Space Saver Wheel versus Full Size Spare?

bwanamdevu

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I really dislike the idea of being limited to a space saver wheel having grown up with full size spares. Over the course of about 54yrs driving around in many different cars had to use the spare on numerous occasions, especially when living in Africa where the roads tended to rip your tyres to shreds at times!

Been on the lookout for a full size one from an EV breakers or from drivers changing rims/tyres but no luck! Eventually bought a genuine new rim for a MG5 from Xactalloys for £109 and now going to fit a Bridgestone Ecopia, like the one on my MG5 already, for £88 from Halfords. Total price £197! A lot less than the price of an MG space saver wheel and a darn sight more versatile! It will fit into my LR MG with the boot floor raised to the higher level.

Not bought the tyre yet but anyone got any thoughts on this Ecopia tyre versus maybe the Turanza? Maybe a completely different tyre? Your thoughts please.

Last edited:
I wanted a full size spare but couldn't find one at the time so went for the VW as it came with a jack and bit for £35.
In the past I bought full size spares for both my Octavia and Fabia both with tyres for about £50.

Hi
I swapped my alloys for aftermarket ones
Bought a nearly new tyre from eBay and put it on an Mg5 alloy sold the rest
It fits in the boot lovely with the boot floor in the highest position (Mg5 lr))
B040D760-1172-4DC0-B372-30BC873C3BA6.jpeg
C168EB92-E3A2-4BD7-BE73-83B83CB2886A.png
A9A03C5F-5334-49CF-A233-3708397246F1.jpeg

😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I have a full size spare rim same as above but haven't fitted a tyre yet.
I've been keeping an eye open for an OEM tyre locally but no luck yet.

How much did it cost you to get the tyre put on the rim? Did you have it done at a national chain of tyre people?
Hi
I got it done for free when I had my tyres swapped onto my new alloys
But it also helps when you have known the tyre fitter for more than 20 years 😂
But he normally does tyre swaps for me cheap anyway
I don’t know what the going rate is
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I have a full size spare rim same as above but haven't fitted a tyre yet.
I've been keeping an eye open for an OEM tyre locally but no luck yet.

Hi
The one I have is a 205/50/16 not a 205/60/16 but it’s only a spare and better than a space saver any day
Just keep an eye out on eBay that’s all I did
It came on an Audi steel wheel delivered for £30
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Although the full size wheel doesn't sit central make sure you bolt it down.

I have seen the effect of a loose spare in a car in a rollover and it's not pretty.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom