Speed limit detection - Not accurate in Ireland - There a setting for this?

jared

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I find the speed limit detection system works reasonably well in the UK but recently took the car to the Republic of Ireland and it consistantly refused to read the signs correctly. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I had already changed the "units" in the car to km so it wasn't that. Most of the speed signs were smaller than in the UK so is there a setting to change the country of the dectection system or something?

I live in Ireland with an MG5 LR. The speed limit detection system doesn't work properly, most notably on the motorways which constantly says the speed limit is '70' instead of 120 km/hr (70mph being the UK motorway limit). I suspect the engineers missed this bit when they were setting up the software for Ireland. Other than turning it off, I'm not aware of anyway to alter it.

Apparently, MG Ireland are aware of it but I doubt anything will change. After six months with the MG5, I just ignore it.

I've also noticed that in the UK the recognition doesn't work with 20 signs which is a pain given half the roads around me are 20s.

I live in Ireland with an MG5 LR. The speed limit detection system doesn't work properly, most notably on the motorways which constantly says the speed limit is '70' instead of 120 km/hr (70mph being the UK motorway limit). I suspect the engineers missed this bit when they were setting up the software for Ireland. Other than turning it off, I'm not aware of anyway to alter it.

Apparently, MG Ireland are aware of it but I doubt anything will change. After six months with the MG5, I just ignore it.

Glad to see it wasn't just me then! For a couple of days it wasn't a big issue but for locals you must be wondering why you're not getting any love from MG :cry:

It's probably too small a market for their engineers to correct the software? Ireland and the UK share a distinct MG5 model from the rest of Europe, I believe. And the population of Ireland is roughly the same as Greater Manchester. So they probably wouldn't rewrite the UK software either if the Manchester speed limits were wrong?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom