scubaginty

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all
My 2022 mgzs has just been in to the dealers for the 5th time for radio lockups and unable to disconnect Bluetooth after receiving a call. Also wiper blades replaced as would not clear screen.
Noticed over the last 3 weeks a clicking every now and then when turn corners from the area behind the cover over the stalks.
The wheel also moves up and down slightly when pushed

When the car was ready to collect was told it needs a new column. Awaiting mg to authorise replacement. Car has covered 3356 miles. Never had this on any car in over 40 years of driving. And I have owned some right old bangers

Last edited:
Lots of threads on clicking steering column. MG must have bought a faulty batch of them.
Agreed, came in the same batch as the door locks and the rear coil springs no doubt !.
It must be a large batch though, as the upper steering column bushes were a common problem on the Gen 1 version and this has now migrated over to the Gen 2 model.
Which comes as no surprise as its the same Bosch system.
MG have been are aware of the problem for a long time, but never introduced any quality control improvements to help rectify the situation.
Their answer continues to be, keep replacing the column.
Long wait times are normal and can be months on end !.
Then keep your fingers crossed that you don’t get another faulty one !.
Most manufacturers have a couple of different suppliers, it is likely that one of the suppliers has an issue with these columns, but not the other !.
The last time I replaced upper and lower steering column buses on a car, was on a 1963 classic mini.
It should not be happening on a modern day car anymore, they should be good for the life of the car.
There are many examples on the forum about this issue, going right back to 2019.
A quick search 🔍 will likely shock you on this subject !.

Had it on my gen1, clicking sound when turning the steering wheel. Upper part replaced first, eased the problem a bit but did not fix it. Lower part then replaced but a very long wait for the part. I was advised the car was safe to drive, it was more of an annoyance than anything else, but now the entire column has been replaced, it's fine.

I have a71 plate zs. I've found that if you hold the steering wheel with both hands and not turning the wheel but put pressure to the left then right it makes a clicking sound, which I believe is coming from the column height adjustment lock, the same sound I get sometimes when going round corners

I have a71 plate zs. I've found that if you hold the steering wheel with both hands and not turning the wheel but put pressure to the left then right it makes a clicking sound, which I believe is coming from the column height adjustment lock, the same sound I get sometimes when going round corners
That’s a bang on description of the usual problem encountered by this issue !.
The single click / tick noise emanates from the upper section of the steering column and tends to be located in the one / three o’clock position normally.
It can be heard and felt through the steering wheel when sometimes entering a speed bump, or when crossing over a patch of broken / rough tarmac surface.
It tends to happen as the body flexes as well.
Some customers have found that a combination of tightening up all three steering column securing bolts, and pitching up the manual adjustment for the steering column, will sometimes correct the problem.
The third steering column securing bolt, can only be accessed by removal of the wiper scuttle panel.
This bolt passes through the bulkhead and then picks up on the steering column.
The more serious lower UJ joint failures we have seen reported, appear thankfully less of an issue more recently.

Hi all
My 2022 mgzs has just been in to the dealers for the 5th time for radio lockups and unable to disconnect Bluetooth after receiving a call. Also wiper blades replaced as would not clear screen.
Noticed over the last 3 weeks a clicking every now and then when turn corners from the area behind the cover over the stalks.

When the car was ready to collect was told it needs a new column. Awaiting mg to authorise replacement. Car has covered 3356 miles. Never had this on any car in over 40 years of driving. And I have owned some right old bangers
My 69 plate has just been into the garage and had the steering column replaced, only done 22000 miles in this. These cars have nothing but issues, particulate filter issues also - never ever will I buy or recommend MG

Hi all

My 2022 model has had exactly the same steering column symptoms. Had it in a few months ago where they tightened some bolts but the clicking came back within days. Had the whole steering column replaced 4 weeks ago and ................ it's just the same, even worse in fact. The mechanic admitted that it hadn't fixed the problem but offered no suggestion of what to do next. I'm about to write to the Service Manager to request some technical advice from MG as I'm fed up with the issue - it clicks on every turn, either at the 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock position. Anyone out there got any ideas? My mk1 ZS EV was fine.

Yep! Had the steering bolts tightened but it hasn’t fixed the issue. Not sure which ones they tightened so will chase it up and report back.

Lots of threads on clicking steering column. MG must have bought a faulty batch of them.
My 21 reg MGZS EV exclusive, owned for 2 years done 13000 miles without any problems at all. Obviously avoided the "bad batch" of anything, which is more than i can say for my previous BMW which had numerous problems in the same period. Bloody rubbish German quality!

Hi all

Hi
Hi all

Hi, i have the same car and problem! Garage said they only had to tighten the steering bolts! Thats ok then nothing important then!!!
I also said when i open the sunroof in any position it rattles!! They said they have ordered a new rails that the roof slid in as MG agree it is faulty. Then told could be a long wait!
I am pleased with my car but worry about the car lasting a long time! Will look at changing it in the next 2 years! Maybe a Kia ev. Any thoughts?

My 69 plate has just been into the garage and had the steering column replaced, only done 22000 miles in this. These cars have nothing but issues, particulate filter issues also - never ever will I buy or recommend MG
Filter issues? What's that?

Filter issues? What's that?
Mine has no issues, not steering column, not anything else. Love the EV silence and powe, love the adaptive cruise, love the sunroof, comfy electric heated leather seats, everything really. Best car ive ever had including Merc and BMW, VW, Ford (worst!), citroen, Nissan, Seat, Peugeot. Skoda Octavia next best.

My July 22 ZS Trophy LR Mk2 was beginning to show signs of the clicks detailed above, so when it went for its service today I logged it for attention. Right enough, new column required, and once MG UK approve the warranty claim, Arnold Clark will order it up, but not holding breath. Assured it's safe to drive.

My July 22 ZS Trophy LR Mk2 was beginning to show signs of the clicks detailed above, so when it went for its service today I logged it for attention. Right enough, new column required, and once MG UK approve the warranty claim, Arnold Clark will order it up, but not holding breath. Assured it's safe to drive.
MG have known this to be a problem, way back in the days of the original ( Gen 1 ) ZS EV.
The first ZS EV first hit the market in the U.K. way back in late 2019.
Some owners started reported this problem within the first six months of taking ownership of their car.
After some attempted fixes that usually failed and seen customers returning with the same complaint, MG came to the conclusion that replacing the whole steering column assembly, was the right way to go.
There is two widely documented failure problem areas here.
You can have the more dramatic ( and more serious condition ) of failure of the lower steering UJ joint, or the most common complaint by owners, is the “Clicking” noise heard in the upper steering column assembly when turning the steering wheel, or when travelling over a broken tarmac surface of the road.
This complaint ( although very concerning to the owners of course ) appears to be less of major worry, than when the lower UJ fails !.
As I have stated above, it was a problem in the original ZS EV and because the issue was never investigated correctly, and a solution found.
Then it should come as no real surprise, that the problem did migrate over to the face lift model of the ZS EV.
Why ?.
Because it has the very same Bosch steering system on both models.
Quality control ( if there is any ) had plenty of time to bottom out this problem on the original ( Gen 1 ) ZS EV.
But it is pretty clear now, that no remedial action was implemented and here we are, replacing complete steering columns very prematurely.
The common conclusion appears to be, just replace the whole column !.
Great - But is it getting replaced with another steering column that is likely to fail again !.
Why are they failing SO prematurely is the first question that needs to be asked and then stop the flow ???.

Well had the steering column replaced today. Software flashed again as main beam was coming on during the day time, and collision warning failure and HV battery fault.
I wonder how long this one will last. mileage now 3412, might get to 7000.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom