• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Sound generator

Robs

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Yes, i am super happy with my new car, but after a few days that pedestrian alert sound started to annoy me.
I know its compulsory in some countries, but decided to have a go at it anyway. located the speaker (in my rhd car behind and below the righthand headlight) and could disconnect the plug by loosening the plastic underside body plate and reaching in from there.
Sound gone, wonderfully quiet, but now the dash diplays a small warning triangle and sounds a 'ding dong' every now and then.
Not good either....
Has anyone fiddled with this before?
(maybe shortcut those 2 wires or put a resistor in?)

When the switch for the automatic emergency braking system for pedestrians in the infotainment display is ON, the systemwill detect and monitor thepedestrians ahead in the same lane using the forward detection radar and front view camera. When the system detects that there is a risk of collision between the vehicle and the pedestrian ahead, the brake system will automatically intervene to decelerate the vehicle, so as to avoid collision accidents or mitigate damagefromcollision accidents. If the vehicle is braked and stopped under AEB orAEBPcontrol, it will keep stationary for approx. 2s, then the control of the vehicle will be handed over to the driver.

That's a different warning. I am talking about the loudspeaker that makes a sound to alert blind pedestrians and comes on between 0 and 35km/hour and can't be disabled in the menus..

I have not seen any one doing that and I think you have just cancel your car insurance if you run in to someone and you have done this modification they will not cover you.
Doing the above is a modification also cancel your warranty on the car as well.

Last edited:
Does the sounder have its own fuse?
I know it does on the MG5 so you could try removing it.

I don't think a pedestrian warning is a legal requirement in NZ where the OP lives. However why anyone would wish to disable a safety feature designed to protect the blind or partially sighted is a complete mystery to me.

I did not hear any audible warnings on my test drive, I am very aware of annoying noise and car 'rattles'.
Is this a UK legal requirement?

I did not hear any audible warnings on my test drive, I am very aware of annoying noise and car 'rattles'.
Is this a UK legal requirement?
It is a legal requirement for all EV and HEV vehicles registered after 1/7/2019 to be fitted with a audible pedestrian warning system in the EU and the UK. There is a bit of a let out in so much as it "can be temporarily deactivated by the driver if judged necessary". Good luck to anyone trying to claim in court deactivating it is "necessary".

One of the main attractions of an electric car for me is how quiet it can be.
Once you hear this loudspeaker you can't "unhear" it.
Anyway, I looked up a volkswagen blog and they tend to replace the speaker with a 10watt 10ohm resistor. It fools the electronics in thinking the speaker is still there. It works perfect for them.
I tried the same but no luck in the mg, it still displays a fault.
So on to plan B:
loosen some screws in the front part of the right wheel well
pry it open a bit to get access to the speaker
unbolt the 3 bolts, unplug and take the speaker out
remove the front cover of the speaker
stuff it with some foam, so the speaker cone can't move anymore
front cover back on and reassemble everything

Presto....no sound anymore and no display warnings either...

Last edited:
Warranty and insurance invalidated.
As I said in my first post, I understand that it is compulsory in some countries (not in New Zealand), but has nothing to do with warranty.(verified with dealer) it would be the same as, let's say, removing a headrest.
Anyway, I was asking for a solution for a technical problem...

As I said in my first post, I understand that it is compulsory in some countries (not in New Zealand), but has nothing to do with warranty.(verified with dealer) it would be the same as, let's say, removing a headrest.
Anyway, I was asking for a solution for a technical problem...
I've only had my zs 2 weeks and I've not heard the sound, is it supposed to be continuous at low speed or only if it picks up a pedestrian? I have noticed that you can switch it off (pedestrian alert) in settings but it reactivates after shutdown

I've only had my zs 2 weeks and I've not heard the sound, is it supposed to be continuous at low speed or only if it picks up a pedestrian? I have noticed that you can switch it off (pedestrian alert) in settings but it reactivates after shutdown
You may not hear it with the windows up. If you drive with the windows down you will hear it. tbh it doesnt bother me that much

My EhS Sound like a boring 747 and they Can fix it now the dealer they know it more have same Sound when there two demo cars and some there isnt a Sound and Whine

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom