Software Updates - How?

mystreet

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Probably a silly question, but how do MG update the software?

Via USB stick, USB connection to Laptop (laptop connected to Main server) or OBD to laptop etc

It’s a harry potter update!
My understanding is the latest software is downloaded to the dealership from the MG server. After establishing which cars need updates (this is another area that has not been well handled) They then connect their laptop containing the updates via the OBD port on the car and update the various Modules (which should be done in a specific order - some tickboxes involved i believe) to apply the required updates. It is a combination of a previous software release that contained bugs, inconsistent application of the software updates (i.e. missing tickboxes/order) , a latest battery pack protection release and poor communication/versioning that has created many of the issues the some owners are seeing.

It’s a harry potter update!
My understanding is the latest software is downloaded to the dealership from the MG server. After establishing which cars need updates (this is another area that has not been well handled) They then connect their laptop containing the updates via the OBD port on the car and update the various Modules (which should be done in a specific order - some tickboxes involved i believe) to apply the required updates. It is a combination of a previous software release that contained bugs, inconsistent application of the software updates (i.e. missing tickboxes/order) , a latest battery pack protection release and poor communication/versioning that has created many of the issues the some owners are seeing.
Who is the cynic then?? 😄😆😂😃

Probably a silly question, but how do MG update the software?

Via USB stick, USB connection to Laptop (laptop connected to Main server) or OBD to laptop etc
Mine was updated via OBD to laptop, once the car's vin number is identified the laptop downloads all available updates.

mine had its first service yesterday, the dealer did one update and said they need MG's permission for the others, bongs still there, no indication of temp or range so comfort 2 not done and receptionist did not know which update was carried out and cost was £79

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom