’s all.

I am so happy that my ZS silver paint is still shining after 5 months without car wash. They must used some kind of magic wax.

I do not like any leather but I do like trophy features.

In a word, yes.

Two weeks off a year with Moby and I still love him.

Not perfect by any stretch (boot space, UI quirks in the car and the app, inability to interface with my charger for preheat & the inexplicable no regen on ACC), however “perfect” is another £15-20k which I haven’t got.

In a word, yes.

Two weeks off a year with Moby and I still love him.

Not perfect by any stretch (boot space, UI quirks in the car and the app, inability to interface with my charger for preheat & the inexplicable no regen on ACC), however “perfect” is another £15-20k which I haven’t got.
£15-£20k wouldn't get you a perfect car, it would get you a car that might be a bit faster and a bit posher but no doubt would have many quirks and faults also.

My Trophy Connect LR got delivered last night, first impressions are that it's quite a decent step up from the petrol ZS that I had on hire for a week (centre console, media UI, digital dash, features, armrest between rear seats). Really impressed on initial inspection.

Also quite impressed that after being driven 70 miles being delivered to me (all motorway), it still showed 206 miles remaining in Eco mode.

Looking forward to getting accustomed to it over the new few weeks.

£15-£20k wouldn't get you a perfect car, it would get you a car that might be a bit faster and a bit posher but no doubt would have many quirks and faults also.

My Trophy Connect LR got delivered last night, first impressions are that it's quite a decent step up from the petrol ZS that I had on hire for a week (centre console, media UI, digital dash, features, armrest between rear seats). Really impressed on initial inspection.

Also quite impressed that after being driven 70 miles being delivered to me (all motorway), it still showed 206 miles remaining in Eco mode.

Looking forward to getting accustomed to it over the new few weeks.
Glad you liked it on first impressions- it gets better with time.

Much as I have my (actually few) gripes, overall, it just works

Too many annoying "features" to love but does the basics so don't dislike as such.

Loving my white zs long range ev , much more than I thought I would , coming from a diesel Audi a4 and Citroen aircross I would say there isnt that much difference in quality and niggles and yes I would agree the informat isn’t as refined as some it’s no worse than previous cars though. Always look forward to driving and for a £30k electric it’s pretty good

Yes I had to wait 9 month for the delivery but I have had mine since July 2022. Driven around 11k miles. In that period did two long journeys. 1st from Wycombe to Manchester in one stretch no re-charge. 2nd to Isle of White and back also no re-charging. Brilliant. Compared to all other EV it has a reasonable price point and drives smooth as anything. I can't complain.

I had my car in September, yes it has some quirks but I still have a smile on my face when I drive it

I don’t know whether to put what I like about the car, or what I dislike about it, maybe both…I like the pan-roof…I dislike the lip when the seats are down (pain getting the golf bag in) I like I don’t have to fish the key out my pocket to open it…I dislike the boot isn’t electric…I like that it leaves most cars at the traffic lights…I dislike that the air vent shows in the wing mirror (little round silver rings) I like that it does what it says it should on a run (268ish miles on normal, gen 3) dislike the warning that there’s a car stopped in front of me ( isn’t it supposed to brake for you?, if you get to close) dislike there’s no cubbyholes, for change etc, dislike them silly little arrows to change from radio to my phone music, (much too small) dislike that it will change from my phone music to the radio, for no reason at all, dislike the sh*t 3d cameras..dislike the info system is too far down and I have to take my eyes off the road, normally to get my phone music back..nothing major I know…

Too many annoying "features" to love but does the basics so don't dislike as such.
Something our partners may say about us! 🤣

I don’t know whether to put what I like about the car, or what I dislike about it, maybe both…I like the pan-roof…I dislike the lip when the seats are down (pain getting the golf bag in) I like I don’t have to fish the key out my pocket to open it…I dislike the boot isn’t electric…I like that it leaves most cars at the traffic lights…I dislike that the air vent shows in the wing mirror (little round silver rings) I like that it does what it says it should on a run (268ish miles on normal, gen 3) dislike the warning that there’s a car stopped in front of me ( isn’t it supposed to brake for you?, if you get to close) dislike there’s no cubbyholes, for change etc, dislike them silly little arrows to change from radio to my phone music, (much too small) dislike that it will change from my phone music to the radio, for no reason at all, dislike the sh*t 3d cameras..dislike the info system is too far down and I have to take my eyes off the road, normally to get my phone music back..nothing major I know…
Subjective, but we get what we are willing to pay for!

and a surprisingly short list too:LOL:

You can press the unlock button on the doors with the key still in your pocket and it'll unlock, same with the boot just open it and it'll unlock with the key still in your pocket and relock when you close.
Yes it does auto-brake, because that's one of my annoyances! If a car in front turns and you want to accelerate past then it tends to slam the brake on even though there's room to pass. Happened today and is so annoying.

Yes, I like my ZS EV. There are a few things I would love to see improved or at least offered as an option in future such as:
  • Driver's memory seat. It's a 🏐 ache to readjust seat/mirrors when the vehicle is shared.
  • Infotainment screen position switched with vents so it sits higher up and is better in my eye line.
  • Part leather/alcantara seating - I do not love the pure pleather. But it helps that I can pre-cool.
  • Heated steering wheel, plus staged heated seating (it's roast or nothing)
  • I hate the charge port being on the nose. I always prefer to reverse park.
  • Regen on ACC. Can prove it in any scientific way, but my efficiency on the motorway is always better with it off
These are things I knew I'd have to live with when I ordered the car, so it's not as if MG underdelivered. On the good side, I've not had many issues so far, & it's been easy to charge out on the road. If I were to list a few positives:
  • Seeing 3.7 miles per kWh on a motorway run (I don't dip below 70mph if I can help it), and 5 miles per kWh in the city when it's 22 out - would love to see what could be an achieved on a proper summer's day. I don't think the efficiency is that bad (?) considering it's like driving a brick. We'll see what winter holds.
  • I love the size of it. Compact enough to fling about in town, but roomy enough to pack a good amount in... Just did a move in it last weekend. Sweet for a Costco haul too.
  • Good raised seating position. So much easier for me, plus better for getting my parent in/out.
  • Plenty of room in the back for passionate people.
It's a cheaper brand so with that comes some compromise. Whilst there are little other things I'd probably add to the car, I don't get in it and feel short-changed. We'll see if I feel differently once I've had it a bit longer... I have been eyeing the new Volvo though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom