Software update and upgrade newer version

Smith

Novice Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to upgrade MG ZS EV normal to MGZS EV internet electric car? Because my MG zs ev doesn’t have hello MG voice command to open window or sunroof etc.

@Smith,
Not sure this is available in the UK/EU versions of the ZS EV.
I am sending my car in for software updates next week and I will ask all this questions then.
The rumour is that only Asian versions of the ZS EV have these functions. Why ???
Anyone's guess but seems all advanced EV features at the moment rely in part on 4/5 G level internet solutions.
Apparently MG have these in abundance almost at par with Tesla but will not put them in the EU/UK cars. Why ??
Well, simple if Tesla does it,....it is advanced tech application to daily life but if MG or any Chinese company does the same it is.... Chinese using tech to spy on us etc.
So that's the rumour and if it happens to be true then it is unlikely that we will get those features soon.

@Smith,
Not sure this is available in the UK/EU versions of the ZS EV.
I am sending my car in for software updates next week and I will ask all this questions then.
The rumour is that only Asian versions of the ZS EV have these functions. Why ???
Anyone's guess but seems all advanced EV features at the moment rely in part on 4/5 G level internet solutions.
Apparently MG have these in abundance almost at par with Tesla but will not put them in the EU/UK cars. Why ??
Well, simple if Tesla does it,....it is advanced tech application to daily life but if MG or any Chinese company does the same it is.... Chinese using tech to spy on us etc.
So that's the rumour and if it happens to be true then it is unlikely that we will get those features soon.
How do you know when there are software updates available?

If you search YouTube you can find a video on why European MGs don’t have internet connectivity. According to the poster it’s because MG use a Chinese server and the EU have issues with this. A bit like the 5G provider debate here in the UK.

@Mgkev,
You are right. Are these reports however fact or rumour ?
I have yet to come across a formal document from MG or EU regulators on this issue.
Why is there no concerns about Tesla and their service providers?
I think if Tesla can be allowed to crop up so much information about it's customers as it likes, then every car company should also be allowed. After all it is the customers' choice.
More importantly so far as I am concerned as a nation the USA is as much a treat to UK as China is.
The days when China was thought of as an evil country with nuclear weapons that will seek to fight the west is past.
The only war on now is the war of economic dominance. So far as that is concerned American has shown a very ugly face of "bully-boy" tactics under Trump while China has shown mature intelligent negotiation.
The EU / UK opposition to Chinese Tech is in my opinion just one of many weak responses to the American bully-boy.
The UK must be very careful of the American bully-boy!!!!. UK is likely to suffer more harm following American like a dog follows it's master than any envisaged harm that using Chinese Tech may cause us.
Well enough of the politics.
Back to the issue...
We have to join together and ask MG to provide us with this software and see where we get to. That will be my approach.

@Mgkev,
You are right. Are these reports however fact or rumour ?
I have yet to come across a formal document from MG or EU regulators on this issue.
Why is there no concerns about Tesla and their service providers?
I think if Tesla can be allowed to crop up so much information about it's customers as it likes, then every car company should also be allowed. After all it is the customers' choice.
More importantly so far as I am concerned as a nation the USA is as much a treat to UK as China is.
The days when China was thought of as an evil country with nuclear weapons that will seek to fight the west is past.
The only war on now is the war of economic dominance. So far as that is concerned American has shown a very ugly face of "bully-boy" tactics under Trump while China has shown mature intelligent negotiation.
The EU / UK opposition to Chinese Tech is in my opinion just one of many weak responses to the American bully-boy.
The UK must be very careful of the American bully-boy!!!!. UK is likely to suffer more harm following American like a dog follows it's master than any envisaged harm that using Chinese Tech may cause us.
Well enough of the politics.
Back to the issue...
We have to join together and ask MG to provide us with this software and see where we get to. That will be my approach.

Some interesting comments. I do hope the US will get rid of the bully boy come November as I can't imagine the danger he'll pose to the whole world if we're inflicted with another 4 years of the deranged idiot. The current White house resident aside though, I've thought for a while the US may become more and more unpredictable and dangerous as it loses it's economic dominance. It's only a matter of time before China replaces it as the number one economic power and it could well get very ugly if the US lashes out in an attempt to retain power as economic alliances with the rest of the world continue to shift to the east.

When did you last see anything at all with "Made in USA" stamped on it?

Some interesting comments. I do hope the US will get rid of the bully boy come November as I can't imagine the danger he'll pose to the whole world if we're inflicted with another 4 years of the deranged idiot. The current White house resident aside though, I've thought for a while the US may become more and more unpredictable and dangerous as it loses it's economic dominance. It's only a matter of time before China replaces it as the number one economic power and it could well get very ugly if the US lashes out in an attempt to retain power as economic alliances with the rest of the world continue to shift to the east.

When did you last see anything at all with "Made in USA" stamped on it?
Lefty Alert!

Have I got this wrong? Isn't a thread about the software updates to do with our cars? I thought politics was another thread.

Well Folks, EVs are a very political issue and so is every thing made in China by Chinese manufacturers. If however some product is made in China but for an American company such as Apple that seems not to be political.
In buying ZS EV we are being " double political".
1. For buying EV and not ICE
2. For buying Chinese MG.
So well OK ....we are keeping the politics out.
OK so back to the software issue.
It is so annoying that the UK/EU versions of ZS EV lacks the software in the Asian versions. ( I won't mention the politics related to this)…
Does any of you know whether if one was to acquire the "Chip Box" and software for say the Indian version whether it will work in the
UK?

Well Folks, EVs are a very political issue and so is every thing made in China by Chinese manufacturers. If however some product is made in China but for an American company such as Apple that seems not to be political.
In buying ZS EV we are being " double political".
1. For buying EV and not ICE
2. For buying Chinese MG.
So well OK ....we are keeping the politics out.
OK so back to the software issue.
It is so annoying that the UK/EU versions of ZS EV lacks the software in the Asian versions. ( I won't mention the politics related to this)…
Does any of you know whether if one was to acquire the "Chip Box" and software for say the Indian version whether it will work in the
UK?

You might get the better Asian user interface working, just with no internet connectivity as there is no infrastructure to support it here, therefore nothing for it to "talk to". It'll almost certainly mean no warranty support for any software issues you might get that stop the car from running! That alone would scare me off thinking about it.

@Paulie68
Your comments on Asian ZS EV software etc noted. You are absolutely right. Also just been told software likely to have complex activation codes which are based on chassis numbers so software for Asia will not activate when placed in an European car etc.

Hi Folks,
Just been thinking of this software issues and what has lead to the delayed Charging update being provided by MG.
Of particular interest were the action taken by our fellow community members as highlighted in the thread " MG smartgate ".
I will suggest if after lockdown no update is available in the UK but available in EU then we should all approach MG to ask why?
@MarkR and @Darkriver, I note your inputs into MG smartgate thread. Any comments on on how you are approaching lack of other functional updates?

Why don't we keep ta;king about the car …...I am asking myself if there is another multimedia unit in the car in Thailand or india, my concern is not so a app, witch is fine if it is possible, but in you tube you see in the screen a lot more options, like temperture , exact capacity of the battery etc etc, that must be possible for us? Sorry i am from the netherlands....

However, in Thailand they pay the equivalent of 39,000 euros import tax free. Considerably more than we do.

Only going by what Bjorn Nyland stated on his YouTube channel regarding his recent purchase of a MG ZS EV which he uses in Thailand. Chinese cars have no import tax on them making the MG a good deal for them.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom