SR LFP Will It Overcharge??

SKA

Established Member
Reaction score
I have always been wondering and this had caught my eye when I have finished charging. Despite I am on 100%, (charging on a AC 7KW) , it does not stop the "supply" and still takes around 1.5kw of charge. (according to the app). I know this kind of battery is happy with 100% but I am not sure if the BMS actually stops the charging going into the battery and the 1.5kw is only feeding into the car electronics .. Will it ever be a case of overcharging it?

Thanks

SKA

I see it drops to 1.5kw when at 100% but what i mean is that if it is not charging , where does this 1.5kw power go??

Just before the battery SOH reaches 100% the amount of load feeding the car from your wall box, will have already started throttling back from the approx 7 Kw's.
At around 97% it will have already reduced to 3.5 Kw's, then when it reaches 100% it will commence the balance process.
It will reduce the power back again to around 500 Watts, then down to 300 Watts, then right back to around 175 Watts, just before it completes the balance cycle and then automatically returning the wall box to it's standby state.

Hi,

I've noticed with my SR version strange charging behaviour as mentioned. I've yet to see it balance charge like the LR version does.

It also often finishes a full charge then drops to 1.8kw on the charger app and stays there until the charge slot is complete and the charger turns off power. I suspect this power draw is battery heating.

Reason for this assumption is that the load is too big for the balance cycle. On the ismart app on the SR it says heating off.

However I noticed on the LR as it did the same the other day drawing around 1.8kw on the charger, battery 100% but heating on.

Pics attached, the LR only did this when I charged to 100% for a long trip, it's normally charged to 80%.

SR in for first service soon, will be asking dealer.

Power for balance charging normal but I would like the option to change if it heats after or not as this is waste of electricity if I'm not using the car straight away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230111-074836-345.png
    Screenshot_20230111-074836-345.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20230118-003034.png
    Screenshot_20230118-003034.png
    527.7 KB · Views: 65
It will do this 80% as well when it charged heater on 5 min or 10min when it's cold like a mini balance

I think the gen2 is better at balancing it trys and balance at the end of ever charge well my long range anyway
What is a mini balance?
Don't worry about it the car just does it's own thing if left plugged in the heater sometimes comes on at end of charge its doing 2 things warms the cells if needed and draws from the high cells this explains battery heater on but not drawing 3kw it's using the battery as well I have seen it do this at 80 and 90% depending on the set limit on the car

The simplified way to think about it is that batter composes of 100s of cells due to how batter works is that some cells discharge slightly faster than others so over time you end up with some cells at 100% some at 99% some at 97% etc

Batter balancing discharges the 100% cells to top up 97% cells to bring all cells to the same % before charging everything to 100% again too maximizer the range.

With out it moment any of cells hits 100% charge charging stops so balancing allows you to bring capacity to its original levels (minutes the housman batter wear and tear over time)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom