Squeaky dashboard.

Kieron101

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi, I’ve never been able to cope with squeaks and rattles in cars and in electric cars they’re even more noticeable. I’m hearing a noise like the dash rubbing on the windscreen. Does anyone else have that noise? Should I pop it to the dealer, or should I just turn up the radio?
Cheers. K.

I noticed a squeak from the RHS of the dash whilst going over bumps but it was intermittent.

Hi, I’ve never been able to cope with squeaks and rattles in cars and in electric cars they’re even more noticeable. I’m hearing a noise like the dash rubbing on the windscreen. Does anyone else have that noise? Should I pop it to the dealer, or should I just turn up the radio?
Cheers. K.
Spray teflon spray between the windshield And windshieldcover. That's al

Cheers. K.
Hi @Kieron101 .
Sounds like you have the common windscreen "Cracking / Creaking Noise" that some other owners ( including myself ) have witnessed.
Does it sound like the front of the dash panel is "Rubbing" on the inside of the front windscreen ?.
If so, you will find it is much louder and annoying when the weather is really cold, but the creaking can be heard as the car moves over rough covered tarmac.
If this is a "Tick In The Box" for your car, it is likely to be the cause.
Go outside of the car, look at the bottom of front wind screen glass.
There is a black plastic scuttle panel that stretches from one side of the car to the other.
You can see where the two wiper arms pass through this plastic panel.
See it !.
Right, now look where that plastic panel meets the front wind screen glass.
Can you now see a black rubber / plastic type gasket seal that bridges the gap between the edge of the scuttle panel and the glass ?.
BINGO - That is the cause of your creaking noise in the car.
As the body flexes, the plastic / rubber gasket is the problem.
Your next quest is :-
"How do I fix it then".
Here are your options, take it back to the dealer of course.
The second option is a quicker fix, if you feel okay with it ?.
You need to get some type of lubricate behind that seal to reduce the friction / foul condition between glass and gasket.
You need to create a small gap in order to use the nozzle from a spray can of anti friction lubricate in there.
WD40 will work, but only for a couple of days.
A silicone spray or a dry spray lub should do the job.
WD make a can of white lithium spray that is a pretty good fix ( ask me how I know ).
You need to get that nozzle behind the gasket and go right across from one side to the other, no gaps !.
To help getting the spray can nozzle behind the gasket, use either a plastic trim tool or an old plastic membership / bank card.
DO NOT USE ANYTHING METAL LIKE A SCREW DRIVER PLEASE !.
you will know straight away if it has worked when you take the car out next time.
Is there a better long term fix ?.
Yeah - I do think there is to be honest.
But this involves a lot more work.
Very briefly, it goes like this :-
Remove the wiper arms, remove the rubber bonnet seal, remove all of the trim clips and fasteners that secure the scuttle panel.
With the scuttle panel completely removed from the car, clean and install a strip of silent tape right across the windscreen gasket.
Refit the scuttle and your done for a long term fix I think.
The spray method works about 99% effectively, but you may need to repeat the process again is the lub drys out !.
Good luck !.

Hi @Kieron101 .
Sounds like you have the common windscreen "Cracking / Creaking Noise" that some other owners ( including myself ) have witnessed.
Does it sound like the front of the dash panel is "Rubbing" on the inside of the front windscreen ?.
If so, you will find it is much louder and annoying when the weather is really cold, but the creaking can be heard as the car moves over rough covered tarmac.
There is a black plastic scuttle panel that stretches from one side of the car to the other.
See it !.
Can you now see a black rubber / plastic type gasket seal that bridges the gap between the edge of the scuttle panel and the glass ?.
"How do I fix it then".
You need to get some type of lubricate behind that seal to reduce the friction / foul condition between glass and gasket.
You need to create a small gap in order to use the nozzle from a spray can of anti friction lubricate in there.
WD make a can of white lithium spray that is a pretty good fix ( ask me how I know ).
You need to get that nozzle behind the gasket and go right across from one side to the other, no gaps !.
To help getting the spray can nozzle behind the gasket, use either a plastic trim tool or an old plastic membership / bank card.
you will know straight away if it has worked when you take the car out next time.
Remove the wiper arms, remove the rubber bonnet seal, remove all of the trim clips and fasteners that secure the scuttle panel.
With the scuttle panel completely removed from the car, clean and install a strip of silent tape right across the windscreen gasket.
The spray method works about 99% effectively, but you may need to repeat the process again is the lub drys out !.
Good luck !.
Thanks so much for such a detailed response! I’ll have a go at the 2nd option in the next couple of days, I’ll let you know how it goes. 👍🏻👍🏻

Hi @Kieron101 .
See it !.
"How do I fix it then".
Good luck !.

Yes it does!

My advice......Don't just "spray" it in between the dash and the windshield.....certainly not with WD40 or Teflon spray....it will leave a nasty residue on the inner side of your windshield..... Perhaps use a small thin paint spatula ( do t know how you call it , you remove wallpaper with it) put a rag over it and only spray the edge of the rag with the spray....then just go in between the dash and the windshield, avoiding your windshield offcourse

My advice......Don't just "spray" it in between the dash and the windshield.....certainly not with WD40 or Teflon spray....it will leave a nasty residue on the inner side of your windshield..... Perhaps use a small thin paint spatula ( do t know how you call it , you remove wallpaper with it) put a rag over it and only spray the edge of the rag with the spray....then just go in between the dash and the windshield, avoiding your windshield offcourse

Lovemyev is saying the spray goes on the outside of the car, not the inside. I’ve had a quick look and it makes sense. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Good tip about using the plastic spatula, remember we are spraying the lub behind the rubber gasket and the glass while standing on the OUTSIDE of the car, not on the inside of the cabin !.
To to avoid any confusion here folks.
The noise sounds like it is dash rubbing against the inside of the glass, but it is caused by the tight rubber / hard plastic seal moving and creaking against the glass.
If anybody would like to confirm my theory and completely remove the scuttle assembly, and remove the gasket, then test drive the car to categorically confirm the problem them please by all means do so.
I take no credit for being the first person to track down this strange noise on the car.
Another member located the problem about 12 months ago and kindly posted his thoughts on the subject.
The noise was driving him mad !.
I had spotted the same issue on my car and decided to follow down the same path as the other owner.
You can hear the difference straight away.
Does using the spray provide a 100% fix ?.
I would honestly say after about 10 months of applying the spray, I sometimes get a very small “Creak” briefly, but it has improved the situation no end !.
That is why I believe to get a 100% fix, the scuttle would need to be removed and some type of a barrier tape used between the glass and the gasket.
Some thing like a stick back Teflon tape, if there is such a thing ?.
I purchased a long length of “Silent” tape about six months ago, I do intend to install it at some time, but the “Quick Fix” has provided a stop gap for now.
I have had not so successful knee replacement that has prevented a lot of my car working activity.

I’m wonder if silicone grease would work, the stuff used for plastic push fit plumbing pipes.
Hi @Kieron101 .
You could try using silicon grease mate.
It’s just a bit fiddly to get it between the gasket and the glass.
Oh …… by careful not to get the grease close to your wiper blades or it will transfer to your windscreen !.
DON’T try lifting up your wiper arms with the bonnet closed and the arms in the park position or the arms will foul the bonnet and scratch the paint off the back edge of the bonnet !.
Other members have done this while drying down their cars after washing it !.
If you think that the wipers arms are likely to get in your way, put the wipers into the “Service” location before your start.
I guess you could gently easy back the gasket a bit of a time with a plastic card, then using a very small paint brush, apply the grease with that ????.
The nozzle on a spray can it just a bit easier to get in the void created by the plastic card etc.
Good luck 🤞

Looking at what you’ve written, I’ll go for the spray, if it re appears in the future, I might have a go with the grease. Thanks for the tip about the wipers though. I watched in horror once are a guy at a charity car wash forced my wiper arms against the bonnet, scratching the paint of when I had a Ford Mondeo. 😬

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom