Steering Wheel Cover option (Aliexpress)

richlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Wondering if anybody has gone for one of these? Be interested to hear feedback on quality, fit etc

Looks like a little stitching may be required, must say I'm no dab hand with a needle and thread:
For-MG4-2022-2023-MG-MULAN-Genuine-Leather-Car-Steering-Wheel-Cover-Car-Accessories-Interior-Automobiles.jpg_.webp

For-MG4-2022-2023-MG-MULAN-Genuine-Leather-Car-Steering-Wheel-Cover-Car-Accessories-Interior-Automobiles.jpg_640x640.jpg

For-MG4-2022-2023-MG-MULAN-Genuine-Leather-Car-Steering-Wheel-Cover-Car-Accessories-Interior-Automobiles.jpg_.webp

Wondering how the orange may look, contrasting with the Holborn blue exterior 🤔

Hey,

I got the white one. Looks amazing, quality is good.

The bad parts:

- my sewing work was terrible, looks nothing like the picture. Also took me like 2-3 hours ;( If you have even a mild form of OCD, do not recommend

- you need to use the double sided tape all over the original steering wheel leather. I was hesitant at first, really wonder what the glue would do sitting there for few years.

Hope this helps.

Hey,

I got the white one. Looks amazing, quality is good.

The bad parts:

- my sewing work was terrible, looks nothing like the picture. Also took me like 2-3 hours ;( If you have even a mild form of OCD, do not recommend

- you need to use the double sided tape all over the original steering wheel leather. I was hesitant at first, really wonder what the glue would do sitting there for few years.

Hope this helps.
That really helps, thanks! Care to share any 📸 of the finished handy work?

Out of interest, which areas need sewing, all the way round the circumference, or particular sections?

Hello,

More or less it looks exactly the same as the Ali pictures. But the pattern of the thread is not as nice looking as the one on the included leaflet (Or just my OCD messing with me).

What you get in the box is a circular strip made of leather and synthetic material bits. You have to fit it over the steering wheel. It is very tight fit, so it has to be forced a bit, but it is the correct length.

Then you need to position it to the mm, so when both flaps meet each other, it has to be in the inner
circle of the steering wheel (where the original leather stitching is).

Then you cut small strips of the double sided tape and put everywhere on the flaps and pull and press to the steering wheel, so there are no air gaps.

Finally, when you are happy with the result (it will take all the tape), you start the threading. It is very
tricky cutting the needed length, not too short, not too long. The actual thread is covered with some
sticky stuff, i guess is for a reason.

About actual process - the thread goes into the cover stitched bits, not into the holes of the leather! So you put through in each section, pull hard to connect both flaps and go to the next. Maybe because of the sticky stuff, IDK, there is no let go when you release. Overall it is easy, but time taking process.

Starting and finishing is tricky as you don't want bits sticking out. And then you use the plastic tool to 'fit' the leather under the plastics of the steering wheel.

As to your question, yes, stitching is all around the internal circumference, skipping the support struts, so the thread needs to be cut, at least twice (i did more as it was easier to sew, then joined with a knot).

Finally, it is great that the MG4 is available in China, so there are so many really cool and high quality accessories on AliExpress for this car. I can't seems to stop myself from buying.

Edit: To add pictures. Yes, i do suck at Arts and Crafts :(

Attachments

• IMG_3963.JPG
    IMG_3963.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3964.JPG
    IMG_3964.JPG
    371.4 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3965.JPG
    IMG_3965.JPG
    335.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_3966.JPG
    IMG_3966.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_3967.JPG
    IMG_3967.JPG
    451.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_3968.JPG
    IMG_3968.JPG
    342 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3969.JPG
    IMG_3969.JPG
    381 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
That looks fantastic, wonderful handy work, not sure I'd be quite as neat :/ Thanks for the detailed description. Does it feel nice to use?

Out of interest, which other goodies have you bought from Ali? Collected my MG4 today.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom