Speed information warning on dash board

Jto

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hello
You know the speed indicator on the dashboard flashes when you go over 60 mph and can be annoying when travelling.

I know how to turn this off now.

1 click car on info screen should come into Driving assistance.

2 set speed assist system to manual.

3 speed information warning then set to off and on the dash board the speed information circle will now go out.

Must be done in the order above or the speed information warning will go back to on if manual is not light up.

This is on the HSPHEV but will be the same on other models that have it.

Last edited:
IIRC, on the ZS it will revert back to ON next time you start up so you have to turn it off every journey.

I only found this today sitting and having a coffee so tomorrow when I go to work will see if it’s still off. I do know if not done the correct way it will revert to back on when I was messing around, it’s just annoying it flashes when over 60 mph at leat I can now stop that.

You can also disable the warning by holding down the OK button on the steering wheel until the speed sign disappears, as mentioned above if you turn it off in settings, it turns back on when you restart the car.

In NZ (not sure about the UK) - the car will not detect the 'National speed limit applies sign' ( // )

...so just complains the entire journey that you are breaking the speed limit that you 'were' in....so annoying!

In NZ (not sure about the UK) - the car will not detect the 'National speed limit applies sign' ( // )

...so just complains the entire journey that you are breaking the speed limit that you 'were' in....so annoying!
in the UK it detects the national speed limit signs, but the speed it uses is 60mph, so on a motorway that is national speed limit, but 70 mph you get a flashing speed limit sign! Annoying that you can't adjust it to 70mph

in the UK it detects the national speed limit signs, but the speed it uses is 60mph, so on a motorway that is national speed limit, but 70 mph you get a flashing speed limit sign! Annoying that you can't adjust it to 70mph
Is that because it can't tell the difference between 60mph national speed limit roads and 70mph national speed limit roads?

Shame it doesn't link up with GPS like the Vauxhall I'm currently driving, it adjusts the national depending on the road you're on. It also relays other road signs onto the dashboard display, which is ok but I find less useful as I'm usually looking at the road 😂

Is that because it can't tell the difference between 60mph national speed limit roads and 70mph national speed limit roads?

Shame it doesn't link up with GPS like the Vauxhall I'm currently driving, it adjusts the national depending on the road you're on. It also relays other road signs onto the dashboard display, which is ok but I find less useful as I'm usually looking at the road 😂
It has the same sign, which is a white sign with the black line diagonally through it, so the limit should really be 70 so it covers both. The sat nav in gen1 ZS EV isn't online so probably doesn't have the speed limit on it, and if it did it might not be current, so that is probably why it doesn't link to that, though in the new ZS, it might use the nav as its online (if you have Trophy Connect)
Highway_Code_Road_Signs_National_Speed_Limit_Applies.jpg

It has the same sign, which is a white sign with the black line diagonally through it, so the limit should really be 70 so it covers both. The sat nav in gen1 ZS EV isn't online so probably doesn't have the speed limit on it, and if it did it might not be current, so that is probably why it doesn't link to that, though in the new ZS, it might use the nav as its online (if you have Trophy Connect)
View attachment 5690
I doubt the legal team would have that, they probably enforced the 60 to stop people trying to sue MG for speeding fines, even though their T&C's cover it.

Hello
I have found how to change the speed info to stop it flashing over 60 mph in the HS and would think if you have this in the ZS would be some steps like this.

1 Turn car on to ready.
2 On the info screen press car to bring up a screen with two adjustments you can do.
3 On the second line which say speed asst with off manual intelligence you press manual.
4 You will set on the instrument screen at bottom left in yellow a small speed dial and next to the speed circle MPH with broken line above.
5 Now using the cruise control stick push up a number of times and watch the MPH next to the circle increase in MPH ( DO NOT PULL THE TOWARDS YOU LIKE SETTING A CRUISE SPEED )
6 When you get to 70 you press the set button at the end of the stick, the yellow small dial will turn green, this has now set the speed to you setting and you will now find it will not flash over 60, I tried it after doing the above and no flashing.

please remember if you go on to a single carriage way which is 60 MPH speed limit with the national speed limit sign white circle with black line and this will be the same on the dash board which is the national speed limit for this type of road.
If the road has the sign that has 60 in red on white and red border the camera sees a 60 MPH sign then the dashboard will show 60 in the circle. This will be roads with street lights
please do not get caught out for speeding.

My issue is that if the car doesn't understand the national speed limits applies sign, it just remembers the previous speed and complains the entire time until the camera spots something is does understand. In NZ that sign means you can do 100KPH, anything else is signed to state the speed that applies - 60/50/30 etc.

...Just a case of software 'dumped' and poorly executed in the country it's sold in.

If you could just disable the system, I'd be happy with that - currently is re-enables when you start the car from cold.

I doubt the legal team would have that, they probably enforced the 60 to stop people trying to sue MG for speeding fines, even though their T&C's cover it.
It’s the driver responsibility not to go over the speed limit for the road and understand which limit is for your vehicle on the type you are driving on.
Example is van on a motorway is 70 MPH maximum speed limit, van on a A Dual carriage way 60 MPH and on single is 50 MPH, if you travel faster than that it’s you not a car maker..

It’s the driver responsibility not to go over the speed limit for the road and understand which limit is for your vehicle on the type you are driving on.
Example is van on a motorway is 70 MPH maximum speed limit, van on a A Dual carriage way 60 MPH and on single is 50 MPH, if you travel faster than that it’s you not a car maker..
I know that 😂

You'd be surprised what people try on though... someone tried to sue our company after loosing their licence whilst driving a van limited to 70 on a dual carriageway (van limit 60). The fact they had 9 (undeclared) points before they joined only a few weeks prior was, of course, also our fault. 🤦🏻

Do you ask your drivers every year to do a license checker code to check they have no points, I would have through you insurance company would ask for this to be done on new and existing drivers. I had to do it for my last two company’s.

Do you ask your drivers every year to do a license checker code to check they have no points, I would have through you insurance company would ask for this to be done on new and existing drivers. I had to do it for my last two company’s.
We do now! Well it's all automated these days, we get notified automatically if they get points or motoring related offences.

This was years ago before the licences could be checked online...

I have been reading this post with interest as this is something that I have had problems with. I do not use the manual or intelligent speed setting systems just the adaptive cruise control which I really like. I find the problem with the national speed limit sign flashing at you when you do 70mph on a duel carriage way or motor way really annoying. So I have turned the system off following the suggestions here. Even so after a few days and with out any warning the system turns on again and I have to reset! Is this really what should happen?

This seems to be a common theme with some of the electronics on the MG. Some things like the KERs and drive mode need resetting to your liking every journey - which is fine. But others like the lane assist and auto hold seem to turn off as they please with no real consistency or rationale - unless someone can point out what I am doing wrong? By the way I am driving and MG5LR and have not started another thread in that forum.

My guess is that these issues can be fixed for the price of a new car, namely buying the new version of the ZS EV - I doubt very much that any more updates will come to this generation. (waiting with baited breath)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom