Sound system sound quality

Flatcoat

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
When I test drove the car I didn’t fully check out the sound quality. What are owner’s thoughts? I am used to Harmon Kardon and Bose in cars, hate poor distorted noise.

In my view the sound system is reasonably good and adjustable in many ways.
I did not try personal tracks of high quality but only radio and telephone calls.
DAB stations give much better performance then FM so I selected music stations on DAB and voice stations on FM memory ❤️

As I said in my previous post it’s okay if adjusted to your liking, some my still want to upgrade with amps and speakers, but it is at least 65% better than the professional unit in my wife’s BMW 1 series….and to be honest lots of other cars I’ve driven.
My only grip is the difference in volume between the head unit with Radia and the levels from USB or Spotify, you need to crank up the volume for those….

Thanks, having a comparitor is helpful. Hopefully should be better than the quality of my previous Passat and my wife’s Seat Arona (which is not that bad for a basic set up).

Thanks, having a comparitor is helpful. Hopefully should be better than the quality of my previous Passat and my wife’s Seat Arona (which is not that bad for a basic set up).
It’s all a matter of personal choice, and I used to be very funny about the quality of my audio, both home and car..

As I said in my previous post it’s okay if adjusted to your liking, some my still want to upgrade with amps and speakers, but it is at least 65% better than the professional unit in my wife’s BMW 1 series….and to be honest lots of other cars I’ve driven.
My only grip is the difference in volume between the head unit with Radia and the levels from USB or Spotify, you need to crank up the volume for those….
The levels you talk about happens on most that I have had in the pasted, I think it each one has its own sound level and where it was set when switch off

I previously had two KIA Niros with JBL speaker systems which were excellent. The addition of a sub-woofer speaker in the boot gave much greater depth of tone. The MG system is adequate, especially after tweaking in EQ and Sound Stage, but lacks the sharpness and depth of the JBL experience. I don't think I will bother to add to or modify the system though.

Last edited:
Hi JABO,

Any updates on this?
Hi, sorry, i've been away for some time...

yes i finished the upgrade, with new speakers front and rear.
the fronts got clearer / more controlled, but bass wise it's a tie. in the rear the difference is much bigger, as the rear speakers are really bad.

i decided on HERTZ speakers after trying 4 brands.

it's possible to reuse the speaker chassis in all doors, with a little DIY craftmanship. the rears is a bit challenging, but clearly worth it.

original fronts is 6.5" and rears 5.25" , but they have made room for 6.5 in the rear, so i did that.

fronts is Hertz Cento CK165 , rears is Hertz Cento CX165

i also tried Hertz Dieci DSK 165.3 & Hertz Dieci DCX 165.3 which is fine as well, cheaper but still ok, just not as much control as the Cento.

i'm quite surprised with the onboard headunit amp, it's quite powerfull :)

MY MG HS PHEV came with a Bose 8.1 sound system as standard and it sounds great. The sub definitely helps to fill out the sound.

The blind spot warning light being built into the tweeter I thought was a bit strange.

20211022_012657990_iOS2.jpg

Bose 8.1.jpg

The UK really seems to have been short changed on the phev compared with other markets (especially Thailand).

No front sensors, no app and definitely no fancy Bose sound system.

Thanks MG UK! 😬

Perhaps Paul in Thailand can tell us if it's 'cheap' in the Thai market? I doubt MG falls into anything but the lower end of the price spectrum no matter where it's sold. So if they can do it in Thailand why not in the UK?

Perhaps Paul in Thailand can tell us if it's 'cheap' in the Thai market? I doubt MG falls into anything but the lower end of the price spectrum no matter where it's sold. So if they can do it in Thailand why not in the UK?

I paid ฿1,359,000 £29,602 €34,955 on the road for the Exclusive model (The only one available here)

Free MG HOME CHARGER with fitting
Free Maintenance costs for 5 years (parts and labour)
Free 1-year insurance; breakdown and road tax
Free Data sim card in the car and subscription to local online music service for 5 years

The cars sold here are made in Thailand

Sorry Paul, I didn't mean to pry into your finances! I was just interested to understand where the MG fitted into the hierarchy of brands in Thailand I.e. is it a budget brand over there or is it more middle of the road (excuse the pun).

Looking at the net, the cost of living in Thailand is about half the UK. From that, the phev in Thailand seems quite expensive as it's not much cheaper than the UK price. That might explain it being better equipped.

Interesting that your cars are also built locally. Anyway, thanks for replying. It's just me wondering why the UK version misses some nice features available elsewhere. I know we can't have the sim due to data security, but some of the other stuff is odd.

Sorry Paul, I didn't mean to pry into your finances! I was just interested to understand where the MG fitted into the hierarchy of brands in Thailand I.e. is it a budget brand over there or is it more middle of the road (excuse the pun).

Looking at the net, the cost of living in Thailand is about half the UK. From that, the phev in Thailand seems quite expensive as it's not much cheaper than the UK price. That might explain it being better equipped.

Interesting that your cars are also built locally. Anyway, thanks for replying. It's just me wondering why the UK version misses some nice features available elsewhere. I know we can't have the sim due to data security, but some of the other stuff is odd.
Hi
Your remark about the sim, my last car a Peugeot 308SW must have had a SIM card it as I could see data from the car and where it was parked. It also has the SOS and Peugeot assistance which was a phone call, this HS PHEV must have a sim to do the SOS, I do agree with you why are there things missing on this car in the UK which other make have in the UK.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom