Starting to lose a bit of faith

Keith Harris

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Had the charging problem the other day (see last post) now the infotainment system has decided to give me a blank screen. This is only the second long journey. Think it’s little bit expensive to just use at home! Have we been sold a pup ?

My screen went off a couple of times just after I got it, but hasn't happened for a few months now, so fingers crossed just settling itself down.

My screen went off a couple of times just after I got it, but hasn't happened for a few months now, so fingers crossed just settling itself down.
Thanks yes I hope so, and I do realise a lot of it could be pilot error, but not in this case I think. I really want to love the car as it’s fabulous on the move

Had the charging problem the other day (see last post) now the infotainment system has decided to give me a blank screen. This is only the second long journey. Think it’s little bit expensive to just use at home! Have we been sold a pup ?

My screen went blank a few weeks ago, it suddenly came back on again after a short time. It’s been fine since. I set off driving and it came back without me doing anything.

Yea it’s come back on by itself , but the 10 sec comment sounds good next time. Ah well teething probs let’s just hope it’s a pedigree pup!

I had a brand new Nissan a while ago, had some horrendous teething problem. It was all good in the end though 👍

I had a brand new Nissan a while ago, had some horrendous teething problem. It was all good in the end though 👍
Yea I came from an era where if it started on the dealers forecourt it was a result. We’ve got to used to things just working I guess.

As you are probably aware, the ZS EV suffers from the same issue with regards to the “Black Screen Of Death” 🤣.
Mine car did it on a fairly regular basis for the first few months I would say.
It is something that has reduced in frequency a LOT now.
The car is about 15 months old and I would say it has done it briefly, about twice now in the last 9 months.
Not completely shut down, but the screen just turns black for about 20 seconds and then it just returns back to the coloured Home Screen.
At first it would either, black screen and with the radio still playing, the screen would just return.
Or black screen, and not return, or it would completely fall on its arse and totally reboot all on its own !.
Once using the Sat Nav we lost the screen, but retained the directions from the Sat Nav !.
It has improved on its own.
Why, I have NO idea !.

A screen going black like this is, I’m guessing (as a former software developer) just a simple crash due to a bug (or several) which hasn’t been ironed out because it takes more time (I.e. money) to perform more tests on the software.
The more complicated the product, the more expensive the software development. And many of the software products I have used over the years have crashed. Including this iPhone X that I’m using to post this.
At some point, a company manufacturing anything running software will declare it ‘good enough’ and launch it.
The beauty of products that can take updates is that these issues can be fixed over time.
This is more difficult if the software developers don’t know when or why a bug happens. And unless there is a thorough diagnostics system built into the car which can send data back to the developers, this is not going to happen when your car screens go blank.

Last edited:
I have an 11 year old Ford with a touch screen that still does this occasionally so don't hold your breath :LOL:

A screen going black like this is, I’m guessing (as a former software developer) is just a simple crash due to a bug (or several) which hasn’t been ironed out because it takes more time (I.e. money) to perform more tests on the software.
The more complicated the product, the more expensive the software development. And many of the software products I have used over the years have crashed. Including this iPhone X that I’m using to post this.
At some point, a company manufacturing anything running software will declare it ‘good enough’ and launch it.
The beauty of products that can take updates is that these issues can be fixed over time.
This is more difficult if the software developers don’t know when or why a bug happens. And unless there is a thorough diagnostics system built into the car which can send data back to the developers, this is not going to happen when your car screens go blank.
Only done it once Stuart, been fine since.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom