Steering problem

Shippo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, so my steering started clunking when turning the steering wheel, I looked and found the universal joint had failed. I asked MG if this was covered by the warranty, they said if it was a manufacturing fault it would be, also I was within the 3 year window, I thought it was a 7 year warranty. I have had noises from the steering from about 5000 miles in, which was noted on the 1st service. Any thoughts on if it should be covered by the warranty?

Attachments

• 20230402_170046.jpg
    20230402_170046.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 111
Hi all, so my steering started clunking when turning the steering wheel, I looked and found the universal joint had failed. I asked MG if this was covered by the warranty, they said if it was a manufacturing fault it would be, also I was within the 3 year window, I thought it was a 7 year warranty. I have had noises from the steering from about 5000 miles in, which was noted on the 1st service. Any thoughts on if it should be covered by the warranty?
I thought the whole car was covered for 7 years but you know what they are like. Good luck.

I seem to remember someone mentioning on another post that certain items have certain time limits UNDER the 7 year warranty. It's probably worth reading the small print.

Attachments

• MG_Online_Warranty_Statement_October_2021.pdf
    275.2 KB · Views: 117
How old is the car and how many miles has it covered ?.
I am puzzled why if you reported it, at the time of the first service, why it was not picked up and rectified earlier ?.
If you look on the UJ yokes, you can clearly see the deep impressions made in the metal, as the yokes have been knocking together due to the excessive amount of play because one of the UJ cup bearings has broken up or fallen out of the UJ yoke.
Is there any of the UJ cup / bearings on the carpet etc ?..

I have read a few posts about this from individuals which would indicate it’s a design fault. Regardless of warranty. UK consumer law states that something must follow The SAD FART advice - applies to the Consumer Rights Act 2015. When someone buys an item, it must be Satisfactory quality As Described (SAD) and Fit for purpose And last a Reasonable length of Time (FART).
if something breaks due to normal use, I would say this applies and there is evidence from others to prove it. If MG or Dealership argues otherwise, tell them you’ll take them to court - they don’t need bad publicity right now - it doesn’t sell cars…

I doubt very much MG are at all concerned. Just look at other threads how they have treated customers. It’s sell sell sell and don’t worry about issues.

As this is a safety issue, MG would be very foolish to ignore it. It does not seem to be getting sorted however….

The issue that I have is how customers are treated. Plus the lack of technical knowledge and communication within dealerships.
For example, in this instance, with a little bit of research it can be seen that there have been issues with UJ’s failing on some ZS’s.
If MG had a good service bulletin system that kept dealers updated they should be all over this from day one. It should never get to this stage, and the fact that it has is very poor. A combination of poor MG back up and in some instances poor dealers.
MG seem to take the view that until it really breaks just let it slide. It might then be out of warranty.

I have read a few posts about this from individuals which would indicate it’s a design fault. Regardless of warranty. UK consumer law states that something must follow The SAD FART advice - applies to the Consumer Rights Act 2015. When someone buys an item, it must be Satisfactory quality As Described (SAD) and Fit for purpose And last a Reasonable length of Time (FART).
if something breaks due to normal use, I would say this applies and there is evidence from others to prove it. If MG or Dealership argues otherwise, tell them you’ll take them to court - they don’t need bad publicity right now - it doesn’t sell cars…
The first step would be to download a template letter from Martin Lewis's website MoneySavingExpert, fill it with information about your complaint, and ask for a response within a reasonable time. Send it by recorded delivery and the clock starts ticking. If they choose not to fix the problem, you can at least get your money back under the Consumer Protection Act 2015, and maybe some compensation for expenses etc.

I did this with my home battery which after 2 years had dropped its capacity by 20% (That should have been after 10 years). Once they received my letter, I got a call from the managing director, apologizing and offering me an upgrade to the latest system. Result! :)

As Cocijo says this has been dribbling on for ages with little progress. My car is absolutely fine which makes it difficult to pursue. Somehow there needs to be a collective response to get some action. It is crazy for MG to let it slide which might lead to a death.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom