So how do I switch off the radio?

martintheb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
This is silly, but quite annoying. I've just bought a second-hand MG5 SR and I'm enjoying it very much.

But one thing is annoying me. When I turn on the car, the radio goes on. I don't want the radio on. I don't want any media system playing unless I ask for it. I can switch it off by switching the whole navigation system into standby. But I want to use the satnav and not have the radio playing. I get round it by using the mute button on the steering wheel. How do I switch it off and get it to stay off?

I have read the instructions - it just says I can switch between sources. But there doesn't seem to be a "nothing playing" source.

Am I being stupid?

Thanks.

This has been mentioned on the forums before - feels like there is a missing option to just have silence but without also muting the SatNav. One option is to move to music on Apple CarPlay (Android Auto may work the same) and press the pause button. Or insert a USB stick and do the same / play a 'blank' file. Not idea - and quite possibly something that could be fixed in a future software update if enough people request it from MG 🤷‍♂️

I have discovered a workaround. Make sure you have a USB drive with a video file on it. Then, select the video button. If driving, the video won't play but if you then hit the chrome home button, you get the screen below, which is the answer to this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20220215_110441.jpg
    IMG_20220215_110441.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 283
Hi Martin
welcome to the forums! I’d be interested to know the age, mileage, and how much you paid for the 5SR. The waiting times for new cars seems to be approaching my expected lifespan, so I may have to buy S/H if I want to drive an MG before a mobility scooter!

The satnav voice is separate to the music audio, so just turn the music audio down to zero (not mute), sat nav should still work. This is what I do in the ZS EV (pre-facelift).
Yes works on 5 as well

Hi Martin
welcome to the forums! I’d be interested to know the age, mileage, and how much you paid for the 5SR. The waiting times for new cars seems to be approaching my expected lifespan, so I may have to buy S/H if I want to drive an MG before a mobility scooter!
Hi there and thanks for the welcome.

My MG5SR is 15 months old with a bit over 8000 miles on the clock. I paid a shade under 24K for it. Like you, I didn't want to wait for months - actually, I couldn't wait for months, as my previous car had terminal problems :(

I'm very much enjoying it, but we have only charged it at home with a granny cable so far. We have a week's holiday booked at the end of March. We're looking at that with a little trepidation....

Childish, but I just love the way that EVs glide away silently ;)

Would you be able to use the 'granny' while on holiday?.
Check out Zap-map to find a supermarket or car cark with free chargers, you may need the PodPoint app to start the charge.

You can use slow charger anywhere where you have a three pin plug and you can safely run the cable or high quality extension lead. The property wiring needs to be in good order.

Hi there and thanks for the welcome.

My MG5SR is 15 months old with a bit over 8000 miles on the clock. I paid a shade under 24K for it. Like you, I didn't want to wait for months - actually, I couldn't wait for months, as my previous car had terminal problems :(

I'm very much enjoying it, but we have only charged it at home with a granny cable so far. We have a week's holiday booked at the end of March. We're looking at that with a little trepidation....

Childish, but I just love the way that EVs glide away silently ;)
I would recommend a splash and dash (or whatever the electron equivalent is) at a local rapid and a top up at a local type 2, just to practice and make sure everything is OK and you are happy with everything... before you go on holiday and have to do it for real. :)

This is silly, but quite annoying. I've just bought a second-hand MG5 SR and I'm enjoying it very much.

But one thing is annoying me. When I turn on the car, the radio goes on. I don't want the radio on. I don't want any media system playing unless I ask for it. I can switch it off by switching the whole navigation system into standby. But I want to use the satnav and not have the radio playing. I get round it by using the mute button on the steering wheel. How do I switch it off and get it to stay off?

I have read the instructions - it just says I can switch between sources. But there doesn't seem to be a "nothing playing" source.

Am I being stupid?

Thanks.
I too had this problem on my "5 LR". I also didn't like the "info" screen ( the colours!). Just press the button in the volume control and hold for a few seconds. The display changes and the radio goes off!! It will stay like this on restart....another long press on the same button will return to the "info" screen.

I too had this problem on my "5 LR". I also didn't like the "info" screen ( the colours!). Just press the button in the volume control and hold for a few seconds. The display changes and the radio goes off!! It will stay like this on restart....another long press on the same button will return to the "info" screen.

Am I being stupid?

Thanks.
Just press and hold the button (and hold for a few seconds). Same button to switch it back on! 🤓

Just press and hold the button (and hold for a few seconds). Same button to switch it back on! 🤓
Which button is that?
I have the problem that I'm using Android Auto. But every time I start my MG5 the radio plays for a couple of seconds before Android Auto kicks in. The volume of the radio is also louder than that from Android Auto.

Which button is that?
I have the problem that I'm using Android Auto. But every time I start my MG5 the radio plays for a couple of seconds before Android Auto kicks in. The volume of the radio is also louder than that from Android Auto.
I wonder if this is difference between the pre and facelift versions. I have the facelift and I find more often than not the radio is off when i start the car and I have to turn it on. which is fine with me i prefer it that way.

I wonder if this is difference between the pre and facelift versions. I have the facelift and I find more often than not the radio is off when i start the car and I have to turn it on. which is fine with me i prefer it that way.
I have the facelift version as well. I can pause the radio but it (always?) turns on again when I restart te car.

I have the facelift version as well. I can pause the radio but it (always?) turns on again when I restart te car.
Mine seems to switch the src to media I think. I thought this might have been because I was connecting my phone before starting but happens even when I do not. Once the car is "started" I hit the src button and the radio comes on.

Mine seems to switch the src to media I think. I thought this might have been because I was connecting my phone before starting but happens even when I do not. Once the car is "started" I hit the src button and the radio comes on.
If you are using Android Auto there is a setting in the AA app 'start music automatically' that starts media on startup.
(Go into your phone settings and search for Android Auto.)

If you are using Android Auto there is a setting in the AA app 'start music automatically' that starts media on startup.
(Go into your phone settings and search for Android Auto.)
Thanks for this, I did check and cannot see any setting like this for Carplay. As I say not a big issue for me. Only takes a click of the SRC button and it starts the radio.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom