Square number plate

MG5

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Wondering if anyone has put a square number plate on the rear? And what size square plate fits if so...
Holes in tailgate are pre drilled and clearly designed for a square plate which is why the long standard plates rub the edge of the MG5 badge.
Mine also has a black strip screwed over to cover what would be the bottom two holes, I don't like it 😁

Wondering if anyone has put a square number plate on the rear? And what size square plate fits if so...
Holes in tailgate are pre drilled and clearly designed for a square plate which is why the long standard plates rub the edge of the MG5 badge.
Mine also has a black strip screwed over to cover what would be the bottom two holes, I don't like it 😁
It's designed for the standard Chinese plate, you could fit a UK square plate, but it might look odd. Hold on and I'll knock you up a photoshop ;)

My dealer came up with this solution:
mg5plate.jpg

Standard uk square is a bit big then, thought it might be a quick improvement.
I've seen a few with frames around the plate, makes it cover the badge, I got screws which I know will rust in a month and a plastic strip.
Larger curved corners look like the best option, if I can be bothered!

The best solution I could find was the jag Xj v2 plate which looks like=

934E055E-BBC6-4409-B628-7BC85892EC37.jpeg

No rubbing of mg badge as reported above.
I just used the top 2 holes to mount it and used double sided sticky foam for the bottom.
The problem is the rivenuts ( threaded holes) that are used for a square plate are raised off the surface by a couple of millimetres which is a bit of a pain.

Last edited:
The standard UK number plate that my dealer put on practically touched the mg5 ev letters. I was expecting this because Robert Llewellyn said it in a review last year. I had some 18 inch plates made which, because of the green flash, they could only make with gel characters. Luckily the spaces between the characters lined up with the fixing holes. Looks good and mg5 ev letters stand out better now.

Attachments

• 20210904_121823.jpg
    20210904_121823.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 248
Ohh... very naughty dealer here, instead of using the factory threaded mounts, they've drilled through the tailgate steel and used self tappers, virtually guaranteeing future rusting!!! I'd have gone spare!
That's what I got, they did use the pre-drilled holes but with fat self tappers in them so ruined the threads🙄

That's what I got, they did use the pre-drilled holes but with fat self tappers in them so ruined the threads🙄
They used a yellow plastic screw with my plates. They fit the threads fine.

Knew I'd got the idea from somewhere but couldn't remember where!
Don't know what size plate this is our if it's legal spacing but there seems to be a lot of options...

That would be a nice option if it were legal, but this isn't. You can only use the motorcycle sized letter format on imports where the plate recess doesn't allow for a standard UK plate. You're very likely to get pulled by the police sooner rather than later, and the car will fail its first MOT, unless the tester is really lax.

That would be a nice option if it were legal, but this isn't. You can only use the motorcycle sized letter format on imports where the plate recess doesn't allow for a standard UK plate. You're very likely to get pulled by the police sooner rather than later, and the car will fail its first MOT, unless the tester is really lax.
I think the plate has to have the dealer or plate manufacturers name and a BS mark on it as well ?

DSC_0456~2.JPG
I just took the ugly plastic plate off, I might look at getting the tops colour matched (or close enough) soon

I'll probably try the jag xj option if I get bored enough! I just thought it was a bit weird how dealer had done it and I don't like the crap screws they used, and why don't I get a green stripe!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom