Strange smell from air blowers

Rg5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just took delivery of my mg5 lr today. Pleased overall but the air con/heater smells a bit iffy when on. I have tried recirculate and non recirculate and also left it running for 10 minutes with Windows open thinking it's probably due to condensation build up and the car having travelled from China. Just checking anyone else had this issue and that it was this and will clear in a day or 2 or should I be onto dealers already about it?

You could try running at maximum temperature for a few minutes to properly dry it out. A faint burning smell isn't uncommon if the heater hasn't been used for a while. You'd get the same effect with a fan heater in the house.

OK. I'll try that. I did try running it but with aircon on. So I'll try with aircon off at full heat. Thank you

The heater smell is gone now but air con smell still a bit like old socks. Will get out a good run without the wife tomorrow and run it to see if it clears as she won't let me run it with the smell

The heater smell is gone now but air con smell still a bit like old socks. Will get out a good run without the wife tomorrow and run it to see if it clears as she won't let me run it with the smell
"Will get out a good run without the wife tomorrow" - I was wondering what you were implying there for a minute!

Yep, ours smelled a bit today when the heater was on, typical new heater element smell. Nothing on aircon though. Might just be your Pollen filter has got damp during transit across the ocean.

Make sure to run the air con for a bit and ensure recirculation is turned off - that'll draw some fresh air through the vents and freeze any moisture on the evaporator.

Then open your windows and run it for a bit on warm without the air con to melt the frozen stuff and ensure you get a little puddle underneath, otherwise it could indicate your drain tube is blocked.

You can do all of this without driving the vehicle of course.

Last edited:
Make sure to run the air con for a bit and ensure recirculation is turned off - that'll draw some fresh air through the vents and freeze any moisture on the condenser.
Evaporator maybe? Condenser is the hot bit!

Thanks for all the pointers. Hopefully get it sorted tomorrow when I've a bit of time and a full charge

Got a good run in the car yesterday and used the tips given here and smells all sorted. Obviously an issue from the car sitting on a boat from China then idle during prep period. Air con on for a good while then heater on for good while. All smells gone

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom