Software Update

biffo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Well, after being delayed due to Covid, I got some software updates applied to my September 21 MG5LR. Not certain exactly what I got, nothing seemed different with the car so I tried a rapid charger which nearly always fails for me. Result? Fastest rates I’ve had from ChargePlace Scotland so far.

1655321411317.png

17.394kWh in 21 minutes = 49.7kW from a 50kW unit. Given that this unit rarely connected for me, and the speed achieved, I’d say this was a worthwhile update.

Well, after being delayed due to Covid, I got some software updates applied to my September 21 MG5LR. Not certain exactly what I got, nothing seemed different with the car so I tried a rapid charger which nearly always fails for me. Result? Fastest rates I’ve had from ChargePlace Scotland so far.

View attachment 8969

17.394kWh in 21 minutes = 49.7kW from a 50kW unit. Given that this unit rarely connected for me, and the speed achieved, I’d say this was a worthwhile update.
Result! Hopefully I will get the same updates next week when I get the service done.

View attachment 8969

Lovely- glad to hear it made such a difference. I’m of the opinion that my car also takes power a bit quicker than before. We recently drove as far as Kirkcudbright using some terrific back roads where possible. We left home topped up to 100% and drove to Dumfries where we charged back to 85% then drove to Kippford. Next day we took the grand wee roads to Kirkcudbright where we spent about two hours or so. As we left the car park we noticed a beautiful new looking CPS charger with no cars attached 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Because of the non existent signal on the phone and lack of (promised) wifi in the caravan, I had no idea the charger was there. On the way back home we stopped at Moffat, waited til a Nissan finished and tried umpteen times to charge without any success 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
We made it home with about 10% so there was no problem.
So since then we’ve charged back to 80% a couple of times on CCS units so hopefully the Moffat incident was a fluke 🤞🤞

Lovely- glad to hear it made such a difference. I’m of the opinion that my car also takes power a bit quicker than before. We recently drove as far as Kirkcudbright using some terrific back roads where possible. We left home topped up to 100% and drove to Dumfries where we charged back to 85% then drove to Kippford. Next day we took the grand wee roads to Kirkcudbright where we spent about two hours or so. As we left the car park we noticed a beautiful new looking CPS charger with no cars attached 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Because of the non existent signal on the phone and lack of (promised) wifi in the caravan, I had no idea the charger was there. On the way back home we stopped at Moffat, waited til a Nissan finished and tried umpteen times to charge without any success 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
We made it home with about 10% so there was no problem.
So since then we’ve charged back to 80% a couple of times on CCS units so hopefully the Moffat incident was a fluke 🤞🤞
The good thing about Moffat is the CCS might have been broken rather than a car issue as the Nissan was on CHAdeMO.

I’ll get the chance to use some 150kW units soon - see if I can hit the magic 90kW+ speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good thing about Moffat is the CCS might have been broken rather than a car issue as the Nissan was on CHAdeMO.

I’ll get the chance to use some 150kW units soon - see if I can hit the magic 90kWh+ speed.
Oh wow - I’m liking the sound of that - what exotic location are you taking the five to for that high power meal ?

View attachment 8969

View attachment 8969

How did u manage the update was it with a usb.

Is there any way to know if you are on the latest update?
Not that I know of - dealers are starting to perform updates at annual services. But mine was a September 2021 car so likely built a few months before that. Means software is 12 months old and newer delivery cars are likely more up to date. My main issue was rapid charger compatibility- not sure what the other system updates were. Or if I got them.

Super stuff. Enjoy the trip.
I had a notion to release Granny and her extension buddy at our rented caravan last week. However, in the book of words and instructions about using stuff was a specific mention about it.
“Thou shalt not charge thy car” or words to that effect it commanded.
It went on to warn that the site electrics and fuses were not suitable.
We were fine and didn’t need any power as it happened but, on the way out of the site on the last day we passed a car with a granny taking a chance on a few clandestine watts 🫣

I had a notion to release Granny and her extension buddy at our rented caravan last week. However, in the book of words and instructions about using stuff was a specific mention about it.
“Thou shalt not charge thy car” or words to that effect it commanded.
It went on to warn that the site electrics and fuses were not suitable.
We were fine and didn’t need any power as it happened but, on the way out of the site on the last day we passed a car with a granny taking a chance on a few clandestine watts 🫣
So long as you didn't pass the fire engines, blue lighting their way in the opposite direction a few miles down the road - it's probably okay. Or perhaps it was this EV owner who added the t&c addendum to ensure they could top up without shorting out the site 🤔

So long as you didn't pass the fire engines, blue lighting their way in the opposite direction a few miles down the road - it's probably okay. Or perhaps it was this EV owner who added the t&c addendum to ensure they could top up without shorting out the site 🤔
I’m pretty sure that car didn’t move for a couple of days.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom