Steering knocking noise when turning my dealers theory is wheel trim

Muffin

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Asked dealer why the steering makes a knocking noise when turning he said it to with the wheel trim
On the forum I see it a steering column problem
Who is correct

The forum is always right.

If i were you, i would find one of the posts that describe the problem, with pictures, and show that to him, and "demand" he checks that joint out.
This is a serious potential security issue, if the stering wheel suddenly loses connection with the steering rack, you will have a very bad day.

Asked dealer why the steering makes a knocking noise when turning he said it to with the wheel trim
On the forum I see it a steering column problem
Who is correct
It could be many things. It’s impossible to say for certain on a forum.
Yes - there have been steering column issues reported, but it needs professionally checking and a safety report completed.

The forum is always right.

If i were you, i would find one of the posts that describe the problem, with pictures, and show that to him, and "demand" he checks that joint out.
This is a serious potential security issue, if the stering wheel suddenly loses connection with the steering rack, you will have a very bad day.
Thanks mate I will get them to fully check steering column out

I have this problem and it has been checked by my MG dealer and it has been determined to be the lower steering column. Take it somewhere else as obviously they have no clue what they are talking about.

Just pull the wheel trim off and take it for a drive
This will prove / disprove their theory at least !.
Had they been that confident that their diagnosis had been correct, then as @N2STY suggests, they should have removed the trims and proved their point to the customer.
But honestly, I do doubt this to be correct diagnosis myself.
These trims are SO hard to remove, that some trims have actually split when trying to remove them from the alloy rims.
Would MG be replacing lower steering joints and upper steering columns on some cars if it had been proved it was the wheel covers at fault, I think not.
Take it to dealer who will treat your problem with the interest and concern it rightly deserves.

I would seriously check their competence. How can a trim make a knocking noise on the steering?
Be polite but firm with them and tell them they are idiots?

I would seriously check their competence. How can a trim make a knocking noise on the steering?
Be polite but firm with them and tell them they are idiots?
... and that is why you really feel you should be taking your business elsewhere....

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom