Start and Stop query 🤔

Joe McAndrew

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Can anyone help. It seems that 1 press of the start button switches on the auxiliary systems like the radio etc and a 2nd press starts everything, or 1 press on the start with the foot brake applied starts everything.

My query is when connecting mobile phones initially (set up bluetooth) I can only achieve this in the 1 press scenario without brake applied (probably for safety purposes, I.e. car not capable of moving) but it seems that there's no way to avoid having to press the start button again to fully start before pressing again to switch completely off before closing the door and looking up.

I have tried just closing the vehicle and locking the door but the horn beeps so that's not the solution.

I suppose in ICE terms this is being unable to just turn to Ignition 1 and then back off again without going to Ignition 2 in between and actually starting the car. Seems a bit bizarre or am I missing something?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I am sure mine works like that too.
It does connect to BT well most of the time.
I currently have a usb stick in the right hand usb socket just for music and that is great.

Am I missing something here, but why not just press the start button with your foot on the brake to begin with ?

Am I missing something here, but why not just press the start button with your foot on the brake to begin with ?
Because you cannot connect bluetooth devices in the ready state, only in that initial 1 press mode without the brake and the car full switching on. I want to know how you can get back to the car being fully off without having to go full ready so to speak?

Right - so you want to put the car into ACC mode, sort your phone out, then put it back to 'Off' without first having to go to ready?

I don't have my car yet, but scanning the manual (because that's the sort of sad person I am...) doesn't a press of the start stop button just cycle 'ACC' (some stuff works) - 'ON '(more stuff works) -OFF' if the brake isn't pressed, and goes to 'Ready' from any of those states only if you have pressed the foot brake?.

Are you saying it only goes as far as 'On' and doesn't cycle back round to 'OFF' at all unless it has been 'Ready' first? (Note that 'Ready and On both have the green light.

I guess, because it's not actually starting an ICE, the view is that it doesn't really matter that it's going through an 'On / Ready' state. Plus, you'll only be pairing your phone once.

I'm a little surprised that you can only pair when not in Ready though. If they were going to tie that to anything, I would have expected the requirement to be in 'Park'.

Right - so you want to put the car into ACC mode, sort your phone out, then put it back to 'Off' without first having to go to ready?

I don't have my car yet, but scanning the manual (because that's the sort of sad person I am...) doesn't a press of the start stop button just cycle 'ACC' (some stuff works) - 'ON '(more stuff works) -OFF' if the brake isn't pressed, and goes to 'Ready' from any of those states only if you have pressed the foot brake?.

Are you saying it only goes as far as 'On' and doesn't cycle back round to 'OFF' at all unless it has been 'Ready' first? (Note that 'Ready and On both have the green light.

I guess, because it's not actually starting an ICE, the view is that it doesn't really matter that it's going through an 'On / Ready' state. Plus, you'll only be pairing your phone once.

I'm a little surprised that you can only pair when not in Ready though. If they were going to tie that to anything, I would have expected the requirement to be in 'Park'.
That's a good and thoughtful reply. I may be wrong but my vehicle appears to go to ready (I think anyway 🙄) on the 2nd press. Certainly the display go through the full start up routine as if I only did a single press of the start and depressed the brake pedal. As I have not tried to immediately drive the car at that point and simply pressed it for the 3rd time to return to fully off it may be that I am confusing the 2nd press of the start button state with a single press and brake depressed state as both being 'READY' , and that if I tried to drive the car in the former state nothing would happen.

As for the bluetooth connection being set up, this I can only achieve in the single press state. In all attempts to date the car has been in Park mode. Perhaps the problem is peculiar to my car or even phone, who knows. I know my Android Auto will only start if the phone is connected after the car is started. If the phone is already cabled up at start there does not seem to be any communication between the phone and media unit.

Hmmm. I have no MG yet and an Iphone, so probably am completely unqualified to help!
however...
Have you tried this setting from another Android Auto thread?

It seems every day is a school day and I had assumed that the 2nd press had taken me to READY, when it had just fully turned on the car LESS the HV Battery. 🙄🤔😂

Thanks for those that assisted this idiot. Note to self ... 'Read the bloody instructions'

Because you cannot connect bluetooth devices in the ready state, only in that initial 1 press mode without the brake and the car full switching on. I want to know how you can get back to the car being fully off without having to go full ready so to speak?
Mine lets me set up and pair a new bluetooth connection to a phone in full ready mode and once set up it connects and pairs automatically every time I get in and turn the car on in ready mode.

I know my Android Auto will only start if the phone is connected after the car is started. If the phone is already cabled up at start there does not seem to be any communication between the phone and media unit.
FWIW, I had that same issue with AA in a Fiat 124 Spider, but I haven't tried AA in any of the cars I've had since. Maybe it's an Android "feature".

My Google Pixel 5 connects to the MG5 every time I start the car via an AAWireless unit; it's been a revelation and I absolutely love AA and Waze in particular.
Have you changed the stereo or is it a dongle?

Looking to get a MG5 this month and the one thing I know I'll miss is the wireless AA in my current car

I would also like some info on the dongle please? Make, model, how easy is it to set up etc, bearing in mind hat when it comes to anything techy I am near useless. Many thanks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom