Solar and EVs

Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I saw this week's podcast and the discussion about EV owners considering getting solar.

For me it was the other way around. I got solar first and then tried to buy an EV. Here in Thailand MG includes an MG wall charger and installation with the purchase (would be pretty difficult to buy one yourself). I put a deposit down on a MG ZS EV when they came out here a couple of years ago, but the wall box install company refused to fit a wall box as I had solar "Solar no good"

6 months ago I managed to get a MG HS PHEV (Long story)

So now I don't have a monthly electric bill; 95% of driving is powered by solar (PHEV - doesn't quite have the range) Gas for cooking is about 20 pounds a year.

The cost of my solar panels, inverters and batteries is paid for in 5 years by the savings I am making on electric bills and petrol

For me an EV and solar work well together as I can put my peak midday solar production into the car. My next car (now I have proved you can power an EV from Solar) would have a bigger battery and a faster onboard charger and ideally V2L. Hoping the Marvel R becomes available in RHD

Solar Production 2.jpg

20211101_105929098_iOS.jpg

This weeks podcast was about Solar and I was looking for somewhere to post some follow ups to what we talked about, so I have resurrected this thread that I created earlier in the year.

MG EVs Podcast Monday 20 June 2022 @ 7:30pm BST

In the podcast I mentioned solar panel Orientation: What happens if your roof isn’t facing south (or North if you live in the southern hemisphere) and Elevation: Best angle to fit panels.

I am sure there will be some questions on why I have solar panels on all cardinal points. Here is a video I made explaining my setup

Just got my electric bill for the month - remember houses in Thailand don't have heating, the only fuel we have connected to the house is electricity. Aircon is used more in the summer.

Powered the house and the car exclusively from my home solar and despite the rain this month no units used from the grid just ฿40.9 / 94p for the standing charge

2022 06 23 small.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom