Steering fault diagnosed three months ago

Ninjageek

Standard Member
Reaction score
Soooo my MG had its first service back in the beginning of October. I mentioned to MG there was knocking when I would pull away quick or turning. I did however mention about this 2 months into owning the car but they couldn’t see what the issue was but told me if the noise got worse I should take it back.

Now they diagnosed it in the service, it is the steering column and both dampers leaking. Luckily this is all covered under warranty but still till this date the parts still haven’t arrived and the garage are unable to provide an ETA. It’s crazy it’s taking this long! Whenever I have to order new items for my customers, from servers down to MacBooks. Worse case scenario is 4-6 weeks. Not nearly 3 months 😅

Anyone else waiting on parts to arrive from a warranty claim?

There have been several tales of extended waiting time so your case is by no means unique.

Lovemyev has had a terrible experience waiting for parts too.

We waited 2 months (from mid October) for a new steering column and drive selector knob to arrive. Not had chance to get it booked in for the repairs yet

It's a problem you can possibly live with if the faulty part doesn't take your car off the road. If that's not the case, you might find yourself behind the wheel of a courtesy car for weeks if not months.

It's a problem you can possibly live with if the faulty part doesn't take your car off the road. If that's not the case, you might find yourself behind the wheel of a courtesy car for weeks if not months.
My car was stranded at the dealership awaiting a new electric hand brake motor and a new rear brake calliper.
The electric motor arrived first after about two and a half weeks, then the brake calliper arrived about a week latter.
Both parts where only about £160 ( ish ) pounds in total and MG paid for a loan car for almost 1 month !.
The car hire alone must have been around £2,000 !.
If you have a hire car, then MG will be pushing for the parts to arrive A.S.A.P.
Other wise if you have the use of your car, you could be waiting ages for the bits.
If the parts you require are a common place item on the ICE car, then you may get them fairly quickly.
If they are indicative to the EV model ( like in ur case ) then you could have a LONG wait.
Wait times for replacement parts, is like pulling teeth TBH !.
@Ninjageek when the parts department raises the order, it will go onto a "Back Order" list.
If you push the parts people at the dealership, they can e.mail or even call the main MG parts department and ask them to give you an ETA for your parts.
This what I did, on the very first day.
I did my own homework and tracked down the part numbers of the parts I required.
This shocked the parts department guys and ask me where I had this info from ?.
"A friend at MG I said".
They checked the part numbers and where a little shocked that they where both 100% correct.
I had a A4 sheet with an exploded view of the parts as well.
Having worked in the motor trade a long time ago, I kind of know when somebody is trying to give me the run around.
After standing at the parts counter, they soon got the idea I was not leaving without some facts.
After an e.mail and a phone call, I left with an ETA on BOTH parts.
I called them for a progress report on the ETA ever week.
The first item arrived on the very same date as the ETA stated.
But the second item, did drifted out by another week.
Then it DID hit that new dead line, bang on !.
As soon as MG main parts department had shipped the parts, they then contacted the dealer and instructed them to have the replacement items fitted on the very same day !.
The dealer called to say that MG had shipped the items and that the dealer SHOULD have them the following morning.
MG wanted that car fixed the very same day and told me that the car would be collected by the hire company the following day.
We collected our car from the dealership before diner and the hire company collected the hire car before 2.00pm that same day !.
To be fair, it must be very frustrating for the dealer.
They found the fault and ordered the replacement parts on the same day and installed the parts on the same day.
It's waiting for the parts is the killer !.
The MG ZS EV was released over two years ago now, waiting for weeks or months for replacements parts is not acceptable and very costly as well.
The steering column is a Bosch part I believe ?.
Not the type of poor quality you expect from them, unless they have been installed incorrectly of course.
My car has the steering wheel rattle / knock also.
Why have I not had it attended too ?.
Simple, I don't want to be without my car again for weeks on end !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom