Top job !.
Did you need to remove the lower steering column cowl to tighten the two bolts, or could you get at them, by just removing the top steering column cowling ?.
Which I think is only held in place by clips ?.
I’d previously tried tightening the 2 bolts either side of the steering column but that didn’t fix it for long.
What seems to have fixed it for me was removing the wiper arms, the scuttle panel and tightening the bolt on the bulkhead near the wiper motor assembly.

Hi when I turn the steering wheel I occasionally get a click. Also if I put oressure on oneside or other of the steering wheel. Seems to come from the column near the steering wheel height adjustment. Is this normal ?
Had the same problem on my 70 reg zs ev, dealer replaced steering column under warranty, took 5 months for part to arrive !

Had the same problem on my 70 reg zs ev, dealer replaced steering column under warranty, took 5 months for part to arrive !
Dealer had a look and tightened everything and told me to see how it goes. No click for a while and then back it came. Dealer not aware it was a known problem. Anyone got a reference or info so I show it to the dealer when I go back? Thanks

Last edited:
Dealer had a look and tightened everything and told me to see how it goes. No click for a while and then back it came. Dealer not aware it was a known problem. Anyone got a reference or info so I show it to the dealer when I go back? Thanks
Point them to this forum. Or tell them to read ALL the MG bulletins.

I have the same problem with my late 2022 ZS EV
I took it to the dealer, and they couldnt replicate the problem.. they couldnt find a fault.
I could be wrong, but I think its doing it more when the external temperature is colder ( eg 12 degree C or less)

I have the same problem with my late 2022 ZS EV
I took it to the dealer, and they couldnt replicate the problem.. they couldnt find a fault.
I could be wrong, but I think its doing it more when the external temperature is colder ( eg 12 degree C or less)
Yes I found the same, the rattle / click is more pronounced in the colder conditions.
I have found that the rattle emanates from the upper part of the steering column.

Hi when I turn the steering wheel I occasionally get a click. Also if I put oressure on oneside or other of the steering wheel. Seems to come from the column near the steering wheel height adjustment. Is this normal ?
Me to!
It was very noticable on the small winding Devonshire / Cornish roads.
Thanks Guys I will get the dealers to look into it especially as It has just had its first yeras service. Obviously it never got checked and why not if a known issue? Maybe they should have cinched down the bolts.

Last edited:
Me to!
It was very noticable on the small winding Devonshire / Cornish roads.
Thanks Guys I will get the dealers to look into it especially as It has just had its first yeras service. Obviously it never got checked and why not if a known issue? Maybe they should have cinched down the bolts.
The dealers only tend to work on the items already agreed previously on the work list.
The workshop time is allocated accordingly.
If you book the car in for its annual service and then request “on the day”.
“Oh ….. While it is in, can you look at this”.
They are very likely to ask you to make another appointment, especially if it’s warranty work 🤣.
It’s frustrating because initially you require one appointment to investigate the problem.
Then when the dealership has diagnosed the problem, they then need guidance and authority to order any replacement parts.
If the steering column requires replacement, normally this has proven to be a long wait.
If your column is deemed fit for continued use, then you’re still mobile.
But if not, your car is stranded at the dealer awaiting the parts and very likely coming from China.
MG in the U.K. only hold parts in very small numbers.
If there is a sudden demand for an item, then the stock is wiped out.
The latest shortage situation is on new rear coil springs for the ZS EV facelift.
These are now on back order I believe, with customers cars in a VOTR ( vehicle off the road ) condition.
A bit early to start a Christmas list I know, but still worth a go, I guess 👍.
“Dear MG Santa over in China, I have been good lad this year, so I have written down some items on my wish list.
So, could you can please send a large create, containing the following items.
Some steering columns / rear coil springs and some door locking mechanisms.
I know this list if a little early, but it is likely to take until Christmas ( not sure which one ) for them to arrive !.
Thanks 🙏!.

Yes I found the same, the rattle / click is more pronounced in the colder conditions.
I have found that the rattle emanates from the upper part of the steering column.
I have had the vehicle into the dealer twice.
This time ( second time) they we able to identify the noise as coming from the upper steering column.
They have ordered a replacement ( which must be coming form overseas because if it was local they would have kept the vehicle in for repairs, MG HQ in New Zealand is only about an hours drives from the dealer I purchased from)
They do not have an eta yet for the replacement part
While the vehicle was in they did " multiple software upgrades" but were unable to give me any specifics about what the upgrades were for.

On second visit to dealer they agreed to refer to MG. Car booked in for replacement column. Pity it took 2 visits ( dealer noticed click both times) before referal. Hoping this will solve the issue.

This appears to be general policy with MG.
1st dealer appointment to locate the problem and report back there findings after a quick check around and check tighten on components.
Second appointment for the same problem and the dealer will request authorisation from MG to order the replacement column.
It’s a know problem by both the dealer and MG themselves, but they insist on following this long winded route.
The part will almost certainly be on back order from China.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom