Spare Wheel in Australia

KlinkPC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I was unable to get hold of a space saver kit in Australia. To buy the UK kit via eBay involved very high shipping expenses, so in the end I had to buy a rim from MG in Australia for $AUS446. I put on a cheapish Maxxis tyre ($119.00) and added a scissor jack and wheel brace for $55.00. All of this fits comfortably in the wheel well and there is still room for a type two cable and two chargers. So for just over $600 I guess this is the best I could come up with:
Spare Wheel.jpg

I was unable to get hold of a space saver kit in Australia. To buy the UK kit via eBay involved very high shipping expenses, so in the end I had to buy a rim from MG in Australia for $AUS446. I put on a cheapish Maxxis tyre ($119.00) and added a scissor jack and wheel brace for $55.00. All of this fits comfortably in the wheel well and there is still room for a type two cable and two chargers. So for just over $600 I guess this is the best I could come up with:View attachment 2634
Very expensive for the possibility it may not, hopefully will not, be needed.

In Australia you don't want to be 200km. from a decent sized town and get an unrepairable puncture. I got a puncture here in Perth recently and couldn't find anywhere that could even look at it for a few days. In the end I found it was damaged by a house key and had to replace it with a new tyre.

my question is, how to put the full size wheel in to the space, i think IT is too small to fit the wheel
It is too shallow to fit flush but I think it should fit ok under the floor if you put the boot floor up on the second level.

my question is, how to put the full size wheel in to the space, i think IT is too small to fit the wheel
It fits quite easily along with the scissor jack, the wheel brace and several cables and chargers. Raising the boot cover doesn't cost you very much space.

It fits quite easily along with the scissor jack, the wheel brace and several cables and chargers. Raising the boot cover doesn't cost you very much space.
My boot floor has always been on the second level because I have both the space saver spare and the repair gunk still sat in there. Spare wheel on the bottom face down, Gunk kit on top of that and the jack and wheel brace (in it's own foam) fits nicely in the big square hole in the gunk kit foam, Granny etc sat alongside.

Yes; I have had multiple people confirm the HS model wheel fits the ZS EV but not the petrol ZS wheel.
My understanding is that the petrol ZS has wheel pattern 5x105 (PCD = 105 mm), bore 56.6 mm.
The ZS and HS have wheel pattern 5x112 (PCD = 112 mm), bore 57.1 mm.
The offset may be 41 mm; the bolts may be M12 x 1.25. There may be a difference in the bolts (round versus conical), I don't know which models have which, and so whether I'll need a set of bolts as well, if I get a HS rim and spare space saver tyre.

I rang Motorama MG in Brisbane Australia today (07 3426 7488 4 or possibly 3246 7372 direct); they say that the HS rim (no tyre) is AU$130 and in stock in Sydney. He's looking into the toolkit and will get back to me. The toolkit is a nice-to-have; it will look the neatest. But I can make my own block of foam and buy a jack and wheel brace if needed, and hopefully get a space-saver tyre from any tyre place. On my ZS EV's VIN sticker, it says that the spare tyre ("if needed"), will be a T125/90 R16 98M. I should check a HS to make sure that they specify the same tyre.

Edit: the first thing the parts guy asked me for is the VIN number or rego number of my car. When I said I wanted something that probably has to be ordered as a spare for a HS, he asked for a HS rego number. So you should have one handy; perhaps visit your local MG dealer and write one down. That's what I should have done, if I was wise :unsure::oops:

Last edited:
I should check a HS to make sure that they specify the same tyre.
Arrgh! It turns out that the demonstrator I thought was a HS was in fact a petrol ZS. So I must have suffered from confirmation bias when I decided that the spare tyre from that "HS" would fit a ZS EV. In my weak defence, holding the spare next to the wheel of a vehicle, it's hard to judge whether they line up, because one has a tyre under load, and the other has 420 kPa in it (hard as a rock).

Worse, the salesperson tells me that there are 8 (eight) versions of the HS! Some have 18" wheels, others 17" wheels. The different sized wheels have the same pattern of alloy wheels, and 18:17 is only 1.059:1. So I have no idea which if any versions of the HS are compatible with the ZS EV.

The HS PHEV have no spare tyre, and come with the same 8 A EVSE (in Australia) that we get in the ZS EV.

Fortunately, the Chinese are known for their meticulous documentation of their various products, so I'll have no trouble sorting this out. Oh, wait, the other thing... o_O

The spares I saw in HS models were T125/80 R17 99M. The ones with 17" wheels had 215/60 R17 tyres, which are a little taller than the 215/50 R17 tyres found on Australian ZS EVs. So that indicates to me that even the spares for the 17" HS would be too big. We could possibly get a space saver with a lower profile, to better match our tyre diameters. And my ZE EV tells me that the spare tyre size "if required" is T125/90 R16.

Wheels!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Arrgh! It turns out that the demonstrator I thought was a HS was in fact a petrol ZS. So I must have suffered from confirmation bias when I decided that the spare tyre from that "HS" would fit a ZS EV. In my weak defence, holding the spare next to the wheel of a vehicle, it's hard to judge whether they line up, because one has a tyre under load, and the other has 420 kPa in it (hard as a rock).

Worse, the salesperson tells me that there are 8 (eight) versions of the HS! Some have 18" wheels, others 17" wheels. The different sized wheels have the same pattern of alloy wheels, and 18:17 is only 1.059:1. So I have no idea which if any versions of the HS are compatible with the ZS EV.

The HS PHEV have no spare tyre, and come with the same 8 A EVSE (in Australia) that we get in the ZS EV.

Fortunately, the Chinese are known for their meticulous documentation of their various products, so I'll have no trouble sorting this out. Oh, wait, the other thing... o_O

The spares I saw in HS models were T125/80 R17 99M. The ones with 17" wheels had 215/60 R17 tyres, which are a little taller than the 215/50 R17 tyres found on Australian ZS EVs. So that indicates to me that even the spares for the 17" HS would be too big. We could possibly get a space saver with a lower profile, to better match our tyre diameters. And my ZE EV tells me that the spare tyre size "if required" is T125/90 R16.

Wheels!

giphy.gif
I had some confusion with my MG5 EV's spare and after lots of reading and confirmation from MG UK aftersales, it's my understanding that the MG ZS EV has the same spare wheel as the GS, HS, MG5 EV but not the petrol ZS.

People have also successfully fitted a spare for a MK5 Golf.

The spare wheel is the same even though the alloy sizes differ.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom