Standard range 100% long range 80%

billybonfire3

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen this in this forum a few times. Why is there a difference? So as I have a standard range new facelift trophy model I should charge to 100% ?

Charging to 80% is a guide for rapid chargers as over 80% the charge rate drops.
I go to about 90% at home on my EVSE as the kers3 can then add to the battery.
I do a balance charge once a month.
Keeping it at 100% is not good for the battery.

I've seen this in this forum a few times. Why is there a difference? So as I have a standard range new facelift trophy model I should charge to 100% ?
Yes the standard range has a different battery chemistry so is less energy dense however will happily sit at 100% charge unlike the long range which is more energy dense but not recommended to leave at high state of charge for extended periods.

This thread goes into some more details about the chemistries. The standard range has the LFP battery type.

If you're keeping the car for a long time and want to preserve the battery, it makes you wonder whether it's worth paying extra for the LR when you compare the WLTP ranges using the recommended charge levels.
LR charged up to 80%, 273 x 80% = 218 miles or SR charged up to 100%, 198 x 100% = 198.
Is 20 more usable miles worth £3k more ? 🤔

The extra range when you need it is there.

Fewer charging cycles also extends battery life.

Most of my mileage is in town near home and my MG5 EV SR is always charged to 100% at home and I never go lower that 30% to cover possible emergency need to use. When I do a longer trip I put a fair bit of time and effort into planning where I will stop with at least two backups for each planned stop. On these longer trips even another 50 miles range would not affect the number of stops I would have to plan. So I‘m with Kithmo‘s thinking on this. A model with 400 miles range would be great.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom