• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Spare bulb kit

lebelinconnu

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have read that I have to carry a spare bulb kit to drive in France. Could someone let me know if a standard spare bulb kit is suitable for the MG5? Many thanks.

As long as it has the correct main beam bulb type, an HB3. Search on here about how to change them, Les Flics can insist that you change a failed one at the side of the road

I have read that I have to carry a spare bulb kit to drive in France. Could someone let me know if a standard spare bulb kit is suitable for the MG5? Many thanks.
From The RAC website ....

You are required by law to carry the following items in France:

• Reflective jackets – One for each occupant, these must be kept inside the vehicle within easy reach
  • Warning triangle – Compulsory in every vehicle with four wheels or more
  • Headlamp beam deflectors – Depending on your car, you will either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually
  • Breathalyser/alcohol test – As of January 2013 the French government announced that the introduction of an €11 fine for not carrying one had been postponed indefinitely. However, law still states that drivers and motorcyclists must have an alcotest ready for use in their vehicle even though no penalty will be imposed if they cannot present one during a police road check
  • Spare bulbs – It is recommended but not mandatory that you carry a spare bulb kit for your vehicle
  • Snow chains – May also be needed in some areas during winter. These areas will be indicated by signs and are compulsory, so it is worth having them in your car if you’re visiting during winter

Last edited:
Breathalyser is not required in France It was a strange law given the fact you had to buy a specific approved brand. The company providing them couldn't keep up with demand hence the fact that it could never be enforced. Irrespective the law has now been scrapped.

As for spare bulb kit....I can't imagine that is ever enforced given most people don't know how to change their bulbs. I bought some more powerful spares ready for a swap before winter.

HI vi's jacket is just good to have in the car irrespective of country.

IIf you don't have a UK logo number plate there are some neat stickers on ebay. Make it look like a proper job rather than putting a giant uk sticker on the boot.

That's not all you've got to carry in France, I would check on a EU motoring site.

Breathalyser is not required in France It was a strange law given the fact you had to buy a specific approved brand. The company providing them couldn't keep up with demand hence the fact that it could never be enforced. Irrespective the law has now been scrapped.

As for spare bulb kit....I can't imagine that is ever enforced given most people don't know how to change their bulbs. I bought some more powerful spares ready for a swap before winter.

HI vi's jacket is just good to have in the car irrespective of country.

IIf you don't have a UK logo number plate there are some neat stickers on ebay. Make it look like a proper job rather than putting a giant uk sticker on the boot.
Not sure the breathalyser law has been scrapped, just not enforced as in post #4

Many thanks for all the replies- I have breathalysers, hi viz vests, spare bulbs, first aid kit, warning triangle, headlamp beam deflectors, UK sticker and 10mm spanner. Oh, and also driving licence, log book and insurance certificate. Have hopefully covered all the bases!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom