fishingfalcon

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi when I turn the steering wheel I occasionally get a click. Also if I put oressure on oneside or other of the steering wheel. Seems to come from the column near the steering wheel height adjustment. Is this normal ?

I have noticed this on our ZS too. However after 1st service it seems to be gone. Didn’t hear it or feel it when driving back. My partner isn’t aware of it when she’s driving. Maybe we’re just super sensitive beings. 😊

If it's from the top at the adjuster then do what I did and tighten the 13mm nyloc nut on the adjuster bar at the opposite end to adjuster clamp. I tightened mine up so I could barely unclamp the adjuster, that sorted mine.

I also have this - it’s seems to happen only at the 1oclock position during a right turn after a left turn eg. going around a roundabout. Will contact dealer.

If it's from the top at the adjuster then do what I did and tighten the 13mm nyloc nut on the adjuster bar at the opposite end to adjuster clamp. I tightened mine up so I could barely unclamp the adjuster, that sorted mine.
Is your column still rattle / knock free @Kithmo after all this time ?.
I do recall your post on tightening up the pinch clamp to cure the rattle on your steering column on your car.
It’s a while ago now for sure !!.
I seem to remember you tightened it slightly, but the rattle came back after a short time, but you nailed it second time by a little more tightened, am I correct ?.
I think you posted some very useful photos of how to remove the top steering column trim to expose the nylon nut that you check tightened ?.
Maybe worth a repost or provide a link please 🙏.

You don't mention which model: pre 21 Mk1 or 2022 facelift ... In my expereince, the Mk2 has a very different steering feel & so one assumes this has been 'facelifted' as well, whereas the MK1 - potentially problematic - feels far more direct, likely becuase of this mecanical shaft design (Bosch part) which feels as directly connected to the wheels; much more fun to drive.

In any case, yes, the steering wheel problem seems reasonably common on the Mk1 - from the more subtle clicking sound through to some where the collumn has literally fallen out on the floor at the driver's feet [!]

In any case, mine had the click & I simply took it back to my service centre & they adjusted & tightened up (all under warranty of course). Had never had a problem with it since then - although I did note that the service centre put in a note on my file that it 'could' be up for replacment under warranty if the issue persisted. It didn't.

You don't mention which model: pre 21 Mk1 or 2022 facelift ... In my expereince, the Mk2 has a very different steering feel & so one assumes this has been 'facelifted' as well, whereas the MK1 - potentially problematic - feels far more direct, likely becuase of this mecanical shaft design (Bosch part) which feels as directly connected to the wheels; much more fun to drive.

In any case, yes, the steering wheel problem seems reasonably common on the Mk1 - from the more subtle clicking sound through to some where the collumn has literally fallen out on the floor at the driver's feet [!]

In any case, mine had the click & I simply took it back to my service centre & they adjusted & tightened up (all under warranty of course). Had never had a problem with it since then - although I did note that the service centre put in a note on my file that it 'could' be up for replacment under warranty if the issue persisted. It didn't.
I am not 100% sure here, but I am of the understanding that the Gen1 and the Gen2 models is using the same Bosch system.
The UJ set up on the lower section of the steering column is the same set up.
It maybe from a different supplier but its design is still the same I believe.
There appears to be two different complaints here from owners.
We have the knocking / rattling noise felt at the steering wheel and a complaint of feeling a vagueness / steering wander at the steering wheel.
Some cars have suffered catastrophic UJ joint failure.
The vagueness in the steering is likely to be experienced, prior to the joint completely falling apart.
The second issue is the knocking / rattling noise that can be felt and heard when crossing a broken tarmac surface or small pot hole in the road.
It can be heard coming from the top section of the column, when going from lock to lock with the steering wheel when parking etc sometimes.
Dealers have replaced the UJ on customers cars and then customer still complains that the rattle / knocking is still present.
The inner and outer steering column is replaced to cure the issue.
It is very likely that there will be upper and lower bushes separating the inside and outside of the steering column assemblies.
They where commonly made from nylon / felt or even a hard plastic.

Is your column still rattle / knock free @Kithmo after all this time ?.
I do recall your post on tightening up the pinch clamp to cure the rattle on your steering column on your car.
It’s a while ago now for sure !!.
I seem to remember you tightened it slightly, but the rattle came back after a short time, but you nailed it second time by a little more tightened, am I correct ?.
I think you posted some very useful photos of how to remove the top steering column trim to expose the nylon nut that you check tightened ?.
Maybe worth a repost or provide a link please 🙏.
Yes still rattle free.
I'll have a look for the original post, I think the photos might have been someone else's.
Edit: here's the original post with various solutions.
Still good after 1 year and 10 months.
MG ZS Steering Fault - clicking when turning

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure here, but I am of the understanding that the Gen1 and the Gen2 models is using the same Bosch system.
The UJ set up on the lower section of the steering column is the same set up.
It maybe from a different supplier but its design is still the same I believe.
There appears to be two different complaints here from owners.
We have the knocking / rattling noise felt at the steering wheel and a complaint of feeling a vagueness / steering wander at the steering wheel.
Some cars have suffered catastrophic UJ joint failure.
The vagueness in the steering is likely to be experienced, prior to the joint completely falling apart.
The second issue is the knocking / rattling noise that can be felt and heard when crossing a broken tarmac surface or small pot hole in the road.
It can be heard coming from the top section of the column, when going from lock to lock with the steering wheel when parking etc sometimes.
Dealers have replaced the UJ on customers cars and then customer still complains that the rattle / knocking is still present.
The inner and outer steering column is replaced to cure the issue.
It is very likely that there will be upper and lower bushes separating the inside and outside of the steering column assemblies.
They where commonly made from nylon / felt or even a hard plastic.
I had the "2nd issue" - I'd tried tightening the 2 bolts either side of the steering column but that only solved the problem for a few miles.
What appears to have fixed it finally is removing the scuttle panel and tightening the bolt on the bulk head.
The process was rather simple once I'd removed the wipers, i made sure to lube up all the plastic parts with silicon grease as well to try and eliminate any further rattles.

I had the "2nd issue" - I'd tried tightening the 2 bolts either side of the steering column but that only solved the problem for a few miles.
What appears to have fixed it finally is removing the scuttle panel and tightening the bolt on the bulk head.
The process was rather simple once I'd removed the wipers, i made sure to lube up all the plastic parts with silicon grease as well to try and eliminate any further rattles.
That’s a “Top Tip” @danj !.
While you had the wiper scuttle panel off, did you think to install some silent tape on the back of the hard plastic gasket, that fits on the scuttle panel.
It sits between the scuttle and the bottom of the windscreen.
It is a common issue that bugs some owners, when the hard gasket drags on the glass, it produces a sudden creak / snapping noise that sounds like it is coming from behind the dash.
It is worse in cold weather conditions, but reduces in volume as the cabin warms up.
I have witnessed it on both the Gen1 and Gen2 models.
A quick fix is to use some silicone spray ( not standard WD40 ) behind the gasket.
Easy as you don’t have to remove the scuttle panel, but the tape is a better fix I think.

That’s a “Top Tip” @danj !.
While you had the wiper scuttle panel off, did you think to install some silent tape on the back of the hard plastic gasket, that fits on the scuttle panel.
It sits between the scuttle and the bottom of the windscreen.
It is a common issue that bugs some owners, when the hard gasket drags on the glass, it produces a sudden creak / snapping noise that sounds like it is coming from behind the dash.
It is worse in cold weather conditions, but reduces in volume as the cabin warms up.
I have witnessed it on both the Gen1 and Gen2 models.
A quick fix is to use some silicone spray ( not standard WD40 ) behind the gasket.
Easy as you don’t have to remove the scuttle panel, but the tape is a better fix I think.
I taped and lubed where I couldn't tape, when they have it in for a service they're going to think I've driven through a branch of Ann Summers.
Agree it's worse in cold weather, but this all seems to have settled it, at least for now!

Yes still rattle free.
I'll have a look for the original post, I think the photos might have been someone else's.
Edit: here's the original post with various solutions.
Still good after 1 year and 10 months.
MG ZS Steering Fault - clicking when turning
Thanks @Kithmo .
I do remember somebody kindly uploading pictures of the upper steering column cowl being removed and then showing the two bolts that secure the column to the body shell and also the third single bolt, that lives under the wiper scuttle panel and passes through the bulkhead and then secures the steering column assembly to the body shell.
But I am unable to find them right now ???.
These are the bolts that @danj tightened to fix his knock / rattle is would appear.

Thanks @Kithmo .
I do remember somebody kindly uploading pictures of the upper steering column cowl being removed and then showing the two bolts that secure the column to the body shell and also the third single bolt, that lives under the wiper scuttle panel and passes through the bulkhead and then secures the steering column assembly to the body shell.
But I am unable to find them right now ???.
These are the bolts that @danj tightened to fix his knock / rattle is would appear.
Yep tightening the one under the scuttle panel (driver's side, under the wiper assembly) seems to have sorted mine out.
Simple enough job to do with the right tools (a wiper arm puller is essential) and took less than an hour.
I've a 500 mile round trip this week so that should loosen things up if it's not fixed it!

Yep tightening the one under the scuttle panel (driver's side, under the wiper assembly) seems to have sorted mine out.
Simple enough job to do with the right tools (a wiper arm puller is essential) and took less than an hour.
I've a 500 mile round trip this week so that should loosen things up if it's not fixed it!
Thank you and please report back after your trip (y).

Mileage complete, still no knocking sound. Declaring that one fixed.
Top job !.
Did you need to remove the lower steering column cowl to tighten the two bolts, or could you get at them, by just removing the top steering column cowling ?.
Which I think is only held in place by clips ?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom