Software update disaster (now resolved)

Dropped car off for the software update and mentioned PeteJ's problem. They said that was the first update they'd done and "got it wrong". I asked that I'd like the car to be taken for a longish drive after the updates are completed before I picked it up. Picked car up and checked the mileage, which showed a couple of miles added since I'd dropped it off, so was happy that they had taken it for a test drive. Was still a bit nervous when driving off though, but two days later all fine. Everything I expected from the update was done. Quicker startup, external temp, less and fewer bongs etc. Well worth getting it done.

Glad DaveH had the update workout OK. I’ll be using Richmonds for my update in January and hopefully they’ll have mastered it all by then. I looked at Henry’s in Bournemouth on Monday but they’re a bit out the way when killing time. At least Richmonds are in town so a day spent in Southampton can be put to good use.

My 2 year old ZS EV with 15600 miles on it went in for it's second service and 3 recall software updates BMS and 2 small updates at 09:00 this morning. The garage, Parks MG in Dreghorn, Ayrshire phoned me at 17:00 to tell me the car will now not start. I asked for a replacement vehicle and they said they had none available and it was up to MG to sort it out. They gave me MG customer service number 02039449337. I phoned the number it rings once a recorded tune plays for 1 minute then a recorded voice comes on says sorry no one is available to take your call please try again later and cuts me off. I phoned Parks back and told them, they're answer? "Yes we couldn't get through to technical services department either". I was supposed to be taking the car on a short break tomorrow. First 250 mile plus journey. Looks like it's not happening.
If this is an example of MG dealer and manufacturer customer service I definitely won't be buying another one. I'll keep you all posted on the outcome

My 2 year old ZS EV with 15600 miles on it went in for it's second service and 3 recall software updates BMS and 2 small updates at 09:00 this morning. The garage, Parks MG in Dreghorn, Ayrshire phoned me at 17:00 to tell me the car will now not start. I asked for a replacement vehicle and they said they had none available and it was up to MG to sort it out. They gave me MG customer service number 02039449337. I phoned the number it rings once a recorded tune plays for 1 minute then a recorded voice comes on says sorry no one is available to take your call please try again later and cuts me off. I phoned Parks back and told them, they're answer? "Yes we couldn't get through to technical services department either". I was supposed to be taking the car on a short break tomorrow. First 250 mile plus journey. Looks like it's not happening.
If this is an example of MG dealer and manufacturer customer service I definitely won't be buying another one. I'll keep you all posted on the outcome
Bad luck hope it gets sorted soon

The garage, Parks MG in Dreghorn, Ayrshire phoned me at 17:00 to tell me the car will now not start.
I wonder if it would respond to the spare key, that I assume you still have back at home ?.
Had a similar situation, when my ZS EV went in for it's first service and to have the drivers door wiring loom replaced on a recall on a Friday.
The Tech had left the single key that I have provided, very close ( our even inside the car ) when the work was being carried out.
When the 12 volt battery was reconnected, the alarm would sound continually and the car would NOT respond when the "Start" button was depressed, it was completely DEAD.
They played with the car again on Saturday morning, but could not locate the problem.
On the Monday they contacted the MG Tech Team and they managed to uploaded the data pack from the car.
After MG Tech had studied the info, they instructed the dealer to contact the owner and request the spare key.
So, I delivered the key that same afternoon and it instantly brought the car back to life !.
The first key had been scrabbled somehow and lost it's ability to speak to the car.
Although the spare key worked fine, both keys have to re-programmed as a "PAIR'.
As part of the info received from MG Tech Team - The dealer was then instructed to apply the new BMS update, that had only just been released the previous day !.
It must have been one of the first customers cars, to receive it I think.
Regarding the car completely shutting down, it was discovered that when carrying out the work on the car, the key should have been kept WELL out of range of the car detecting it.
This was NOT mentioned in the MG Tech manual.
The car somehow thought, there had been an attempt to steal it and therefore immobilized both it and the key !.
Regarding car hire, the dealer will e.mail the main MG after sales team, who will then give the dealer written permission to set up a hire car, from a local hire company.
The dealer will not act unless they have permission from MG after sales not the dealer after sales !.
I had to travel down this path a few months ago, when I needed a hire car because our car was stuck back at the dealership awaiting two replacement parts, that ended up almost taking a month to procure and install !.
If it's not the key, then it's a problem with the way they have applied the software update I think.
ASK THEM TO TRY THE SPARE KEY FIRST !!!!!.
Good luck and keep us posted please !.

That message must have been pushed out because when my car was in for its extended stay recently, the service manager made it clear in a discussion that when they were working on the car, the key had to be stored in a location that was not close-by for exactly the reasons you state.

Didn't someone on here mention before that both keys had to be present when doing certain updates ?

I asked for a replacement vehicle and they said they had none available and it was up to MG to sort it out.
That is shocking customer service. They can't get your car started/fixed, they should provide you with a means of transportation until they sort it out.
An MG franchised garage telling you that MG should sort it out is like a milkman selling you sour milk then telling you to speak to farmer, he needs to sort it out.
Don't stand for that reply. I find trustpilot a good place to give feedback on poor customer service - and theirs currently isn't too good.
I'd do it after the issue is resolved though 🤨

I wonder if it would respond to the spare key, that I assume you still have back at home ?.
Had a similar situation, when my ZS EV went in for it's first service and to have the drivers door wiring loom replaced on a recall on a Friday.
The Tech had left the single key that I have provided, very close ( our even inside the car ) when the work was being carried out.
When the 12 volt battery was reconnected, the alarm would sound continually and the car would NOT respond when the "Start" button was depressed, it was completely DEAD.
They played with the car again on Saturday morning, but could not locate the problem.
On the Monday they contacted the MG Tech Team and they managed to uploaded the data pack from the car.
After MG Tech had studied the info, they instructed the dealer to contact the owner and request the spare key.
So, I delivered the key that same afternoon and it instantly brought the car back to life !.
The first key had been scrabbled somehow and lost it's ability to speak to the car.
Although the spare key worked fine, both keys have to re-programmed as a "PAIR'.
As part of the info received from MG Tech Team - The dealer was then instructed to apply the new BMS update, that had only just been released the previous day !.
It must have been one of the first customers cars, to receive it I think.
Regarding the car completely shutting down, it was discovered that when carrying out the work on the car, the key should have been kept WELL out of range of the car detecting it.
This was NOT mentioned in the MG Tech manual.
The car somehow thought, there had been an attempt to steal it and therefore immobilized both it and the key !.
Regarding car hire, the dealer will e.mail the main MG after sales team, who will then give the dealer written permission to set up a hire car, from a local hire company.
The dealer will not act unless they have permission from MG after sales not the dealer after sales !.
I had to travel down this path a few months ago, when I needed a hire car because our car was stuck back at the dealership awaiting two replacement parts, that ended up almost taking a month to procure and install !.
If it's not the key, then it's a problem with the way they have applied the software update I think.
ASK THEM TO TRY THE SPARE KEY FIRST !!!!!.
Good luck and keep us posted please !.
They had both keys so that's not option got a Petrol nissan juke to use til mine is fixed.

Just a quick update. I got my car back yesterday 10th February in the afternoon. It had just been fixed. Garage said they had to order a "master" key as mine had "lost" the code???. As a result the garage, Parks of Dreghorn, replaced both key batteries and did not charge me for the 2 year service. So not a bad result after all. So far the car appears to be OK now. So at least there are still some garages that still value their customers.

Just a quick update. I got my car back yesterday 10th February in the afternoon. It had just been fixed. Garage said they had to order a "master" key as mine had "lost" the code???. As a result the garage, Parks of Dreghorn, replaced both key batteries and did not charge me for the 2 year service. So not a bad result after all. So far the car appears to be OK now. So at least there are still some garages that still value their customers.
When my car had a problem, they asked for the second spare key.
The spare key booted up the car no problem, but the first key 🔑 could not be recognised by the car.
They told me that the keys need to be coded as a pair !.
I am a little confused why they call the supplied key a “Master Key” because both keys are identical and have the same functionality ?.
My guess is that the first key had a internal issue and could not be coded.
Then when the replacement fob arrived, they would have cover both keys together.
What was the original problem with the car then ?.

Nothing wrong with the car. The garage bricked it doing the recall updates during the service. I reckon they've left the keys in the car during the update and it has decoded the keys

Nothing wrong with the car. The garage bricked it doing the recall updates during the service. I reckon they've left the keys in the car during the update and it has decoded the keys
I reckon you are bang on there @Rabmc.
Had the same problem with mine, when it went in for the update / wiring loom replaced in the drivers door.
Car sensed an attempt to steal the car and applied the immobilizer and scrambled the code in the first key, that had been left inside the car.
When the 12 volt battery was re-connected, the alarm sounded continually.
They could only bring the car back to life, then when I delivered the spare key that I still had at home, the car jumped back into life.
They then had to reprogram BOTH keys together.
Good job they did not have both keys at the time !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom