Storm tripped Zappi internal RCD

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
We had a big thunderstorm with lightning and heavy rain last night and we missed the warnings, so the car was on charge overnight.

The storm didn't affect anything in the house, but the Zappi's internal RCD was tripped (not the consumer unit) and it stopped the charge and was displaying an error. This morning I had to unplug, reset the Zappi, and plug back in again.

There's no particular problem, but I am wondering why/how the Zappi was the only thing affected. Are they super-sensitive to grid fluctuations from distant lightning strikes?

The power never went off and nothing else in the house has rebooted.

Maybe an electrical guru can advise what might have happened?

Thanks.

I,ll take a bit of a guess, I imagine the zappi was professionally fitted and so would have its own dedicated short path to earth and being on the outside of the house . A potential overcurrent from a lightning burst either generated in the live/neutral cables or more likely in the earth cable ( it does not have to be that close ) would affect the zappi internal circuitry and RCD proberly a B type which can detect stray dc currents and trip it out , because this charge has now been dissipated it has less chance of affecting the house electrics . ( not a guru )

If you speak to myenergi they may be able to access diagnostic data from the unit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom