Speed warning signs ZS EV

Radders

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Last few weeks the speed indicator sign ( white/red/ black circle) is showing spurious speeds, ie 40 on a motorway or 70 on a high street. This can last several miles. Particularly worrying when indicating 40 in a 30 zone. It seems to right itself when passing a roadside speed sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week I had the national speed limit sign on the dash flashing at me all the way down the motorway because I was doing more than 60 mph! The programming is very inferior.

I have found the car doesn’t always pick up the signs.
I find mine (ZS EV Mk 1, Australian) is about 98% accurate, and I find it's much better at noticing the signs than I am. I suspect Australia's signs are closer to Chinese or German signs (the sign recognition is likely a Bosch computer) than some UK signs.

Last few weeks the speed indicator sign ( white/red/ black circle) is showing spurious speeds
The recognition is via the camera on the windscreen. Windscreens can get dirty, streaks left behind, etc. and this can affect the speed sign recognition.

I've heard that you can just clean the area in front of the camera on the windscreen carefully and restore performance. The camera is small, so a small piece of dirt can affect a large area of the camera's vision. It may be that RainX or similar (supposed to repel water beads) could help. I've never had the problem myself, but here in sunny Queensland, we don't get road salt or many days with rain.

In fact, we're headed into a El Nino season, and our problem is that our water tanks run empty. Can I get a bit of sympathy from you Brits with all your regular rain? 😁 (Ducks)

The recognition is via the camera on the windscreen. Windscreens can get dirty, streaks left behind, etc. and this can affect the speed sign recognition.

I've heard that you can just clean the area in front of the camera on the windscreen carefully and restore performance. The camera is small, so a small piece of dirt can affect a large area of the camera's vision. It may be that RainX or similar (supposed to repel water beads) could help. I've never had the problem myself, but here in sunny Queensland, we don't get road salt or many days with rain.

In fact, we're headed into a El Nino season, and our problem is that our water tanks run empty. Can I get a bit of sympathy from you Brits with all your regular rain? 😁 (Ducks)
On this occasion it had recognised the sign, but didn't seem to know that the national speed limit on a dual carriageway and motorway is 70, not 60. Very poor implementation.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom