Spare Parts

Dick Wolff

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
An unfortunate minor accident necessitates a replacement rear offside reflector unit + trim. The body repair shop is ready and waiting to fix it and trying to get the part via the local dealership. Neither are getting anything back from MG and it's been two months now. This is not good -- if you're going to sell a car you have to have the after-sales back-up. What would I have done if the damage had been sufficient to make the car undriveable (e.g. the rear light assembly was unserviceable)? I'd have been off the road for two months.

You are not alone, though it will be no consolation. My next door neighbour took her VW Up for an mot at a VW dealership. It failed as the rear fog light didn't work, it needs a new unit. She can't drive it without an MOT, so it's still at the garage. 12 weeks tomorrow and counting. They've told her the part has to come from Ukraine.

This forum has covered this very subject a number of times unfortunately.
Anything that is on "Back Order" effectively means it is coming from China !.
Wait times can be as short as a week or even several months believe it or not.
Once the dealer places the order for parts, they have no means of tracking the progress of that order.
They can ask for a predicted ETA but this date can be very fluid.
Given the volume of cars MG are now selling in the UK the back up systems on the procurement of spare parts, is woeful TBH.
We waited about 4 weeks for £160.00 worth of parts to arrive, in order to carry out a one hour repair on the handbrake fault in our ZS EV Gen1.
The loan car cost covered by MG must have been expensive.
I dread to think how long body panels would take to arrive in the case of an accident.
Dealers must be frustrated on wait times on spare parts also.
One reason given by car insurance companies, for the large increase in premiums this year, is supply shortages and wait times on spare parts.

Interesting that MG provided a loan car, and a bit of a relief to hear it. Fortunately ours is still driveable.

An unfortunate minor accident necessitates a replacement rear offside reflector unit + trim. The body repair shop is ready and waiting to fix it and trying to get the part via the local dealership. Neither are getting anything back from MG and it's been two months now. This is not good -- if you're going to sell a car you have to have the after-sales back-up. What would I have done if the damage had been sufficient to make the car undriveable (e.g. the rear light assembly was unserviceable)? I'd have been off the road for two months.
Have you tried ebay. Maybe help maybe not. Also online breakers.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This forum has covered this very subject a number of times unfortunately.
Anything that is on "Back Order" effectively means it is coming from China !.
Wait times can be as short as a week or even several months believe it or not.
Once the dealer places the order for parts, they have no means of tracking the progress of that order.
They can ask for a predicted ETA but this date can be very fluid.
Given the volume of cars MG are now selling in the UK the back up systems on the procurement of spare parts, is woeful TBH.
We waited about 4 weeks for £160.00 worth of parts to arrive, in order to carry out a one hour repair on the handbrake fault in our ZS EV Gen1.
The loan car cost covered by MG must have been expensive.
I dread to think how long body panels would take to arrive in the case of an accident.
Dealers must be frustrated on wait times on spare parts also.
One reason given by car insurance companies, for the large increase in premiums this year, is supply shortages and wait times on spare parts.
Probably explains why in some places there's a massive rise of cars being stripped of parts, stolen to order basically.

Probably explains why in some places there's a massive rise of cars being stripped of parts, stolen to order basically.
It was reported on the TV yesterday, that the Ford Fiesta ( which they have stopped producing ) has seen a huge increase in them being stolen.
As a result, premiums have now rocketed in price.
Insurance companies today, appear all too egger to simply write off cars, with what appears to be very minimal damage in a lot of cases.
Then they are sold off in big numbers through Co Part etc.

EV Breakers does not ship anywhere except Ireland and UK.
I'm in Germany and desperately looking for a right side backdoor which
some careless person backed into!

I contacted them and they said they CAN ship to Germany but the repair garage says they can’t buy from EBay (where their parts are online) for insurance reasons. (Umph)

Cleverly Autos will fit it for you & accept delivery of said item. Nice place Cheltenham!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom