Sticky steering in CruiseControl

MG5 Lone Ranger

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello fellow MG5 Evers, has anyone noticed whilst driving in CruiseControl that steering is somewhat sticky, i.e. needs more effort to turn the steeringwheel.
Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.
P.S. I bought and fitted some 80W LED headlight bulbs, my word are they bright, really pleased with them.

I have a FL. If you hit the lever twice when turning in cruise control you also turn on lane control. When this is on the car will steer to keep you in the lane. It means if you try to turn the wheel you are fighting the car. Is it possible you are doing this?

I have a FL. If you hit the lever twice when turning in cruise control you also turn on lane control. When this is on the car will steer to keep you in the lane. It means if you try to turn the wheel you are fighting the car. Is it possible you are doing this?
Thanks for the reply, mine is a PreFL2021 model.
I feel sure I only ease the lever once towards the steeringwheel, then press the select button on the end to set the speed, as previous careless movements have resulted in what you suggest.

Last edited:
I have a PFL and there is no stickiness in the steering.
Do you get the same effect in ECO/Normal/Sport as they each offer differing degrees of steering assistance?

Is it this you're describing?

It seems to me to be wind-related, i.e. I only notice it when its windy. Perhaps this car is particularly prone to side winds at cruising speed. I don't get it a low speeds ever.

I have a PFL and there is no stickiness in the steering.
Do you get the same effect in ECO/Normal/Sport as they each offer differing degrees of steering assistance?
I only ever drive in E, side winds don't affect it, if I turn off CruiseControl the steering returns to its normal behaviour of good responsiveness, thanks anyway, but it seems my son experiences this phenomenon in his partner's Golf, so it would seem that some sort of 'Lane Assist' is enabled.

I only ever drive in E, side winds don't affect it, if I turn off CruiseControl the steering returns to its normal behaviour of good responsiveness, thanks anyway, but it seems my son experiences this phenomenon in his partner's Golf, so it would seem that some sort of 'Lane Assist' is enabled.
Just to confirm, you are using the adaptive cruise control and you haven't accidently engaged MG Pilot ?

After a recent update our lane assist & cruse doesn’t affect our steering like it used to & the MG pilot has stopped crashing.
I was thinking about fitting new LED bulbs but to be honest I find car headlights show so much glare now it feels dangerous, I’d dont have a problem with the standard ones but I read people saying they are rubbish & to get new super bright LED’s has anyone tested them for a legal limit? I fear it could blind an oncoming driver & risk cause a head on collision. Or maybe I’m getting old :)

Just to confirm, you are using the adaptive cruise control and you haven't accidently engaged MG Pilot ?
Definitely no 'MG Pilot', that is switched off by me, and it is 'Adaptive Cruise Control' as applied by the left hand lower stalk, as for the LED headlights mine are pointing down in dipped, as I strongly agree with other victims of dazzle, not been out to really use main beam yet, 'Auto Main Beam' is also OFF.

Hello fellow MG5 Evers, has anyone noticed whilst driving in CruiseControl that steering is somewhat sticky, i.e. needs more effort to turn the steeringwheel.
Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.
P.S. I bought and fitted some 80W LED headlight bulbs, my word are they bright, really pleased with them.
Yes I find this whenever using it and as a consequence I use it less than when driving a diesel vehicle. To me it feels a bit unstable on the road and more of a fight than I really want on a journey

Just focusing on the lights, I have a FL LR 2023 trophy. I find the dipped beam to be one of the best features of the car, and for my vehicle does not need upgrading in any way.

I find this during longer journeys, with or without cruise control. I wondered if it was something to do with the steering rack getting warm/cold, or maybe the adaptive assistance reducing automatically when at motorway speeds. If I owned the car I'd be more worried but my lease ends in June so I'm giving it back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little update to my 'Sticky Steering' posting.

Last week I had my wheels swapped from front to back, and hey presto sticky steering gone.

This action was prompted by my requesting the Hull MG garage to have a look at the vehicle, with hopefully a solution to be found.

Their response 'It'll cost you a minimum of £130 + just to test drive it'.

So a wheel swap around followed, and again happy motoring....

Good afternoon LordSiborg, I came to your neck of the woods yesterday, visited Halstead first stop from Scunthorpe 170miles, had a wee break at Cambridge services(A14) on the way down.

Anyway, obviously I needed to top the hungry battery.

I had quite a struggle to find any EV points in Halstead, so ended up in Braintree.

The Instavolt one I hoped to use was in a sports club carpark on the Braintree industrial estate, at the very end of a deadend, however upon finding said EV points, the slots where occupied by two petrol cars with no-one in sight.

That left me looking for something a little more likely to be available, the Tesco 7kWh PodPoint looked favourable, but finding it proved a little unsettling as the range was diminishing.

I eventually found it and after several attempts to get some charge out of it, we added 35miles range whilst we had a little snack we'd brought with us.

I realised we were in for a really long wait and the wife was getting very stressed, so pulled the plug and then made our way along the A120 to Birchanger Services.

I found two Gridserve chargers unoccupied, and proceeded to connect via the CCS plug, the screen display seemed confusing to me, not having used public EV charging many times, but it seemed to be progressing, so went into the services to refresh.

Having refreshed and feeling hungry, we attacked the KFC bar, only to find it was closing, and only had 10 Hotwings and a small fries available, together with a couple of Pepsi Max, and only costing £11.50, we were really pleased to get something reasonable for a change.

The really nice surprise was that when getting back to car, it had 93% and 233miles under its belt, so a couple of happy bunnies set off back to Scunthorpe.

This is not in anyway a downer on Braintree, if it had been in the daytime and knew the area better, I think things would have a lot smoother for my wife, she thought we were going to have sleep in the car, not ideal at all.

Anyway, I now feel much more confident at tackling longer journeys, hope I haven't bored too many of yous...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom