Steering column bearing

lasilvietta

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Good evening everyone, I broke the lower bearing of the steering column of my MG ZS EV mk1. Can anyone tell me the size of the bearing? I have an appointment with the dealer in a month, but in the meantime I have to do something, otherwise it makes an absurd noise. Thank you very much

Attachments

• IMG_20221025_212252.jpg
    IMG_20221025_212252.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 162
Good evening everyone, I broke the lower bearing of the steering column of my MG ZS EV mk1. Can anyone tell me the size of the bearing? I have an appointment with the dealer in a month, but in the meantime I have to do something, otherwise it makes an absurd noise. Thank you very much
I am really curious to khow / why the steering column needle roller bearing has failed on your car ?.
In your post, you said that YOU “Broke” the lower steering column needle roller bearing ?.
Can you explain just how YOU managed to do this please ?.
We have seen lower steering column universal joints fail on the ZS EV, but not needle bearing failure.

I think I explained myself wrong, sorry. The bearing broke by itself, I found the parts under the steering, on the car mat.

Do you not have mg assist in Italy? As I would call them to pick up the car and take to dealer if car is broken its broken down and try and get courtesy car

It certainly looks like one of the bearing cups from the universal joint to me 🥲
did the fault just appear ? or have you had clicking coming from the steering Colum for a while,either way this is a very dangerous situation that MG need to be brought to account and have a recall to have descent quality units fitted,even back in the days when i started driving in the early 70's with old car i cant remember been like this,Thank god you weren't driving at the time..

did the fault just appear ? or have you had clicking coming from the steering Colum for a while,either way this is a very dangerous situation that MG need to be brought to account and have a recall to have descent quality units fitted,even back in the days when i started driving in the early 70's with old car i cant remember been like this,Thank god you weren't driving at the time..
Mk3 Cortinas were notorious for failing the MOT due to slight play in these steering joints.

"or have you had clicking coming from the steering Colum for a while"

this one. The steering started to rattle and then I found the bearing pieces. The dealership gave me an appointment on November 18 to assess the problem, in the meantime I am continuing to drive to work with the car. 😩

this one. The steering started to rattle and then I found the bearing pieces. The dealership gave me an appointment on November 18 to assess the problem, in the meantime I am continuing to drive to work with the car. 😩
If you found bearing peaces why not call MG assist /aa get them to tow car and get replacement this will Force the dealer to look at it
They give us mg assist for worry free motoring your obviously worried so use it

Last edited:

I understand it is difficult to be without your car, but honestly I would not be driving that car after finding failed parts of the UJ steering joint left on the carpet !.
If submitted for a MOT right now, it would be either be a instant fail or even worse a refusal to test.
Therefore deeming the car totally unroadworthy !.
If you had a brake fluid leak, would you still consider it safe to be driving the car ?.
Complete brake or steering failure is NOT what you want to be experiencing, especially as you are already aware that you have a steering problem.
Has the dealer actual seen either the car or in receipt of any photo evidence of the serious nature of your problem ?.
If so, I will be really surprised if they did not recommend that you stoped using the car as of now !.

Last edited:

If you found bearing peaces why not call MG assist /aa get them to tow car and get replacement this will Force the dealer to look at it
They give us mg assist for worry free motoring your obviously worried so use it
but I already have an appointment with the MG assistance workshop. They just haven't seated before 19 11, and can't order replacements until they've looked at the problem with their own eyes ... that's what they told me

Other owners have been awaiting steering column replacements for already, too long now !.
It will take them 60 seconds to look at that joint and render it unsafe ( or they should ).
I am pretty sure you will NOT be driving away in your car after that inspection appointment.
If they have any respect for both your safety and their public liability.

Where's it going in to?
I'm Gloucester based so it went into Baylis MG in Gloucester. They had the car for just the one day and the UJ was replaced, no more knocking coming from the steering, but you may see from another post of mine on the thread about crack-click from the car that it is going back in on the 13th December to address a metal on metal sound coming from the front end (likely brakes or steering rack)... Many problems at the moment I'm afraid.

I'm Gloucester based so it went into Baylis MG in Gloucester. They had the car for just the one day and the UJ was replaced, no more knocking coming from the steering, but you may see from another post of mine on the thread about crack-click from the car that it is going back in on the 13th December to address a metal on metal sound coming from the front end (likely brakes or steering rack)... Many problems at the moment I'm afraid.
May I ask was this done under warranty? My uj has failed too, dealership said warranty would cover if it was manufacturing fault, not wear and tear. I do not think it is wear and tear it has just failed. Thanks

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom